Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Move on from Gana lad would soon be a wage drain his main attribute is his speed and physicality that will inevitably wane over the next few years...

But he'd look so good in this:

Screenshot 2022-07-24 at 19.29.32.png

I'm 99% sure you know what I'm unhappy about. You can try and turn it on me by saying I'm not happy about this that and the other but, just for clarity, I don't want us to pay big fees for anyone unless they are as close to guaranteed quality (I know there are no absolute guarantees as this seems to be your catchphrase now, but there are safer and riskier bets) and Winks is certainly not that. I don't really want us paying big fees at all, we've proven we're bad at doing that so many times it's become a meme. My fear is that we will spend moderate fees, because that's all we have the budget for, on poor players from the PL who are as close to guaranteed failures (see my previous comment on guarantees) rather than speculate on CHEAP prospects who might be better (these are the riskier bets I'm all for). Cornet and Winks are poor players, the fact that they are some of the most consistently linked players to us worries me. The only other club linked to Cornet is Forest and nobody is linked with Winks except us. It speaks volumes. So, no, I don't want us to sign Winks for £20m or for two kit kats. The fact we can't afford to sign anyone, seemingly for any fee, should worry everyone and it certainly worries me.
I genuinely didn't, which is why I asked. You seemed unhappy that we're targeting a player like Winks, but then equally unhappy that we decided not to spend money on him?

We do have money to play with, but we're having to stretch it very thin. It's really frustrating, it's a direct result of the mismanagement of the club by the charlatans at the top who should have gone yesterday. But, unfortunately, even if they went tomorrow, it wouldn't change our position right now, unless we can somehow magic some interest in our fringe players, which hopefully we can garner by the end of the window.

The reason - or one of the reasons - we're in such a mess is that in the past we have not been sensible with money, and have just paid what clubs asked for and given the players big wages to boot. I'm glad we're not doing that now, but equally so it does mean deals are even harder to get done.

Decent win today but we still need three to four players. If we could at least get one or two the next two weeks it would feel more positive. I don't expect much beyond consolidation this season if we don't add and recruit well, it's risking another battle against the drop.

Status
Not open for further replies.