Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the women's football last night, we should put in an offer for Beth Mead. Sensational.

I do seriously wonder though if we're reaching the point where we drop the gender divide in football. Why not have someone like Beth playing alongside other quality players, whatever their sex?

I'll leave a little space here for someone to make a joke about DCL's dress sense.

Nice joke. See you tomorrow.

Being 'conservative' here but youve got four names:

Dele
MGW
Gordon
Gallagher

If they were all rotating in 2 positions then thats a good thing for competition.

You make some very good points regarding top performers on loan about MGW and Gallagher -- although so far all we know is that were only keen on one.

As for formation:

Pickford
Patterson Mina Tarkowski Mykolenko
Gallagher ??? Dele
MGW DCL Gordon

If we add in a DM like Garner from United (Going with the young English theme) then that looks like 5 players pressing in front of a midfield anchor.

For the addition of Tarkowski (Free) + MGW (£25mil?) and Gallagher (Loan with opttion?) its a low cost improvement in 3 positions...

This makes sense and i noticed it too when Broja was mentioned. In fact, we'd almost 'need' to sign Broja as the whole pressing system falls apart if DCL is out.

The other idea may be to use MGW (or perhaps Dele?) as a false 9 which keeps players in the side who press from the front.

Makes no sense if Rondon plays and of course Gray probably isnt suited either.

If we see Lampard as going 433 or 4141 or something similar with a high press and a sitting player acting as an 'anchor' then the links and signings start to make sense.

In theory for this to work well we'd need MGW + CF + CM + DM with perhaps 2 loans used and u21s as backup.

That side with Barry from his loan year in or a peak Carsley would actually be very very good

We should assume Chelsea keep Gallagher in their squad as all the buzz here in London is that is the likely outcome with Broja the one sold.
If Gallacher isn't promised a prominent (starting) role, I can't see him staying, he pushed to be loaned last season when he realized he'd just be a squad player - given the season he just had, breaking into the England side and Chelsea being in way more dissaray after the Abramovic stuff - I don't see him willing to stay unless he knows he's gonna be pretty much playing week in week out.

This makes sense and i noticed it too when Broja was mentioned. In fact, we'd almost 'need' to sign Broja as the whole pressing system falls apart if DCL is out.

The other idea may be to use MGW (or perhaps Dele?) as a false 9 which keeps players in the side who press from the front.

Makes no sense if Rondon plays and of course Gray probably isnt suited either.

If we see Lampard as going 433 or 4141 or something similar with a high press and a sitting player acting as an 'anchor' then the links and signings start to make sense.

In theory for this to work well we'd need MGW + CF + CM + DM with perhaps 2 loans used and u21s as backup.

I think Gray *can* press, but he doesn't seem to keep up the intensity as well as some of the others

The other one, possibly worth mentioning, even though we may not see him at all next season is Townsend - he also has good pressing numbers

If this line of thinking is correct, I think your guess is spot on - it would be a wide forward player (possibly MGW), a striker who can press (Broja, maybe Dennis), a centre mid with legs (who Doucoure may end up being cover for) in the Gallagher mould who can support the press, plus a more playmaker type as the number 6 to help us play through lines better when we have the ball

If Gallacher isn't promised a prominent (starting) role, I can't see him staying, he pushed to be loaned last season when he realized he'd just be a squad player - given the season he just had, breaking into the England side and Chelsea being in way more dissaray after the Abramovic stuff - I don't see him willing to stay unless he knows he's gonna be pretty much playing week in week out.
I can see him getting some game time at Chelsea, but they are looking to strengthen their side still, and already have a top class midfield. If Gallagher has any hopes of going to the world cup, he needs to be starting every game. With the best will in the world, that's not going to happen at Chelsea, so his best option is either another loan or a move to somewhere where he's going to be the main man (Everton or otherwise).

Yeah makes sense, even the early link to Zinchenko fits that model too.

Also fits in with what Lampard said about recruitment of the right attitude, mentality, hard worker etc. Which given his career as a player and how he seems to be as a manager is no surprise really.

Also think he'll be fully aware how important that group who basically ran the Chelsea dressing room was fir Mourinho version 1 and will want to recreate that core group of English players who do a lot of the motivation/problem solving internally

We will miss Richarlison a lot in terms of pressing, for it to work all the lines have to press front to back, young flash can do it but maybe lack the energy, DCL can d it (but you want him in the box or occupying defenders) Dele, hmm. Think we will miss his pressing.

We will miss Richarlison a lot in terms of pressing, for it to work all the lines have to press front to back, young flash can do it but maybe lack the energy, DCL can d it (but you want him in the box or occupying defenders) Dele, hmm. Think we will miss his pressing.

No arguments there mate, rare games aside though you always feel when we press it's not with a coherent plan more individuals doing it. If we recruit with that as a fundamental part of our game plan then hopefully you'll see better results (even losing someone like Richy who ran his arse off) other thing is having the players to capitalize on turning the ball over with high pressing, something we've lacked badly imo.

Broja didn't even get on their pre season plane

Can't see how Broja stays tbf - unless it's a COVID vaccine reason which they didn't wanna state (very unlikely that)

But can see the new owners at Chelsea cashing in on 5-6 of the academy lads in order to give Tuchel a lot of funds to play with (there yanks so not gonna find it out there own pocket - and supposedly have that have to provide 200m backing per season guaranteed in the takeover deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.