Everton Summer 2024 Transfer Thread

No. One. Is. Buying. Pickford.

No club abroad have the money to buy him

No prem club need or fancy him.

Past 2 seasons he could've been picked off cheaper but wasn't. He signed a new deal last year which runs out in 2027.

Unless he has a release clause, no club is paying north of £50mill for Pickford.
I do think there is an arrogance of the big clubs when it comes to Pickford. There’s still some stigma that he’s unstable and liable to mistake (something wildly perpetuated by the red media after the crippling of St Virg).

The fact that United went for Onana over Pickford shows that he’ll never be considered when there’s a fancy exotic option available.

He won’t be sold.

But Donnarummas is an exception to the rule. It's why they say goalkeepers prime is 30+

The reason for the reference was, he has shown over many seasons the levels of performance he brings to us and England and has undoubtedly been unchallenged in both which is not normal for English goalkeepers.

I don't think selling any individual player is automatic relegation if we replace them well.

But I wouldn't put my trust in a 21 y/o with only 50 appearances to his name in goal, who can't prove he is a better option then Jason Steele who isn't even in the top ten English keepers right now.

Why is being "Englands number one goalkeeper" important compared to being Hollands number 1 goalkeeper?

The best goalkeepers in England are typically the foreign ones.

As for age, I saw Donnarummas debut...he was top notch even then.

Selling Pickford isnt an automatic relegation...if hes replaced correctly.

Ive heard the same about the likes of DCL and Richarlison. Its a team game.

Who knows but he would walk into some of thos top 6 teams as well as United with their 'New Tim Howard' keeper.

Agree on the most part but Saudi would pay £10-15mil for him im sure.

Were talking about United right who loaned out Sancho & Greenwood. Have taken losses on so many yet replaced them.

As others have said, Chelsea, United, Spurs to name just 3 would benefit from having Pickford.

Definitely seems happy but you never know.

Why is being "Englands number one goalkeeper" important compared to being Hollands number 1 goalkeeper?

The best goalkeepers in England are typically the foreign ones.

As for age, I saw Donnarummas debut...he was top notch even then.

Selling Pickford isnt an automatic relegation...if hes replaced correctly.

Ive heard the same about the likes of DCL and Richarlison. Its a team game.

Who knows but he would walk into some of thos top 6 teams as well as United with their 'New Tim Howard' keeper.

Agree on the most part but Saudi would pay £10-15mil
I have seen you mention this Verbruggen multiple times but replacing England's number one goalkeeper with a 21 y/o who hasn't had multiple seasons as number one would be suicidal.

Any potential increase in his value would be outweighed by significant decrease in revenue in the championship
Verbruggen would likely be 30 odd million and he hasn't been particularly fantastic in rotation with Steele.
Absolutely no way in hell I'd change him for Pickford.

The point is what money we would have yo spend from it, Verbruggen would not be an option for us brighton would want top money for him and we would not be ale to pay. I dont think we replace the quality we get from pickford if we sell him. You say is not an automatic relegation if we sell him like rich/dcl but well similar to rich/dcl then all walk into this side. No player we have bought in since rich is better than him and would be the same if pickford left.

I dont think weve made the best signings due to our stadium being built. If for example we used 100% of the fees from the sales then im confident we would have replaced Richarlison, Iwobi and suchlike with perhaps superior players.

I also dont think Verbruggen is as good as Pickford is now. But I do think he has a good chance of coming in and being 'good' for us and improving every season to a level better than Pickford.

I think Pickford will be top level until 35 and then his value will have dropped significantly.

Meanwhile Verbruggen would then be 26 and his ability and his value will both increase significantly.

In our situation we need appreciating assets, not depreciating ones.

If not Verbruggen then someone else with a similar profile whether younger / older.

If we had sold Pickford last summer and signed Verbruggen for £18mil I think the difference would have seen us sign a decent right back. So anything lost in one position medium term could have been gained in another.

But Donnarummas is an exception to the rule. It's why they say goalkeepers prime is 30+

The reason for the reference was, he has shown over many seasons the levels of performance he brings to us and England and has undoubtedly been unchallenged in both which is not normal for English goalkeepers.

I don't think selling any individual player is automatic relegation if we replace them well.

But I wouldn't put my trust in a 21 y/o with only 50 appearances to his name in goal, who can't prove he is a better option then Jason Steele who isn't even in the top ten English keepers right now.

I wanted Verbruggen last summer. Not sure on the Steele or Verbruggen comparison. I imagine its because he wanted to ease Verbruggen in. Now after a season he can be 1st choice next i suspect.

Its a bit moot on the name but any other keeper with similar characteristics on the way up over the next 5 years rather than on the way down would make sense to me.

I think the trick is to sell players in their prime about to go downhill and bring in the next one on tge conveyor belt who begins a level higher than the last one started and leaves when on a level higher than the previous one ended.

Thats how to generate significanf value on the balance sheet.

In terms of Pickford being England number 1 then who else has there been to compete with him? Likewise at Everton he has never had any real competition.

Verbruggen would likely be 30 odd million and he hasn't been particularly fantastic in rotation with Steele.
Absolutely no way in hell I'd change him for Pickford.

Question, lets say you could go back 5 or 6 seasons and sell Coleman for a fee high enough to sign a young right back who would be good enough to start games and improve in his first season to be quickly made Holland right back.

Would you do it? Or would you be happier where we currently are?

Aaron Wan-Bissaka has been exceptional for Utd today. If we could get him in the summer I'd be made up.

No thanks. Wages are obscene for Everton. We need to start becoming smart in the market.

Always liked Wan Bissaka. He'd be an ideal RB for us I think.

Imagine that defence:

Wan Bissaka - Tarkowski - Brantwaite - Mykolenko

That is as close as impregnable as you get in this league.

1 year on his deal. Offer him a 5 year deal on lower wages and he may prefer the security and game time.

That's fair, but if I was to sign someone like him it would be as Pickford's understudy for a season or two.

You are right to criticise are lack of forward planning in some areas aka Young

Would say not a criticism of the goalkeeper specifically sure he will come good in a few years just goalkeeper is a position you can't hide and it would be a lot of pressure for someone when we will be battling for safety at a young age to stand up and deliver it's rare
I dont think weve made the best signings due to our stadium being built. If for example we used 100% of the fees from the sales then im confident we would have replaced Richarlison, Iwobi and suchlike with perhaps superior players.

I also dont think Verbruggen is as good as Pickford is now. But I do think he has a good chance of coming in and being 'good' for us and improving every season to a level better than Pickford.

I think Pickford will be top level until 35 and then his value will have dropped significantly.

Meanwhile Verbruggen would then be 26 and his ability and his value will both increase significantly.

In our situation we need appreciating assets, not depreciating ones.

If not Verbruggen then someone else with a similar profile whether younger / older.

If we had sold Pickford last summer and signed Verbruggen for £18mil I think the difference would have seen us sign a decent right back. So anything lost in one position medium term could have been gained in another.

I wanted Verbruggen last summer. Not sure on the Steele or Verbruggen comparison. I imagine its because he wanted to ease Verbruggen in. Now after a season he can be 1st choice next i suspect.

Its a bit moot on the name but any other keeper with similar characteristics on the way up over the next 5 years rather than on the way down would make sense to me.

I think the trick is to sell players in their prime about to go downhill and bring in the next one on tge conveyor belt who begins a level higher than the last one started and leaves when on a level higher than the previous one ended.

Thats how to generate significanf value on the balance sheet.

In terms of Pickford being England number 1 then who else has there been to compete with him? Likewise at Everton he has never had any real competition.

Question, lets say you could go back 5 or 6 seasons and sell Coleman for a fee high enough to sign a young right back who would be good enough to start games and improve in his first season to be quickly made Holland right back.

Would you do it? Or would you be happier where we currently are?

Always liked Wan Bissaka. He'd be an ideal RB for us I think.

Imagine that defence:

Wan Bissaka - Tarkowski - Brantwaite - Mykolenko

That is as close as impregnable as you get in this league.

1 year on his deal. Offer him a 5 year deal on lower wages and he may prefer the security and game time.

That's fair, but if I was to sign someone like him it would be as Pickford's understudy for a season or two.

You are right to criticise are lack of forward planning in some areas aka Young

Would say not a criticism of the goalkeeper specifically sure he will come good in a few years just goalkeeper is a position you can't hide and it would be a lot of pressure for someone when we will be battling for safety at a young age to stand up and deliver it's rare

For me it depends on the confidence we have in our youth players and if one has a pathway to replace or compete with Pickford in 5 years and if they extend their contract until then e.g Lukjanciks.

Sorry am I misunderstanding what's going on here?

Pickford has, for 3 seasons, been one of the main reasons we haven't been relegated and people want to get rid?

You can sign all the promise you like, but promise isn't going to keep us up

Promise is signing Branthwaite. Promise is playing him.