Everton. I hate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sad times for us all.

Zero ambition and expectation.

Don't actually look forward to going to the game now, and I do it out of family-historical obligation.

We Yanks who follow the PL choose teams that appeal to us. If I were new to football in 2018 and I was looking for a team to support, there’s absolutely no way I would pick Everton. They are now what Wham or Newcastle was five years ago, overpriced, mediocre, and unlovable on any level.

To be fair, I don’t think there’s any PL team I would choose to support right now, for one reason or another.

The thing that worries me is that I’m not even sure I hate them right now.

Hate, as a mode of guilt or of pride, generates destructive thoughts (but at a lesser intensity than paranoia). Antithetical thoughts, when directed to other people, represent pride; when directed to oneself, represent guilt. At a much lesser intensity of denigration, criticisms of other people represent jealousy, whilst criticisms of myself arise from my sense of idealism.

Nicked that from another website obviously, but I’ve genuinely moved beyond hate this season. Against arsenal, I lost it. Went on a post match tear akin to being dumped by a woman you’ve been seeing and in love with for years. Left before half time, drinking in the street, drinking on the tube, pub stopped serving me, sick all night and woke up to find I had been (deservedly) given a temporary ban from GOT for a furious “non swearing” filled post (sorry mods ).

Today though, I might have yelled at the odd decision or groaned at the mistakes, but I didn’t feel hatred. I sang and I hoped and I cheered what (very) Little there was to cheer, but mostly, the game was so dire, the football so poor and lacking in excitement or entertainment that I mostly talked to my sister, laughed, joked and enjoyed our time together and some beers before and after the game. It’s a healthier and happier way to go to the match I guess, but it’s not the point. I’m supposed to love and hate. I’m supposed to be ecstatic and devastated. If all it really was about was a good time with friends and family over a drink, then I’d go to Dulwich Hamlet every week instead of attend 2 wins in 18 matches travelling all over the country and Europe this season. I hate that I don’t even hate them anymore this season....

Going into the derby making terrible errors all over the show, we never win there EVER, and the logic suggests that for once our team is definitely better than theirs and that we'll do them.

Inevitably we'll get smashed, and yet I buy into the idea of us winning there every single season. There's nothing else in my life that constantly does this to me.
We are always better than them until kick-off. Last time we actually were was 1987 and we still lost

This result for some reason seems to annoy more than most, lost a chance to make ground on the two above and truly looked as awful as I’ve seen us! We are an awful state at present!

Watford were crap

We weren’t much better but that match was there for the winning.

Then, with about ten minutes to go we see the man’s intentions and limited horizons.

Schneiderlin starts stripping out.

That moment encapsulated all that Sam era Everton has become.

But even that didn’t comprehend to pass as we gifted them a goal and were forced into the two substitutions we should have made with fifteen minutes remaining and the scores still level.

Status
Not open for further replies.