Everton. I hate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton , they are the curse that anchors me.
Twice in my life I have reached momentous life changing moments and backed out at the last moment because of that damned football club. The second time I was Canada bound, for good. Everything was sorted, I had come to terms with missing family and friends but , at the last , I couldn't leave because of a stupid football team. The reward? I witnessed the most successful period in our history. The penalty? I still live in this flamin country . Was it worth it? Hell,yes.
Why can I not leave this millstone behind? What demonic hold does this entity have me in.?
Born in Wally Hospital , into a family of Evertonians. Raised in Walton. Educated in the shadow of Goodison. I progressed from minding cars('mindyercarpleasesir) to going the the match with my ST holding Dad and Uncle or cousins , in the sixties. The sixties what a time to be alive ,who couldn't give their soul to that team? First heroes Ball, Morrisey Alan Whittle, good days. I didn't know it then but they already had me.
So so through the barren 70s, Bingham , Supermac,Lyons ,Lee, Latchford and KING!. Kendall OUT!,
An F.A.cup then,unbelievably CHAMPIONS what a team.
Then came the 86 final. We had failed previously in the league cup, but this was the F.A. Cup . This would be our moment , beat them at Wembley , nobody would take that away from us. What a day ,packed to the rafters, LINEKER! Look at them they're falling apart one more goal and it's ours!
In the end ,almost inevitably, 1-3. I was crushed leaving that ground , sat on the coach waiting to leave unable to avoid the sound of their celebration from within. God ! I hated Everton ,even when we were stunningly good we still contrived to fail. Why couldn't I ditch this pariah? Why travel up and down the country just to be crushed? Then I realised,I couldn't hate Everton for long, I couldn't leave Everton , because over the years, perhaps even before I went to Goodison , I was PART of the weft and weave of Everton. Like untold thousands before and after I WAS the club. Hating Everton is pointless, it's like hating yourself pointless and unproductive.
You can ,if you wish ,tear yourself away , I know many who have done it over the years , but they know they've lost something , a part of themselves that yearns to again be part of that Royal blue and white brotherhood.
So chin up blues , be angry be frustrated, but don't hate Everton because chairman, directors ,managers,coaches and players don't constitute Everton, they are our servants .
We , the supporters ,we're Everton, sod the rest.
( look out Arsenal were coming and were damn angry)

Twice in my life I have reached momentous life changing moments and backed out at the last moment because of that damned football club. The second time I was Canada bound, for good. Everything was sorted, I had come to terms with missing family and friends but , at the last , I couldn't leave because of a stupid football team. The reward? I witnessed the most successful period in our history. The penalty? I still live in this flamin country . Was it worth it? Hell,yes.
Why can I not leave this millstone behind? What demonic hold does this entity have me in.?
Born in Wally Hospital , into a family of Evertonians. Raised in Walton. Educated in the shadow of Goodison. I progressed from minding cars('mindyercarpleasesir) to going the the match with my ST holding Dad and Uncle or cousins , in the sixties. The sixties what a time to be alive ,who couldn't give their soul to that team? First heroes Ball, Morrisey Alan Whittle, good days. I didn't know it then but they already had me.
So so through the barren 70s, Bingham , Supermac,Lyons ,Lee, Latchford and KING!. Kendall OUT!,
Then came the 86 final. We had failed previously in the league cup, but this was the F.A. Cup . This would be our moment , beat them at Wembley , nobody would take that away from us. What a day ,packed to the rafters, LINEKER! Look at them they're falling apart one more goal and it's ours!
In the end ,almost inevitably, 1-3. I was crushed leaving that ground , sat on the coach waiting to leave unable to avoid the sound of their celebration from within. God ! I hated Everton ,even when we were stunningly good we still contrived to fail. Why couldn't I ditch this pariah? Why travel up and down the country just to be crushed? Then I realised,I couldn't hate Everton for long, I couldn't leave Everton , because over the years, perhaps even before I went to Goodison , I was PART of the weft and weave of Everton. Like untold thousands before and after I WAS the club. Hating Everton is pointless, it's like hating yourself pointless and unproductive.
You can ,if you wish ,tear yourself away , I know many who have done it over the years , but they know they've lost something , a part of themselves that yearns to again be part of that Royal blue and white brotherhood.
So chin up blues , be angry be frustrated, but don't hate Everton because chairman, directors ,managers,coaches and players don't constitute Everton, they are our servants .
Wow. What a post.

Yay, Eggy ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.