Everton fanbase - how to make a positive contribution to the team's success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love it when people who sit on their nice warm comfy sofa in America to watch the games come on to have a go at the people who travel thousands of miles in all sorts of weather at a huge financial cost, for not being friendly enough to the players. I have no problem with armchair fans, I have a big problem with armchair fans who tell matchgoing fans what they should and shouldn't do. If you're not there putting up with it then pipe down.

It would be nice if we could all pull together the crap on the field has the fans at each other as well.

Any sports psychologist will tell you(not that you need one its common sense) that moans and groans will have a negative impact on performance, not to mention the full on abuse. it sems we have fallen into a cycle of blame instead of all pulling in the right direction. There's a massive disconnect and it shows no signs of closing any time soon.

the split this discussion causes is hillarious. Im thinking people booing are on the ‘booing doesnt change results’/‘its not our fault’ side, and the rest of us doesnt care or do think its harming the club. Im not sure where I stand, when a team is playing garbage, booing is a way to tell then to shape up. Works if you have a mentally strong team. If you have a weak one, booing will just make things worse. Booing every week, even worse. Guess which bracked we’re in?

Yes, we as supporters can affect a game, everyone knows that. Denying it when it goes against our club is just silly. We didnt get the team in this mess tho, Billy did.

Can't believe some of these shouts saying booing fans aren't to blame. The perpetrators truly believe this? It defies all reason and logic.

Imagine somebody, a small crowd even, hissing and swearing and booing every time you pick up a tool, a pen or sit at a keyboard.

Is this going to get the best out of you? Will you feel confident? Will you want to stay? Will a talented worker or manager walking past your workplace hear his and think "wow i'd really like to work there."?

Yes, I get the anger at the bad performance, I get the enormous amount of cash they have thrown at them breeds resentment at lack of effort. I get the temptation to show derision - I feel each and every bit myself, what fan wouldn't?But God knows we really need to apply some intelligence as a crowd and rise above simple instinct. NSNO is not an excuse to deprive the team we have of any confidence. Remember Jags having to tell a crumbling Barkley that they were booing the manager, not him? This utter nonsense absolutely effects our, OUR players - the ones we profess to support.

Howling at the moon is not the answer ffs.

Seemingly a high percentage of our fanbase in a nutshell - 'I hope we loose to City'

Still up for getting beat against City?

If you wanted/want us to loose V City you have zero credibility in crying when when loose now

Census is beating City we are helping them.
With that logic should roll over & loose every match (or better still liquidate as a club) because taking points off any team retrospectively helps Liverpool. Small-time mentality for a so called 'big club' We should continue bickering with West Ham if thats our mentality.

Not aimed at individuals more a collective observation of some 'fans' - I can only imagine it brushed off as 'banter' but it ain't as it was the same last time Liverpool were going for the league. Everton fans celebrating on City coaches amongst a list of embarrassments that day.
The fans have always been fickle - 'we're happy to win a cup over league position [outside of relegation]' Martinez prioritises cups gets sacked 'we were crap in the league'.

'I hope we get beat to stop Liverpool winning the league'

'Big club' not a chance, small time mentality from an obsessive fan base who would rather Everton loose at the detriment of Liverpool.
Start concerning yourself with affairs at Everton instead of giving a toss what goes on across the park.
There is no 'success' for us if Liverpool fail to win the league and if you deem it 'success' you are part of the problem.

I'm 25 i've not seen us win anything in my lifetime - I want us to win every game we play

Can't believe some of these shouts saying booing fans aren't to blame. The perpetrators truly believe this? It defies all reason and logic.

Imagine somebody, a small crowd even, hissing and swearing and booing every time you pick up a tool, a pen or sit at a keyboard.

Is this going to get the best out of you? Will you feel confident? Will you want to stay? Will a talented worker or manager walking past your workplace hear his and think "wow i'd really like to work there."?

Yes, I get the anger at the bad performance, I get the enormous amount of cash they have thrown at them breeds resentment at lack of effort. I get the temptation to show derision - I feel each and every bit myself, what fan wouldn't?But God knows we really need to apply some intelligence as a crowd and rise above simple instinct. NSNO is not an excuse to deprive the team we have of any confidence. Remember Jags having to tell a crumbling Barkley that they were booing the manager, not him? This utter nonsense absolutely effects our, OUR players - the ones we profess to support.

Howling at the moon is not the answer ffs.
This is literally the worst argument possible for this type of thing. Imagine being paid £80k every time you even think about picking up a pen. Imagine those same people roaring their appreciation every time you do the very simplest thing like put the kettle on. Imagine having the opportunity to be a hero to hundreds of thousands of people with your name remembered forever for just being relatively good at your job, pretty much just doing exactly what you get paid for. All of those things are the reality for footballers, you can't just isolate the downside without accepting that there are many more upsides.

'Big club' not a chance, small time mentality from an obsessive fan base who would rather Everton loose at the detriment of Liverpool.
Start concerning yourself with affairs at Everton instead of giving a toss what goes on across the park.
In our version of the GrandOldTeam song we even mention them. Every home game, we mention the rs in song. Do they mention us? Ofc not, why would they? I honestly find that ‘we dont care what the red side...’ part cringy and humiliating. It should never have been included from the get go, and shows that we totally do care what they do, or else we wouldnt include them in our song.
Tradition or not, it needs to be cut.

Great post R934, I feel your pain. Im 30 and have never seen us do anything of note.

In our version of the GrandOldTeam song we even mention them. Every home game, we mention the rs in song. Do they mention us? Ofc not, why would they? I honestly find that ‘we dont care what the red side...’ part cringy and humiliating. It should never have been included from the get go, and shows that we totally do care what they do, or else we wouldnt include them in our song.
Tradition or not, it needs to be cut.

Great post R934, I feel your pain. Im 30 and have never seen us do anything of note.
They do mention us in songs, and they mention United etc. It's just standard football rivalry.

This is literally the worst argument possible for this type of thing. Imagine being paid £80k every time you even think about picking up a pen. Imagine those same people roaring their appreciation every time you do the very simplest thing like put the kettle on. Imagine having the opportunity to be a hero to hundreds of thousands of people with your name remembered forever for just being relatively good at your job, pretty much just doing exactly what you get paid for. All of those things are the reality for footballers, you can't just isolate the downside without accepting that there are many more upsides.
Of course there are upsides to being a pro footballer. However the human psyche can be fragile irrespective of the money that's thrown at it. You cannot buy inner strength you have to learn it or be born with it. Undoubtedly some of the very best footballers have that strength. However, they're beyond the market we currently operate in. We might have some more skillfull players we all think will be world-beaters but nobody understands why they don't kick on. They're cheap enough for us for a reason, because those at the top clubs will be able to recognise and afford those players with mental strength. 'Winners' as they're called.

So I assume with your counter argument you think booing, just to indulge your own inner frustrations, will enhance the performance of others.

Stone me!

They do mention us in songs, and they mention United etc. It's just standard football rivalry.
Yes, when playing against us. They dont talk about us in songs about their own club, do they?

If they sang ‘blahblahblah you never walk alone, unless you stumble into the blue side of town’ or some garbage like that, it would be similar. Slagging us off with songs while plaing us isnt the same. I havent and never will read lyrics for any rs song, so I might be wrong here.

Seemingly a high percentage of our fanbase in a nutshell - 'I hope we loose to City'

Still up for getting beat against City?

If you wanted/want us to loose V City you have zero credibility in crying when when loose now

Census is beating City we are helping them.
With that logic should roll over & loose every match (or better still liquidate as a club) because taking points off any team retrospectively helps Liverpool. Small-time mentality for a so called 'big club' We should continue bickering with West Ham if thats our mentality.

Not aimed at individuals more a collective observation of some 'fans' - I can only imagine it brushed off as 'banter' but it ain't as it was the same last time Liverpool were going for the league. Everton fans celebrating on City coaches amongst a list of embarrassments that day.
The fans have always been fickle - 'we're happy to win a cup over league position [outside of relegation]' Martinez prioritises cups gets sacked 'we were crap in the league'.

'I hope we get beat to stop Liverpool winning the league'

There is no 'success' for us if Liverpool fail to win the league and if you deem it 'success' you are part of the problem.

I'm 25 i've not seen us win anything in my lifetime - I want us to win every game we play

The only fans that don’t want City to beat us are Liverpool fans.

I totally get what you’re saying and normally I would agree with you, but the reaction to them winning the league would be torture. They still go on about Istanbul now and it was 14 years ago. Imagine 14 years from now and they’re still banging on about how they won the league, by then it will have embellished to them beating the best Premier League team in history. Doing it by playing the best football and that all the referees were against them for the season.

So there is nothing wrong with anyone who will be happy for us losing, to the only side that is capable of stopping this potential torture.

I stopped going the game when Fat Sam was appointed, even before this our fans were toxic. Apparently now it’s worse. I’ve heard our fans described as embarrassing. Also it makes me laugh when people who go the game think none match going fans can’t have an opinion on the issue. I know massive blues who can’t afford to go, doesn’t make their opinions less important.

I stopped going the game when Fat Sam was appointed, even before this our fans were toxic. Apparently now it’s worse. I’ve heard our fans described as embarrassing. Also it makes me laugh when people who go the game think none match going fans can’t have an opinion on the issue. I know massive blues who can’t afford to go, doesn’t make their opinions less important.

Commenting on a lack of atmosphere when you’re not there to either contribute to it, or know that it is in fact poor, is the issue. It’s like when someone tells you a holiday destination is awful, when they’ve never been there.

Status
Not open for further replies.