Everton fanbase - how to make a positive contribution to the team's success

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not necessarily an opposite action though to be fair. The post you were replying to referenced staying silent, which isn't really the opposite of giving encouragement. I don't agree with booing and heckling and the general abuse of individuals regardless of how they play, but much of what people are talking about in here is just every day moaning and groaning.

It's not easy to just politely clap the 30th misplaced pass your central midfielder has played when you're chasing a goal, there will inevitably be howls of frustration. It's like dealing with your kids in a way, the first couple of times they do something wrong you calmly say 'Don't do that please buddy' but when they do it for the 10th time you're shouting 'HOW MANY TIMES HAVE I GOT TO TELL YOU you horrible freeloading little tw…' sorry I've lost my train of thought. Anyway, it's just human nature.

There's lots of grey areas in between the two general points of view in here for sure.

If it's an hour in and the crowd are behind them as I've mentioned and some useless prat in midfield is wasting all our possession then I can understand a crowd reaction. Everybody will want a change made....and now.

If it's 5 mins in and somebody's messed up a simple pass then I don't see the point of screaming abuse at them.

That's fine, but what purpose does your opposite action serve?

Is the end goal for all not a win?

Not being sarcy, honestly without just dismissing any criticism or opinion on it whats the point of putting the boot into a player during the game like screaming at Davies when he makes an arse out of another attempted tackle and they run past him? He is young, a fan of the team and does try even if not up to scratch. He doesn't pick himself. I don't see the logic of it when what you want is them to do well and win.

If a player shows determination and desire to do his best, they will be applauded and cheered. Even if the result of what they’ve done isn’t what they meant. Which is why Niasse was much loved by the crowd, despite being a very limited player.

Players that hide on the pitch, let players run past them with half hearted challenges and chase after balls with a jog; will be reacted to negatively. This is why the crowd are so down, because of the bunch of the effortless players that are currently being selected to play for our beloved club.

I refer you to https://www.grandoldteam.com/forum/...-the-teams-success.106279/page-8#post-6838446 for my reasoning.

Completely agree with what you wrote on the first page with regards to youth football. But it’s the same as the 12th man effect being imported in from American Football to our game, contextually it just isn’t the same. The problems kids have of mental discipline, self image, ego and social standing just aren’t applicable to professional players. So as much as the ‘don’t be a d*ck’ rule applies in youth sport, in professional sport it’s not really applicable.
I have to completely disagree with point 'c' about the twelfth man. The logic that away teams' poor performance is down to them not being able to hear themselves rather than it being the home fans positive effect on their own team has an enormous flaw. Away teams can't hear above the noise of the twelfth man, but somehow the home team can?

I don't disagree with the case put by Baz Rathbone that top players shouldn't be effected by crowd, but as I've said a number of times here, just perhaps some of our players aren't that mentally tough. There have been enough people on this forum alone allege the same. So what are we to do? We have the players we have. Let's assume then that enough are mentally weak enough to actually effect their performance to the detriment of us all. Will booing improve their state of mind and rally them? Will booing raise their performance such that other teams will want to buy them, or will booing make them crumble into the type if player we are lucky to find a loan club for?

No matter what they're paid they're still humans. You cannot pay emotion out of a man nor buy confidence in. Morale is what wins or loses battles, not numbers of dead. It is morale and the ability to brass it out that will make one side crack and flee the field, not just skill or lack of it. This is why opposing sides had war cries and leaders capable of rousing their men. I doubt the likes of Napoleon got his successes just by jeering and yelling at his own men. The Ferguson hairdryer is only one side of how he managed his teams. If all he ever did was roast them they'd have been as bad as we are now. There are very few people who are not affected in any way by what others say.

Damn it, if Marco can't rouse the men, then the crowd should. We want to win, right? We want to share in he team's success and be part of it? The crowd has to contribute, being supporters of Everton rather than just fans.

If a player shows determination and desire to do his best, they will be applauded and cheered. Even if the result of what they’ve done isn’t what they meant. Which is why Niasse was much loved by the crowd, despite being a very limited player.

Players that hide on the pitch, let players run past them with half hearted challenges and chase after balls with a jog; will be reacted to negatively. This is why the crowd are so down, because of the bunch of the effortless players that are currently being selected to play for our beloved club.
When players go hiding on the pitch - I agree it's frustrating, infuriating even. You're suddenly reminded of the enormous wealth they collect for standing on the grass and not putting the effort in. What's more I agree it's difficult to do anything other than show derision.

But don't you think that the hiding might be a symptom of crumbling confidence? I don't think any pro footballer gets where they are at the top by not wanting the ball. As far as I see it they only get to the point where they don't want the ball when they're terrified about how 30 odd thousand men might react.

A fair response to their wealth and privileged position? Probably not. Understandable? Certainly.

I think we are arguing from a different standpoint then as I agree with you up to a point but I wouldn't say the new players, the young out of their depth players or the new manager are not trying. I think they are but just haven't been good enough and that for me warrants support. They aren't to blame for what crap we still have to put up with in our squad and the general mess of the last few years.

How have the supporters (home and away) done the team/club any justice lately?

I remember on this forum when we went to play Bournemouth the mockery we were making of their fan base for being mouse quiet during games and barely knowing they’ve shown up.

That’s aged well. Especially when our home fanbase can be outshone by any given teams U17 support group.

When I think of a team and how a fan base can affect them I think of the 2014 Brazil WC squad. Every national anthem for Brazil gave me chills and inspired the team to their very best on every occasion until the Germany game. When Germany went up 1 goal the stadium fell to a whisper and the team noticeably grew anxious. Then Germany scored their second and the uproar immediately ensued with whistling and jeering at the team and they went into full on melt down.

Of course they went on to lose 7-1 but it is THE best example anyone will need when saying fans have no part in the game on the pitch and that they aren’t accountable for playing a part in the teams form.
They are absolutely not accountable. They pay to watch a game. Only the players have a job. If you mean fans can inspire then you have to remember inspiration is a two way deal in football. If the team appear to lack urgency and determination nobody is going to cheer that.

I was listening to that blueroom podcast on my way to work and the intensely annoying American guy on it made the point that we have a likeable group of players and because we love them we should be able to make some noise and a positive atmosphere, but the bloke is totally wrong.

This is the blandest most beige group of players we’ve ever had in my lifetime. Baines and Coleman not withstanding we won’t remember any of these in ten or fifteen years particularly fondly, none of them have any edge that made Cahill, Arteta, Ferguson and talismans. There’s no snide like Mirallas and Graveson, no intelligent players like Barry or Carsley and certainly nothing close to a leader. Even Steven Naismith divided opinion which is more than this bunch do.

Couple that with a manager who is in exactly the same mould and it’s no wonder they’re a spineless group who show absolutely nothing on the pitch. If they’re not even remotely exciting why should the fans get excited?

Is there anything the club can do to get the crowd in the mood before the game, get them all in good spirits. I haven't been to a game for a couple of seasons due to health but there always used to be a good vibe outside the ground, is the fan zone still there?

Just trying to think of ways we can all pull together and enjoy going the game again. I'm hoping by next season i shall be able to get back to Goodison.

I believe it works both ways , the supporters need to back the team and understand its not always easy - especially Everton :( - but then we are a special breed !

, but the team and manager in return must show a commitment and dedication to move forward and wear the colours with pride

In my days when I was going to the match it worked both ways I was at games were we played shi** , but the team did all they could therefore we gave them our support regardless , but if we saw the need to have a go - then we did - I recall Dave Thomas having a go at the supporters after a game versus Leeds when we equalised last minute , we didn't turn on Dave for this as we knew he was as upset as we were and never questioned his resolve ?

This pointless slow side-to-side possession nonsense that Martinez, Koeman and now Silva play is the number one reason why the home crowd is so dead.

There is no type of football that is more boring. Hard to get hyped up about our back line passing to each other for a couple mins.

Bin this tepid style of play and that will fix a lot things.

I was listening to that blueroom podcast on my way to work and the intensely annoying American guy on it made the point that we have a likeable group of players and because we love them we should be able to make some noise and a positive atmosphere, but the bloke is totally wrong.

This is the blandest most beige group of players we’ve ever had in my lifetime. Baines and Coleman not withstanding we won’t remember any of these in ten or fifteen years particularly fondly, none of them have any edge that made Cahill, Arteta, Ferguson and talismans. There’s no snide like Mirallas and Graveson, no intelligent players like Barry or Carsley and certainly nothing close to a leader. Even Steven Naismith divided opinion which is more than this bunch do.

Couple that with a manager who is in exactly the same mould and it’s no wonder they’re a spineless group who show absolutely nothing on the pitch. If they’re not even remotely exciting why should the fans get excited?

Can't buy the Mirallas bit, but you are right. It needs something or someone to put some fire into the belly of this lot. They do have talent but added to that is some fight which is sadly missing. Richarlison and his close relationship with the floor sort of sums them up.

Right lads, I want you all in Stanley Park for a series of coordinated fan training sessions. In fifteen minute blocks we will cover the following:-

1) Synchronised Booing
2) Pie eating
3) Abusing the Referee and his assistants
4) Singing practice. Obviously not a whole song just Everton, Everton, Everton, Everton , Everton .... until we get bored and it slows down.
5) Early bus dash
6) Media skills and typing doom and gloom no matter what the result or performance
7) repeat item 1 and add shouts of ‘oh ffs...*insert name’

Oh number 5 - you sassy minx (I'd be up for skipping and going straight to the pies if I'm honest).

I'll never understand anyone leaving before the game is up, regardless of the situation we're in.

People leaving at 2-1 against Wolves need their head checking. You may as well not even had bother going. That's what being a fan is - sticking through it. The atmosphere is absolute garbage unless the ref annoys us. The sooner these unrealistic expectations get brought back down to earth and we can build again, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.