Everton banned from signing players for the academy for 2 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
We are undoubtedly guilty as charged, but my impression over recent years is that often we have paid over the odds for youngsters we want, cut a good deal with the club concerned even if they weren’t happy to lose their player. Recent examples are Josh Bowler QPR, Bassala Sambou Coventry, Lewis Gibson Newcastle. I’m not sure how you make legal approaches as opposed to illegal ones but the cheapest way is to not pay and let it go to a Trubunal where they pay peanuts. It really disfavours small clubs, e.g. Chelsea got the brilliant Ethan Ampadu from Exeter about 18 months ago and paid comparatively little , much to Exeter’s disgust.

Some of what we’ve done is out there on the internet. We got a young Brazilian Pedro Neves in a couple of years ago from Charlton , and his dad talked about what an opportunity it was and he was moving up the whole family . I’m not sure if he is one of the six cited, but we obviously offered him and his family inducements of some sort , illegal or not.

The chances of a youth signing paying off are so close to zero I don't know why clubs bother.

It isn't just us being bad at it, it is just really hard to find one that has worked out.

Obviously the closer they get to 18 the easier it is to judge whether they'll make it but even then the success rate is tiny. At Everton we've had (some still with us and I have hopes for Gibson):

Gethin Jones (Wrexham though he joined at 12)
Courtney Duffus (Cheltenham)
Tyrone Duffus (Cheltenham)
Fraser Hornby (Northampton)
Josh Bowler (QPR)
Lewis Gibson (Newcastle)

Boris Mathis (Metz)
Chris Renshaw (Oldham)
Bassala Sambou (Coventry)
Matt Foulds (Bury)
David Henen (Olympiakos)
George Green (Bradford)
Matty Kennedy (Kilmarnock)
Kieran Agard (Arsenal)
Shane Byrne (Man U)
Jindrich Stanek (Slavia Prague)
Conor Hunt (Tranmere)
Ben McLaughlin (Dundalk)
Femi Orengua (Southend)
Sam Kelly (Norwich)
Karl Sheppard (Galway)
Luke Garbutt (Leeds)

Of the youth team players who have made it through to play for the first team in the past 15 years

Tom Davies (Tranmere until 11 then us)
JJ Kenny (Everton only)
Beni (Everton only)
Dowell (Everton only)
Barkley (Everton only)
Baxter (Everton only)
Connolly (Everton only)
Ledson (Everton only)
McAleny (Everton only)
Pennington (Everton only)
Hibbert (Everton only)
Osman (Everton only)
Rooney (Everton only)
Vaughan (Everton only)
Anichebe (Everton only)
Rodwell (Everton only)

I looked at Liverpool once when they were signing every young player in Europe showing promise and only Raheem Sterling has gone on to make it with them, and only him and Suso to have a top career. It was 2 out of over 100.

As far as I understand, the only big cost here is that we have to manage with local Liverpool lads, I don't think that is too bad. Of course we have a much smaller pool to pick from, but as so few make it anyway, and we ideally want at least a couple of local lads to be in the first team, I think that is an opportunity

As far as I understand, the only big cost here is that we have to manage with local Liverpool lads, I don't think that is too bad. Of course we have a much smaller pool to pick from, but as so few make it anyway, and we ideally want at least a couple of local lads to be in the first team, I think that is an opportunity

We don’t actually buy in many academy players to be fair.

Scapegoat found again...FA frauds...wish these TOP 5-6 will disappear soon in this Super league for rotten frauds and we will be the true champs again...

Scapegoat found again...FA frauds...wish these TOP 5-6 will disappear soon in this Super league for rotten frauds and we will be the true champs again...

You know Liverpool and city have both received similar bans ? This scapegoat stuff and why only us when it clearly isn’t only us is a bit beneath us i reckon .

Super league will never happen, it only comes up just before negotiation starts for the shared revenue gives them a chip to bargain with and it usually works. Besides two of the top 6 have had similar bans.

Status
Not open for further replies.