Everton are small time...

Status
Not open for further replies.
As much as I don't like saying it, Everton are still relatively small time compared to the top 6. We have even splashed money about had a so called big name manager and failed miserably. That's why at this moment in time I'm more than happy for Unsworth to be in charge,IMO so called big name managers aren't any good to us in the position we are in,they want to come to a club where the team already has a bit of structure and a relatively balanced team so they can tinker around a bit and get it right. Here at Everton a full service is needed, anyway at the moment it would be a big risk for a big named managers reputation, look at Koeman's at the moment. I really see quite a few of what we have bought probably have to leave as I think our future is a mix of youth and experience, ATM the youngsters that are coming in are better than the big buys, so I'm happy with Unsworth ATM to see what he can do.

We jolly well are not small time. Our owner has lots of cash and it's only a matter of time before someone spends it wisely for him.

Then the "big four" had better watch out, that's all.

As much as I don't like saying it, Everton are still relatively small time compared to the top 6. We have even splashed money about had a so called big name manager and failed miserably. That's why at this moment in time I'm more than happy for Unsworth to be in charge,IMO so called big name managers aren't any good to us in the position we are in,they want to come to a club where the team already has a bit of structure and a relatively balanced team so they can tinker around a bit and get it right. Here at Everton a full service is needed, anyway at the moment it would be a big risk for a big named managers reputation, look at Koeman's at the moment. I really see quite a few of what we have bought probably have to leave as I think our future is a mix of youth and experience, ATM the youngsters that are coming in are better than the big buys, so I'm happy with Unsworth ATM to see what he can do.

That comes across as let's not try. Let's keep it with just Evertonians with the staff and just young players coming through. Don't go spending money or showing ambition because there's a chance it won't work and the big boys will laugh at us.

Facts are the money we spent is nowhere near enough to bridge a gap of consecutive seasons of much bigger spending across the teams above us. City alone spent over £400M this summer last under Guardiola. Chelsea have spent around £275M over the same period and Man Utd around £300M and all 3 will have dwarfed us in spending in previous seasons as well albeit under different managers.

Spurs are the most obvious exception to this but they still outspend a lot of clubs in this division but spend it very well with an eye on balancing the books. And even they have the odd blip such as Janssen. The RS have cut back on their spending in the last couple of years and it's really beginning to show.

As for big name managers then Koeman simply wasn't one. Success in Holland and a decent finish in the PL with Southampton is not the stuff of stellar reputations. A great player but his managerial reputation has yet to scale any heights.

Moshiri is here as an investor to enable the building of the stadium that Kenwright wants as his legacy to Everton in lieu of any tangible success on the field.
So you don't want a state of the art stadium on the banks of the Royal Blue Mersey!! Kenwright has done brilliantly bringing Moshiri in.

In football ownership standards Moshiri would seem quite poor compared to Man Citys owners for example.
Everybody's poor in football ownership examples compared to citys arabs, is anybody on this forum trying to tell me Kenwright made a mistake getting Moshiri to invest in Everton!!

Our
or are they?

I've been reading the Unsworth thread this morning and have to say I agree with the majority of what @orly has been eluding to, or at least I think he's been eluding to.

I'm a massive fan of David Unsworth as a person, who knows I might even be a huge fan of his managerial ability in a few games, but who knows. He's saying all the right things, using all the usual buzzwords about history, big club etc, but there's something that bothers me about it. It's bordering on a scripted theatrical performance that Bill Kenwright has written. I mean he said all that and then played a CB pairing of Jagielka and Williams and an utterly useless Rooney.

We've just lost and been knocked out of the cup but there's the tweet @orly highlighted celebrating a debut and the return of the ginger fella with a nationality disorder. I can't think of another top club that deals with this sort of stuff in the same small time cringey way as Everton. We over hype minor events, we team up with Umbro, SportPesa and Angry Birds and that's before we even get to the kitbag deal.

Why would an organisation that has an ounce of sense keep Bill Kenwright and Robert Elstone around? You could argue that it's a transitional period but it would appear that they have just as much involvement at the club now as they did before Farhad came along, if not more.

We have grand ambitions, or so we're told, but everything about how we communicate via social media and the deals we sign suggest anything but that. The twitter reads like some die hard blue that refuses to hear a bad word said about the club, rather than a professionally run club employing a social media expert.

If we truly are serious about being a big club then we need to knock this stuff on the head and start behaving like a professional outfit.

Not sure if it's small time, just accepted communications / media / marketing practice to place positive spin and hype stuff up.

On the other hand, we can only hype up turd. Yup, we're small time / big turd.

I'm comfortable with this.

The top managers don't worry about reputation, it's like a money merry-go-round with them, all managers expect to get sacked at some stage, to most it's been more beneficial with pay offs than staying the course, see RM, didn't do him any harm or Moyes after Man u.
Contracts with managers work eitherway with success or failure it seems.

The thing with Kenwright, is that's it's been non stop sentimentally since he's been involved with the club hasn't it ?.

He's like the boss at work, that wants to be everyone's friend, but doesn't command any respect as a result.

Just spotted this. Why do you think a boss wanting to be everybodys friend means that he loses respect? In my experience the opposite is true. If staff have a perception that 'the boss' has time for everyone, there is mutual respect,which is no bad thing. Its a small credit on the 'promote Unsworth' side of the new manager discussion, but not enough for me to be convinced that Unsworth is the answer.

Just spotted this. Why do you think a boss wanting to be everybodys friend means that he loses respect? In my experience the opposite is true. If staff have a perception that 'the boss' has time for everyone, there is mutual respect,which is no bad thing. Its a small credit on the 'promote Unsworth' side of the new manager discussion, but not enough for me to be convinced that Unsworth is the answer.

You're actually Kenwright aren't you lol

The trouble with Kenwright, like many ex Merseyside luvvies (Tarbuck, Black and plazzy Liverpudlian Bish....) is that they have this antiquated, parodied view of ‘scousers’ being ‘salt of the earth’ ‘no nonsense’ types, who wear their hearts on their sleeves, have a rolled up copy of the eccccho in their arse pockets and will have a drink with anybody who’s ‘dead sound like’. They have a deep mistrust of anybody from outside the city, especially those that don’t talk to them on their own level ((tories). They luv their togger but have no time for players who don’t put in a shift. Get trounced if you must, but as long as you roll up your sleeves and get stuck in, they’ll luv ya. Hence the misnomers such as ‘plucky little Everton’ and ‘Everton, that’ which the media litters about us in the press.

The point I’m making is that good ol’ Bill has filled Moshiri’s head with this nonsense (wants to be his friend too) hence Moshiri’s puzzling comments on the radio about McCarthy and wanting to reward us with a stadium. Telling us what he thinks we want to hear is merely propaganda to get away with limited investment, for maximum gain. I like Unsworth and I wish him the best, however, in footballing terms, he’s bargain basement working with a group of individuals who were either free (youngsters), existing e.g. Jagielka or cost next to nothing in current footballing terms (the lot in the summer). But as long as everybody is seen to ‘die for the club’, that’s okay, then.

Talk about hoodwinking and condescension: and that’s from our own board!

It’s this about Kenwright that irks.

Status
Not open for further replies.