Everton are small time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bungle

Player Valuation: £90m
or are they?

I've been reading the Unsworth thread this morning and have to say I agree with the majority of what @orly has been eluding to, or at least I think he's been eluding to.

I'm a massive fan of David Unsworth as a person, who knows I might even be a huge fan of his managerial ability in a few games, but who knows. He's saying all the right things, using all the usual buzzwords about history, big club etc, but there's something that bothers me about it. It's bordering on a scripted theatrical performance that Bill Kenwright has written. I mean he said all that and then played a CB pairing of Jagielka and Williams and an utterly useless Rooney.

We've just lost and been knocked out of the cup but there's the tweet @orly highlighted celebrating a debut and the return of the ginger fella with a nationality disorder. I can't think of another top club that deals with this sort of stuff in the same small time cringey way as Everton. We over hype minor events, we team up with Umbro, SportPesa and Angry Birds and that's before we even get to the kitbag deal.

Why would an organisation that has an ounce of sense keep Bill Kenwright and Robert Elstone around? You could argue that it's a transitional period but it would appear that they have just as much involvement at the club now as they did before Farhad came along, if not more.

We have grand ambitions, or so we're told, but everything about how we communicate via social media and the deals we sign suggest anything but that. The twitter reads like some die hard blue that refuses to hear a bad word said about the club, rather than a professionally run club employing a social media expert.

If we truly are serious about being a big club then we need to knock this stuff on the head and start behaving like a professional outfit.

or are they?

I've been reading the Unsworth thread this morning and have to say I agree with the majority of what @orly has been eluding to, or at least I think he's been eluding to.

I'm a massive fan of David Unsworth as a person, who knows I might even be a huge fan of his managerial ability in a few games, but who knows. He's saying all the right things, using all the usual buzzwords about history, big club etc, but there's something that bothers me about it. It's bordering on a scripted theatrical performance that Bill Kenwright has written. I mean he said all that and then played a CB pairing of Jagielka and Williams and an utterly useless Rooney.

We've just lost and been knocked out of the cup but there's the tweet @orly highlighted celebrating a debut and the return of the ginger fella with a nationality disorder. I can't think of another top club that deals with this sort of stuff in the same small time cringey way as Everton. We over hype minor events, we team up with Umbro, SportPesa and Angry Birds and that's before we even get to the kitbag deal.

Why would an organisation that has an ounce of sense keep Bill Kenwright and Robert Elstone around? You could argue that it's a transitional period but it would appear that they have just as much involvement at the club now as they did before Farhad came along, if not more.

We have grand ambitions, or so we're told, but everything about how we communicate via social media and the deals we sign suggest anything but that. The twitter reads like some die hard blue that refuses to hear a bad word said about the club, rather than a professionally run club employing a social media expert.

If we truly are serious about being a big club then we need to knock this stuff on the head and start behaving like a professional outfit.

Couldn't agree more.

Sentimentalism when we need professionalism. It's the hallmark of the Kenwright era.

or are they?

IMG_5456.PNG

The thing is about Rhino is that we know everything he said is true - his love for the club and the fans is genuine, no matter how scripted it may sound. If Kenwright wasn't about, he would be saying the same things.

I am not sentimental though - we need a good manager in - but I think the club should at least insist he is Assistant Manager. With his dedication to the club over the years, and his nurturing the U23's the way he has, he's earned that much surely?

In the cut-throat business that is footy these days, his love for our beloved blues is real, and surely we should celebrate and appreciate that?

The thing is about Rhino is that we know everything he said is true - his love for the club and the fans is genuine, no matter how scripted it may sound. If Kenwright wasn't about, he would be saying the same things.

I am not sentimental though - we need a good manager in - but I think the club should at least insist he is Assistant Manager. With his dedication to the club over the years, and his nurturing the U23's the way he has, he's earned that much surely?

In the cut-throat business that is footy these days, his love for our beloved blues is real, and surely we should celebrate and appreciate that?

Depends mate, I could find you 30,000 people on a weekend who have a real love for Everton and I wouldn't want them any of them as the manager. There's probably a handful of them with the appropriate coaching badges too - which narrows us down to Royle, Unsworth and Eddie Howe. Grim.

The problem is that someone who has a fairly major say in what goes on at the club is, and that should play no part in the decisions that are being made. We've got players that aren't fit to play for us on massive wages (Rooney), because someone is sentimental, we've previously dished out contract extensions to players that don't deserve them, because someone is sentimental. It's just not the way the club should be run if we want to compete at the right end of the table.

The problem is that someone who has a fairly major say in what goes on at the club is, and that should play no part in the decisions that are being made. We've got players that aren't fit to play for us on massive wages (Rooney), because someone is sentimental, we've previously dished out contract extensions to players that don't deserve them, because someone is sentimental. It's just not the way the club should be run if we want to compete at the right end of the table.

I often wonder if he employed the same sentimentality in his theatre business? i doubt it as he was successful..he doesnt see everton as a business or even a project to make successful, its his warm,cosy place to have some fun and indulgence..

man city and chelsea the big success stories of recent times did not even consider appointing 'one of their own'

Or United... or Arsenal....

Happens at Barca and Real because 1. they have a 'way' of playing football that is repeated at all levels 2. the players elevated to coaching status (especially Guardiola) are innovative, high class coaches with huge, top class backroom teams (ours would be Ebrell and Ferguson with 'Unsy' and a coach from Preston) 3. any coach would inherit a team full of some all-time great players. Ours would inherit Williams, DCL, McCarthy... etc... etc

Or United... or Arsenal....

Happens at Barca and Real because 1. they have a 'way' of playing football that is repeated at all levels 2. the players elevated to coaching status (especially Guardiola) are innovative, high class coaches with huge, top class backroom teams (ours would be Ebrell and Ferguson with 'Unsy' and a coach from Preston) 3. any coach would inherit a team full of some all-time great players. Ours would inherit Williams, DCL, McCarthy... etc... etc

Liverpool have done it plenty and mostly been a disaster(evans,souness)

Status
Not open for further replies.