Europa League do we want it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chelsea played many games to get to the final last season and still finished Third in the P/L
IMO, the Europa League is now more important than ever cos it will help to try and get back some of the extra £millions that all clubs need?
There is of course also the fact that, any team that wins it, that will get you into the big money Champions League quicker and then with the extra money, better players will start thinking about joining.
Gotta be in it to win it.
The money crap for it and there will be no fans in the stadiums. Probably 15 mil but will affect our league placing.
There no chance our current squad could cope playing 60 games in 32 weeks

Europa League qualification I just see as a consequence of finishing high in the table. The competition itself I don't give a toss about as you have a minor chance of winning it and the effort put in doesn't match the reward.

That said, there's nothing stopping the club fielding reserves if we qualified for it. Which is what we should actually do, as the league is the bread and butter and we have no squad depth.

That said, we won't qualify - too much ground to make up and too inconsistent; would take a mad run of results.

Last season the P/L had two teams in the Europa Final, (four in both the Euro finals,) with one in the Euruopa Leaugue being good, the other very average.
I think that any team who takes the tournament seriously has around as good a chance of winning it as the F.A Cup?

Last season the P/L had two teams in the Europa Final,(four in both finals, one in the Europa good, the other very average.
I think that any team who takes the tournament seriously has around as good a chance of winning it as the F.A Cup?

Perhaps.

But then only one club outside the top four "big" clubs has won the FA Cup in the last decade.

If there was a substantial monetary reward for getting as far as the semi-finals or whatever it'd be worth the effort, but there isn't - I'm not sure if anything has changed lately but I think one or two league positions was worth more than all the prize money from making the Europa League final and losing.

My view is you break the top four/six in the league first by ignoring the cups, which then gives you the capacity to compete on more fronts. I'd personally rather see Everton pick one cup to take seriously and be straight with the fans and say we're playing youth teams in any others.

So if we qualify for Europa, maybe Europe takes priority and we effectively bin the FA Cup and League Cup.

Europa league qualification and ultimately competition victory brings about a champions league berth for the following season. Irrespective of how unrealistic a win is in the competition, at least the potential for that means its worth a shot, but again that's a long road of Thursday nights, often long treks to far flung eastern European outposts and thereby often unwanted or ill-prepared Sunday league fixtures which generally hinders domestic form.

There's very little glamour attached to it in prestige, monetarily its nonexistent, and even Spanish and German clubs in it aren't often that great really but its still a barometer of progress for most clubs.

Its better than the EFL cup and a crack at it isn't necessarily that bad a thing.

Perhaps.

But then only one club outside the top four "big" clubs has won the FA Cup in the last decade.

If there was a substantial monetary reward for getting as far as the semi-finals or whatever it'd be worth the effort, but there isn't - I'm not sure if anything has changed lately but I think one or two league positions was worth more than all the prize money from making the Europa League final and losing.

My view is you break the top four/six in the league first by ignoring the cups, which then gives you the capacity to compete on more fronts. I'd personally rather see Everton pick one cup to take seriously and be straight with the fans and say we're playing youth teams in any others.

So if we qualify for Europa, maybe Europe takes priority and we effectively bin the FA Cup and League Cup.

Supposedly there were talks last week proposing that all the teams playing in Europe will not be playing in next seasons League Cup* so that is a few games already gone from the fixture list?

I want us in it, and I want us to bloody win the thing! Those kopites are being so bloody smug, 75% of their ‘celebrations’ are digs at Everton, and then I’m called bitter because I refuse to offer my congratulations!

We need a hard working, strong, and ambitious midfield to come in and help us win stuff. Bring in Rabiot and Allen etc, players that will win those midfield battles! I don’t care if they have bad attitudes as long as they are winning, sore loser attitudes, as we’ve had too many happy losers at Everton for far too long!

I guarantee that these kopites that are pretending to want my congratulations would say it’s ‘only’ the Europa League if we won it! I’d just turn around and say “Are you not gona offer your congratulations?”.

Just do it for once blues!

Would help - the bigger issue is the Champions League failures dropping in half way through the competition, taking all integrity away from it.

That I agree with but think try to think about it with a positive view, just like the lesser teams do here for the 3rd round of the F.A. Cup.
The big boys join in and then the excitement starts.

Most definately we (should) want it.

Ironically I don't think it makes much of a difference to our attractiveness but we absolutely need European football to test the players and get them used to coping on several fronts. Look at Wolves.

I also think a few seasons of consecutive EL qualification was a big help to Spurs by the time they reached the Champions League.

I don't get folk who don't want it, it's a vital stepping stone to getting us where we want to be.
Completely agree. Regular euro footy attracts better players, better players that push us up the league into Champs League. Also need the euro coefficient points when/if we get into the CL spots to be seeded higher. I’m also fed up of them lot banging on about being kings of Europe, we need a trophy. Winning breeds winning

If there are going to be a couple of quality additions in the summer, it'd be worth having a crack at the Europa.

I wouldn't fancy the current crop's chances, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.