Engerlaar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpys top lip

Player Valuation: £60m
04 have beaten Everton in the race to sign £6million Holland midfielder Orlando Engelaar, according to reports.

Reports this week had claimed Goodison boss David Moyes had met with the FC Twente anchor man's representatives in an attempt to hijack his move to the Bundesliga.

But it is now claimed the midfield giant will be reunited with his former boss Fred Rutten, who has already brought in Peru international Jefferson Farfan from PSV Eindhoven for next season.

Moyes was confident of attracting the 28-year-old, who guided his side to Champions League qualification this season, to Goodison but may now pursue Tom Huddlestone of Tottenham to fill the gap created by Lee Carsley's departure to Birmingham.

Every other report says Shalka 04 dont have any were near the money to sign him.

Sounds like bollox again to me.

Yeah me too Sharpy, but I think it started off as a guess or way to link him with us and continued by lazy journalism.

Schalke arent skint, they have a deal with Gazprom (25m Euros a year just for shirt sponsorship)

I refuse to believe that they literally cant afford him. I assume they dont agree he's worth £6m if anything.

I dont know a thing about this guy?! Anyone shed some light???

Dutch Def Midfielder 28, 29 by the start of the season, been playing for the Dutch first team in the Euro's so far, should be playing tonight. hes contracted to Fc Twente. Weve been linked storngly but almost joined Shalke befor the euros but has been helded up as the clubs are haggleing over the price.

And then there were quoates: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_3718491,00.html

Everton and Newcastle are both interested in Dutch star Orlando Engelaar, Skysports.com can confirm.

But German side Schalke are close to sealing a deal for the Twente midfielder and the Premier League clubs will need to act fast if they want to sign him.

Speaking exclusively to Skysports.com, Engelaar's agent Eduard Burleson confirmed the interest from England - but admitted talks with Schalke are at an advanced stage.

"We have spoken with Schalke and terms have been agreed," Burleson told skysports.com.

"But the two clubs have not agreed yet, and so that is where we stand on that.."

Burleson admitted that English interest was now getting stronger and that 28-year-old Engelaar could very well be keen on a move to the Premier League.

"I know Everton are interested and that Newcastle could soon make a move," he continued.

"He chose to speak to Schalke, firstly because there was not any interest from England at the time and also because of the coach Fred Rutten [former Twener coach now at Schalke] - who was so good for him at Twente.

"But if does not work, it is now clear could be English options."

Burleson admits Engelaar's performances in Euro 2008 - where he has started every game for the Dutch - have made a number of club sit up and take notice.

"Orlando has taken his form from Twente straight into the national side and continued at the same level," he said.

"I think for this reason a number of clubs have suddenly realised what many of us already knew, that he is a very good player

Last edited:
Hi, this is my first post on this forum. Been reading and following it for a while now and think it's an interesting place to be. I normally use the Bluekipper forum, but I think this forum is much more friendly. At Kipper I sometimes wonder, what makes Evertonians behave in such a bad way against other Evertonians. The name calling and abusing around there is awful, so I'd like to give it a try here also.

Don't think Engelaar is the answer to Everton midfield problems. Not only is he almost 29 years old, but FC Twente is also the only club he's really been a success uptill now. When he played at KRC Genk in Belgium, they couldn't wait to see the back of him. If it's not going his way he just seems to lose all interest and demoralises the team spirit. His body language during the time at Genk was awfull. He just didn't seem to care about the club, its supporters or his teammates. I really do believe he'll prove to be a one season wonder and won't be a Dutch international for much longer. Also don't think he would be able to adapt to the pace of the Premiership. My advice would be to steer clear of him and just go for someone like Moutinho/Huddlestone or Fellaini (Standard Liége). But then again who am I, when Moyes decides he really wants him.

Thanks for the information. I'd not heard of the guy up until a few days ago which sort of speaks volumes about his past, or lack of it. I'm sure Moyes has considered the points that you have made. It's good that the fans also get to see a negative viewpoint as well.

Hi, this is my first post on this forum. Been reading and following it for a while now and think it's an interesting place to be. I normally use the Bluekipper forum, but I think this forum is much more friendly. At Kipper I sometimes wonder, what makes Evertonians behave in such a bad way against other Evertonians. The name calling and abusing around there is awful, so I'd like to give it a try here also.

Don't think Engelaar is the answer to Everton midfield problems. Not only is he almost 29 years old, but FC Twente is also the only club he's really been a success uptill now. When he played at KRC Genk in Belgium, they couldn't wait to see the back of him. If it's not going his way he just seems to lose all interest and demoralises the team spirit. His body language during the time at Genk was awfull. He just didn't seem to care about the club, its supporters or his teammates. I really do believe he'll prove to be a one season wonder and won't be a Dutch international for much longer. Also don't think he would be able to adapt to the pace of the Premiership. My advice would be to steer clear of him and just go for someone like Moutinho/Huddlestone or Fellaini (Standard Liége). But then again who am I, when Moyes decides he really wants him.

Welcome Dutch Toffee and thanks for the input.

I believe another poster (Ajax Andy?) said something similar.

Sounds like he's getting his 15 minutes at the Euro's then?

Status
Not open for further replies.