Elstone's response to the pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to leave a comment on the blog, but apparently my 191 word response has to be less than 200 words.

That'll placate the lynch mobs.

I picked two pertinent points out of it, though doubtless others will focus on some of his other comments.

Interesting to see that developing players comes before buying/selling in this sentence. A deliberate word placement? I'd probably say so. If Moyes feels that the young talent he has acquired, along with the youth who have come through the ranks are capable then I trust in his judgement. I'm sure he would like money to spend, but he's realistic enough to understand the club's current position and as he's still there, is happy to carry on down this avenue.

I agree entirely.Take GOT for example, there are a few longer term posters who have continually and intellectually debated the pros and cons of the board, the CEO and their respective performance. Unfortunately of late we have been over run by a horde of simpletons who demand this that and the other when there is no realistic right to do so. EFC is a business. Their responsibility is to their shareholders, not the customers/stakeholders (however we see ourselves as fans). I know some of you disagree with me, and that football clubs are 'different', but I've been saying this for nearly a year now and I'm still right.

Acting up like a bunch of blerts bitching and moaning on an internet forum is no way to get a professional entity to take notice of your concerns; irrespective of whether they have any responsibility to actually share their day-to-day actions with you.

Now. Mods, stick this with the other stuff in the big thread please x

No you're not. You're dead wrong. You talk like an accountant. It's like reading a Price Waterhouse Cooper spreadsheet. Have some passion, be a fan.

Sory Ganistuk; I just cannot agree...the only reason we punch above our weight is beacuse of Moyes. Yes he is ultra defensive sometimes, his substitutions frustrate me, but he gets it right more times than not, and he has an eye for potential second to none...

We agree on something, I agree Moyes is a central to what we achieve... BK got one decision right a few years ago then!

A lot of what Elstone says makes sense. But there are few things I disagree with:

1) Our strategy to achieve this goal is on three levels - firstly, an ongoing and prioritised search for new investment and a new stadium and we are active on both of these challenging fronts

If this is their first priority, then they are doing a horrible job at it. They may be putting in effort to get new investment or a new stadium but they have to admit that they have absolutely nothing to show for it since 2007. Isn't that when Robert Earl came in? Actually, that isn't even real investment as I guess it was just a swapping of shares from one person to another. Regardless, if I spent 4 years working on something as my main priority (or more than 4 in the case of the stadium), I guarantee there would be improvements or at least a strong, definite plan in place. I don't see anything of the sort here.

2) Communication

They communicate through carefully set up events and answer only the most surface of questions. I completely understand that they can't share everything with the supporters but don't tell us that what they're doing is good communication. It's the bare minimum of what is required for a football club. It's always better to be truthful and honest, even if the truth isn't pretty. What we're left with in Everton's case is that without the true information, supporters start to make up false information based on extremely circumstantial evidence.

3) Went from £500,000 in commercial losses to £30m in profits over 10 years

That's certainly an improvement but anyone could have made an improvement over £500,000 in losses. That doesn't make any sense at all. What I want to know is if the Kitbag deal is better or worse than our competitors. I don't know if it is or not and he doesn't say.

Still, like I said, a lot of what Elstone says is true. We can't spend more than we make. That's simple business. Some people seem to forget that and just want the board members to throw money at the club every year with no hope for a return on investment. I have no problem with the board on that point. What I want is for them to build a definite plan of action to increase Everton's turnover long-term. If they can't do that, then what are they there for? Maybe they already have a plan of action but if they don't communicate it to the supporters, how are we supposed to know about it?

Last edited:
Update: cut it down to 188 words and it was less than 200 words...

"Your comment has been submitted successfully and held for approval by Everton."

In case it's not approved, here's what I wrote:

It's well publicised that BK doesn't have any money, but what about the other board members? Are they bereft of funds aswell? If you stand still in PL football, you’re going backwards. Can’t (or won’t) they provide anything to buy even one proven PL quality player? Noone’s suggesting they should be throwing good money after bad, but as you’ve alluded to, we have a decent squad, the general feeling is that we're close to the next level, we need 2 or 3 additions to take us there. In business, you have to speculate. A viable revenue stream for the club would be regular Champions League, but the fans don't see any evidence, other than the manager’s attitude that we're actively pushing for that. Moyes is amazing, but we fear that the writing is on the wall if we can't actively back him in the transfer market every year. We want him to be OUR Alex Ferguson, but we are becoming frustrated, and worried. The vitriol of a few should not distract you from the general feelings Evertonians. We love our club, we want the best for it, always.

A lot of what Elstone says makes sense. But there are few things I disagree with:

1) Our strategy to achieve this goal is on three levels - firstly, an ongoing and prioritised search for new investment and a new stadium and we are active on both of these challenging fronts

I mean, you wouldn't have the brass neck cheek to write that tosh would you?

11 years in charge of the club (most of those years Elstone has been there for in one capacity or another) and they've laid not one brick or even broken ground on a new stadium, and not a single penny has been found for investment.

...and then he starts complaining about fans kicking up a shitstorm over the disaster story.

Well he's exceeded my expectations of him cus he's more of a feckin idiot than I gave him credit for, I mean coming out with a statement like 'WE THINK NOT' !!! The cheeky c***, does he want his head kicked in or what. Its hardly a very professional comment to make for a man in his position !

If thats his idea of communicating with supporters then he should keep his f***king mouth shut :mad:

I'm not one for picking fights or arguing with fellow blues, but anyone that even attempts to give this man a sniff of support should be ashamed of themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why is our sponsorship deal a bit pants for the length of time...see the RS and there's.

Why is our brand still not easily accessible in the usa and Australia after countless successful tours and exposure ie Tim cahill and Landon donovan?

Why don't we have usa sponsorship deals to sell merchandise in the usa?

how is the global marketing strategy getting on?

any chance of being in a small pre season tournament ala the emirates cup to make money?

Last edited:
Anyone else find that blog utter arrogance. Its basically a way of telling us fans to keep stum. He's doing a good job keeping the finances above board but thats it and we should be impresses by his business silverware.....

Wake up Robert we want real silverware....

Listen I'm happy with the way the clubs being ran. We seem to be slowly chugging along. The problem is we will never be a success that way. Other clubs have far too much money...

We need a united style youth players to come through. like beckham, neville, butt, scholes & giggs. Hopefully that will come. If we have the right guys out there looking for them!

I think it's interesting that this line:

Hand on heart, I bump into more people saying keep up the good work than ‘there's the door'.

comes a few paragraphs after this:

Should I or the Chairman meet fans whose top priority is to see him out of office and me out of a job? Likewise, should we answer those questions that appear on all the lists of those lobbying the press so strongly - how much is the Club up for sale for? Have we made an offer for player x? How much did we turn down for player y? We think not.

He actively avoids meeting with fans that don't like him and then tries to use the fact that he doesn't meet these fans as evidence to convince us there are more in favor than in opposition.

I know he's trying to keep up the "communication" with these blogs, but when everything is so obviously sugarcoated and spun in his favor, he loses a bit of respect.

What he said!!!!

That'll placate the lynch mobs.

I picked two pertinent points out of it, though doubtless others will focus on some of his other comments.

Interesting to see that developing players comes before buying/selling in this sentence. A deliberate word placement? I'd probably say so. If Moyes feels that the young talent he has acquired, along with the youth who have come through the ranks are capable then I trust in his judgement. I'm sure he would like money to spend, but he's realistic enough to understand the club's current position and as he's still there, is happy to carry on down this avenue.

I agree entirely.Take GOT for example, there are a few longer term posters who have continually and intellectually debated the pros and cons of the board, the CEO and their respective performance. Unfortunately of late we have been over run by a horde of simpletons who demand this that and the other when there is no realistic right to do so. EFC is a business. Their responsibility is to their shareholders, not the customers/stakeholders (however we see ourselves as fans). I know some of you disagree with me, and that football clubs are 'different', but I've been saying this for nearly a year now and I'm still right.

Acting up like a bunch of blerts bitching and moaning on an internet forum is no way to get a professional entity to take notice of your concerns; irrespective of whether they have any responsibility to actually share their day-to-day actions with you.

Now. Mods, stick this with the other stuff in the big thread please x

I could not agree more, you've just said everything ive wanted to say for ages. **** THE DOWNERS!! We all wish it was different but its not, and there is no overnight solution. Bill kenwright brought this club up from ****e, fighting relegation every season. Yes... i do think its time for him to go but i think he deserves to do it his way. I believe he is still a big fan, and wants success as much as the rest of us.

And then we have the knobs calling for moyes's head. Who else would do a better job for his wages? and, can anyone remember charlton getting to big for there boots? "They've outgrown Alan Curbishly" Where are they now?

Status
Not open for further replies.