Elstone's response to the pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Chairman who is at the heart of everything I described above and yet takes no remuneration in any shape or form from the Club.

Thats as far as I got.

Fo SunTanParasite.

As for what's left? Should I or the Chairman meet fans whose top priority is to see him out of office and me out of a job? Likewise, should we answer those questions that appear on all the lists of those lobbying the press so strongly - how much is the Club up for sale for? Have we made an offer for player x? How much did we turn down for player y? We think not.

WE THINK NOT;...Really, we think not...geez, what a crock...

It's the reaction of a rightly angry and frustrated man who feels his position and integrity are being wrongly judged, mostly by people who don't have a clue.

I like Robert Elstone - very few CEO's from any sector are as upfront as he is when it comes to communicating directly with their stakeholders. His job is to run the club as a business as effectively as he can with the resources he has available and to look for ways that those resources can be increased. I am not sure what more evidence he can give that he is committed to that purpose and doing as good a job as anyone else could do in the current economic climate. The only clubs that are spending big are the ones bankrolled by a rich owner/parent company - we simply don't have one. Therefore we have to operate with a completely different business model.

Would we really want a CEO and Board who put the long-term existence of the club at risk just by spending a few million pounds we don't have on any given player to satisfy the 'fantasy football manager' world that most of the complainants seem to live in? He says in that blog that his focus is on equipping this club to win football matches and I for one don't see any reason to doubt him.

Like all blues, I would love us to be competing for the signatures of world class players, watching a world class team in a world class stadium - but so would the fans of every club. It is time to get real and be grateful that we somehow continue to punch above our weight against all the odds!

I hate to blow our trumpet but others do it for us. People like us; people rate us; people appreciate what we're doing. Hand on heart, I bump into more people saying keep up the good work than ‘there's the door'.

REALLY, really Robert; I would suggest that you are bumping into the wrong people, you arrogant fcukwit [sorry guys]...

As for what's left? Should I or the Chairman meet fans whose top priority is to see him out of office and me out of a job? Likewise, should we answer those questions that appear on all the lists of those lobbying the press so strongly - how much is the Club up for sale for? Have we made an offer for player x? How much did we turn down for player y? We think not.

WE THINK NOT;...Really, we think not...geez, what a crock...

This is the crux of what I was on about on the other thread - some supporters expect answers but the board are never going to answer these questions so they are always going to be disappointed.
The end result is the 'pressure' groups will never be satisfied and continue to moan.

That'll placate the lynch mobs.

I picked two pertinent points out of it, though doubtless others will focus on some of his other comments.

1) to out-perform our rivals developing, and buying and selling players

Interesting to see that developing players comes before buying/selling in this sentence. A deliberate word placement? I'd probably say so. If Moyes feels that the young talent he has acquired, along with the youth who have come through the ranks are capable then I trust in his judgement. I'm sure he would like money to spend, but he's realistic enough to understand the club's current position and as he's still there, is happy to carry on down this avenue.

2) Likewise, should we answer those questions that appear on all the lists of those lobbying the press so strongly - how much is the Club up for sale for? Have we made an offer for player x? How much did we turn down for player y? We think not.

I agree entirely.Take GOT for example, there are a few longer term posters who have continually and intellectually debated the pros and cons of the board, the CEO and their respective performance. Unfortunately of late we have been over run by a horde of simpletons who demand this that and the other when there is no realistic right to do so. EFC is a business. Their responsibility is to their shareholders, not the customers/stakeholders (however we see ourselves as fans). I know some of you disagree with me, and that football clubs are 'different', but I've been saying this for nearly a year now and I'm still right.

Acting up like a bunch of blerts bitching and moaning on an internet forum is no way to get a professional entity to take notice of your concerns; irrespective of whether they have any responsibility to actually share their day-to-day actions with you.

Now. Mods, stick this with the other stuff in the big thread please x

Ha Ha Ha!

Bankrupt.

He can throw his toys out of the pram all he wants, the truth hurts.

PMSL at the retail 'triumphs' the club has had under MountainBikeBob: 10 year's worth of sponsorship added together to make it sound like decent business - it isn't: they're just bog-standard retail contracts.

So, just to summarise, Bob and the backroom team will keep working hard doing their jobs. Not something that fills you with hope really is it?

Last edited:
It's the reaction of a rightly angry and frustrated man who feels his position and integrity are being wrongly judged, mostly by people who don't have a clue.

I like Robert Elstone - very few CEO's from any sector are as upfront as he is when it comes to communicating directly with their stakeholders. His job is to run the club as a business as effectively as he can with the resources he has available and to look for ways that those resources can be increased. I am not sure what more evidence he can give that he is committed to that purpose and doing as good a job as anyone else could do in the current economic climate. The only clubs that are spending big are the ones bankrolled by a rich owner/parent company - we simply don't have one. Therefore we have to operate with a completely different business model.

Would we really want a CEO and Board who put the long-term existence of the club at risk just by spending a few million pounds we don't have on any given player to satisfy the 'fantasy football manager' world that most of the complainants seem to live in? He says in that blog that his focus is on equipping this club to win football matches and I for one don't see any reason to doubt him.

Like all blues, I would love us to be competing for the signatures of world class players, watching a world class team in a world class stadium - but so would the fans of every club. It is time to get real and be grateful that we somehow continue to punch above our weight against all the odds!

Have you been asleep for the last two seasons mate?

Sory Ganistuk; I just cannot agree...the only reason we punch above our weight is beacuse of Moyes. Yes he is ultra defensive sometimes, his substitutions frustrate me, but he gets it right more times than not, and he has an eye for potential second to none...

Status
Not open for further replies.