Ellis Simms

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Mirror doesn't tend to be factually inaccurate regards Everton, they just tend to be wholly negative about everything that surrounds us, so this might be true

Don't know much about him truth told, but I'll keep an eye out for him in pre-season

Always nice to see a younger lad getting an opportunity

Last edited:
Rooney of course was playing for and scoring for England at this age, so yes he’s no Rooney. Arguably , based upon U23s playing time last season and selection for England u18s he’s not even our best 18 year old attacker, that’s Anthony Gordon. But then Gordon hasn’t got his own thread on GOT so I may be wrong.

What is without dispute is that , after an ordinary 1st year at u18s , his progress last season was startling . Youngsters don’t score as many goals as that at u18 because they are promoted rapidly when they show talent e.g. Marcus Rashford, so we’ve still to see if his blistering pace and ability to score with each foot can be maintained at U23s level against bigger, stronger opponents.

Rooney was a natural who’d made it by 18, Simms is very much a work in progress who requires a lot of work on certain areas of his game like hold up play, playing with your back to goal . In a way our coaches can add much more to his game than they could to Rooney’s so it’s both exciting and intriguing what the next few seasons hold for Simms.

I'd like to think that his skills will translate once he acclimatises to bigger stronger opposition. Having watched most of the highlight videos (and a couple times live only), it doesn't seem that he relies on his relative physical advantages for the majority of his goals. His finishing seems to be good, he seems to be able to create a bit of space to get a shot off, and I've seen him smash a couple in the top corner on the turn this season. Overall I think he should be able to do the same at a higher level.

Read an interview on the Echo before with the guy that “found him” and he said he’s the fastest thing he’s ever seen on a pitch.

Is it just me that didn’t really notice blistering pace?

Status
Not open for further replies.