Ellis Simms stepping up in place of Kean?

Would You Have Simms Step Up This Season?

• Yes. He plays well at youth level and I think he's ready

Votes: 41 11.5%
  • No. Too soon for him. Sign a replacement instead

Votes: 103 28.9%
  • Maybe. Give him some minutes off the bench but still sign someone as well

Votes: 176 49.4%
  • Cheesy Garlic Bread

Votes: 36 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Theres a reason hes still playing Underage footy at the age of 19 and has never been near the first team.

...I think that’s a very fair point, although I understand he trains with the first team and did make the bench towards the end of last season.

Simms’ being promoted says a lot about Kean if they’ve allowed him to leave in our current situation.

Bottom line, for me, is that Carlo has already introduced Gordon and Nkounkou - Neither of whom we were necessarily clamouring to see - to good effect into the first team.

IF it is his decision to do the same with Simms as opposed to chucking money at a question mark of a striker then he's bought enough goodwill for himself to do so.
I don’t think anybody was clamouring to see Knounkou because he was a new signing and nobody knew much about him, now they have seen him quite a few would like him on the bench, at least, for senior games, I know I would.

...I think that’s a very fair point, although I understand he trains with the first team and did make the bench towards the end of last season.

Simms’ being promoted says a lot about Kean if they’ve allowed him to leave in our current situation.

Kean has played for Juve, Everton, PSG and the Italian national team.

Simms has played for City U18s and Everton U23s.

Theres so many levels between them its scary

Who was Kean meant to play instead of?

Rico and DCL were monsters last season, its not like he was kept out of the side by Tammy Ambraham or somebody.

...we need quality back-up even when strikers are in form. A striker who can impact a game when we’re chasing a goal is a definite requirement and that’s not even considering injuries.

Alan Whittle came in for Jimmy Husband in 1970 and scored 11 goals to get us over the line and win the league. Andy Gray had to bide his time when Heath and Sharp were on fire in 1985, and Wayne Clarke filled in brilliantly in ‘87.

Kean was rarely used because he was ineffective. He’d still be here if he could consistently & positively impact games.

...we need quality back-up even when strikers are in form. A striker who can impact a game when we’re chasing a goal is a definite requirement and that’s not even considering injuries.

Alan Whittle came in for Jimmy Husband in 1970 and scored 11 goals to get us over the line and win the league. Andy Gray had to bide his time when Heath and Sharp were on fire in 1985, and Wayne Clarke filled in brilliantly in ‘87.

Kean was rarely used because he was ineffective. He’d still be here if he could consistently & positively impact games.

IMO we need a back up.

But Simms isn't it.

I think Richarlison moving central will be the cover and either Bernard or Gordon coming in on the left. Gordon also played number 9 a few times in the u23s so another option worth considering. Might first choice option would be a player who can play centrally or comfortable on the right.

In my experience, I am very wary of going toe to toe with Mr. Eggs. He really knows his excrement and puts a historical touch to it with a clarity that few else on this forum, me included, rarely achieve.

And that is why Moise Kean did not cut it at Goodison, in case you previously did not know.

Tocsun is backup until January when he moves on.
It seems Kean didn’t want to stay and looked really disinterested when he did play this season. He’s not coming back.
I doubt Simms is ready to be the main backup. He needs the odd cameo here and there, but we can’t rely on him.
All of which points to a signing in January.

Status
Not open for further replies.