Ellis Simms stepping up in place of Kean?

Would You Have Simms Step Up This Season?

• Yes. He plays well at youth level and I think he's ready

Votes: 41 11.5%
  • No. Too soon for him. Sign a replacement instead

Votes: 103 28.9%
  • Maybe. Give him some minutes off the bench but still sign someone as well

Votes: 176 49.4%
  • Cheesy Garlic Bread

Votes: 36 10.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive watched live streams of all our U23s games this season, he’s scored four goals in four games, I’m a big fan of him , but he’s still a work in progress and not ready yet for the first team Id say.
He's worked hard with his coaches to improve all aspects of his play , his hold up play , lay off and distribution have improved enormously and he works hard to harry defenders and goalkeepers into mistakes . In this sense he is being played as DCL plays for the first team , work hard, press defenders , stay up front on your own , lay the ball back to bring midfielders into the game.
His main assets remain his strength, pace and ability to finish if he’s put through on goal with the ball. In comparison with DCL at the same age his finishing ability is better in my view, but the workrate and particularly heading ability are not there yet . In the first team you’d be getting close to what DCL was three years ago , some better bits , some worse bits.

The claim from someone earlier that Carlo doesn’t know who he is clearly ridiculous as Carlo ,Brands, Duncan have been seen at U23s games and Simms trains with the first team . The plan this season has so far been to let Simms train with the first team, play with the U23s and likely go onloan in January. That seems like a good plan to me. But who knows what Carlo is thinking by letting Kean go on loan, likely Simms has moved up the pecking order and he may well see him as a stop gap if DCL and Richarlison are injured , giving time to bring someone in in the January window with Simms going on loan then.

Richarlison is the back up no. 9, kean wasn't getting game time, that wouldnt have changed if DCL got injured and he knew it. Iwobi or gordon in to cover Richy moving to 9 if DCl gets injured.
There are no games left this season that players will get "their chance", its best 11 all the way.
Simms wont be getting game time either even if we don't sign someone, cheesy garlic bread all day

You don't think there'll be injuries in a more congested than usual season or nobody in the best 11 will dip at some point? If we're still in both cups come Christmas then there's bound to be rotation. That's when players get their chance.

Lots of players will get a chance this season - Delph, Davies, Nkounko, Gordon, Sigurdsson and Kenny have all got games under their belt and it's hard to argue they're best 11.

We've got Branthwaite, Gordon, the lad at left back, plus the likes of Kenny and Holgate will get game time this season, and DCL himself his hardly a veteran. We've already got a pretty young team.
Apart from DCL, none of those others will be playing up front. Yes they're young but they're not young strikers that can fill DCL's boots if he gets an injury.

I like it. Carlo is Clearly showing faith in the players we have Upfront and the youngsters coming through. Why bring in an ageing striker who blocks opportunities for our young strikers. Richy is back up striker and he’d maybe play Gylfi up top in an emergency. Then Simms can do his bit of the bench.

It's the old job interview question of wanting the 18 YO to have years of experience for the job he's applying for.
There's a bit more to it than though. Literally about 6 weeks ago we could have 9 players on the bench and were choosing to put two keepers on it rather than use Simms. It's a fair question then as to whether there's any evidence he's now taken huge strides forward to the point that he might even start.

I'd give him a few min. What could it hurt? Let him know the pace of the game and where he needs to be.

Could also be another nkounkou story

I
There's a bit more to it than though. Literally about 6 weeks ago we could have 9 players on the bench and were choosing to put two keepers on it rather than use Simms. It's a fair question then as to whether there's any evidence he's now taken huge strides forward to the point that he might even start.
I agree. But we also had kean and Walcott. We might be left with no choice soon.

Do you keep hold of Walcott and use him sparingly, wasting the only chance to get money back on him, or do you try the untried?

...I’ve posted regularly in the past few days saying it wouldn’t take much for Simms to be as effective as Kean. If we don’t bring another striker in it really says a lot about how Kean is rated, especially given the start we’ve made.

Who was Kean meant to play instead of?

Rico and DCL were monsters last season, its not like he was kept out of the side by Tammy Ambraham or somebody.

Status
Not open for further replies.