Donovan back in Jan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ill defo take him however he's pretty much been playing non-stop for the past 2-3 years. I think its taken a toll on his body (though before he rededicated himself he pretty much didn't put any strain on his body at all) and I don't expect him to be as successful as the 1st time around. He also won't be with the same supporting cast. Nev is old, Saha is old, Pinnear is gone, Johnny H has regressed, Arteta is gone.

*facepalm

Double facepalm: So being merely adequate is getting off the plane into a new league and a new team, playing a position he hadn't played in a long time and becoming player of the month is just adequate. My god. Look at the games he started and how many quality teams we played against in that 3 mo stretch, look at our record before and after he arrived (again against very good teams), the only bad ones were against Brum who played 10 back and sufficated the whole side. He also never got a chance to start against the likes of Hull (would have had a hat trick that game) and the dregs of prem either.

Donovan is older and may not be replicate what he did over that stretch but he was not merely "adequate" his time here.

Drenthe has said he can play on the right or the left, where as Donovan is far more suited to playing on the right as that is his natural position. Royston on the other hand played mostly on the left. Having those two players on each wing would also allow them to swap sides easily because they're both comfortable playing like that.

Distin cannot play with Jagielka ? What on earth are you on about ? Heitinga certainly hasn't been much better since he's played, based on the evidence we have there is no reason to start him over Distin or Jags.

Our midfielders are all **** ? Deary me.

Going to put this post down to under the influence, because despite your massive neg rep i can't believe you'd write something that insane while completely sober.

Drenthe is FAR better on the right in our system.

Donovan is no way near good enough to be able to play on the left in our league in front of Baines -- recipe for disaster.

Why are you bringing Heitinga into a point about Distin / Jagielka ? They ship goals.....they are not suited to form a defensive unit.....surely thats rather obvious since distin signed ?

NONE of our Attacking centre midfielders are any good. Name one.

Donovan is no way near good enough to be able to play on the left in our league in front of Baines -- recipe for disaster.

I'm sorry, but where are you getting this from? He was good enough to play with Neville on the right, so I would think Baines would be an upgrade.

In fact, he should be very used to it: Steve Cherundolo who plays with LD on the right on the US team plays VERY similar to how Baines plays on the left - aka, he and LD would overlap a ton - which is exactly how Baines overlapped with Pienaar.

So far Drenthe has not managed a relationship of that sort with Baines (with Hibbert he has done a bit), so Leighton hasn't been attacking as much. He and Coleman have not been a good pairing, but that's mostly because Seamus has been in no man's land for weeks now.

You thought he was THAT good in his spell at Everton?

Dont get me wrong, I'd take him in a heartbeat to boost this sorry squad up, but he's never a priority for Everton right now.

Funny because I do think he was THAT good for us but I agree with you that NOW, he shouldn't be a priority for us.

A creative CM/AM and an out and out striker should be our priorities right now.

So I agree with the second part of your statement.

Why are you bringing Heitinga into a point about Distin / Jagielka ? They ship goals.....they are not suited to form a defensive unit.....surely thats rather obvious since distin signed ?

NONE of our Attacking centre midfielders are any good. Name one.

I was bringing Heitinga into it because he's the only other option we have. There's no way we should be spending money on a CB right now.

Bily is good, he hasn't been given a fair shot in his natural position, he put in an okay performance against United and is always the first one to get booed when things aren't going well, regardless of how he is actually doing. Many people have said time and time again that if he was given a run of games at CAM he would show what he's made of. Osman did well for us in the second half of last season in the hole, but he's always shipped out on the wings.

I said Drenthe was better on the right.

I haven't seen enough of Donovan play on the left to comment, although i doubt you have either. I'd much rather have Drenthe on the left and Donovan on the right than no Donovan.

Landon can play the left side against Spain, Brazil and Argentina, but can't play it for Everton? I think I've heard everything.

I like Drenthe quite a bit and always have, but if you can shut him down simply by standing between his left foot and the goal, I'm not sure he'll be holding Donovan (or anyone else) back anyway.

I'd welcome him back on loan, his attitude is superb and would give the whole club a lift. Add the raised profile in the States and his pace and ability on the pitch and its a win-win situation.

This loan that's not until the end of the season though isn't really what we want, we should be able to keep him 'til the seasons end imo, and I reckon he would be fitter and sharper then on his return as well.

Whats the MLS cup lads, is that like the playoffs/league?

The MLS Cup is the championship match of Major League Soccer, the highest tier of professional soccer in the United States and Canada. As the final match of the MLS Cup playoffs, the winner is crowned the season champion in the same manner as other North American sports leagues. The MLS Cup finalists are awarded CONCACAF Champions' League berths—the winner earning a spot in the group stage while the runner-up starts in the preliminary round.[1]

On October 20, 1996, the league hosted its inaugural championship, MLS Cup '96. Today the MLS Cup is typically held in late November featuring the winners of the Eastern Conference Championship and Western Conference Championship. The cup champions have been awarded the Philip F. Anschutz Trophy since 2008 while the years prior saw two versions of the Alan I. Rothenberg Trophy presented to winners.[2]

TOUCHDOWN

Status
Not open for further replies.