Donovan back in Jan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to see him back, but have misgivings...

He's not in the same form for MLS or USMNT he was prior to the last loan.... yes, I know he's been injured, but that's the point.....

He wouldn't have anything to prove to his "he can't make it in Europe" naysayers.....

He's not trying to get into peak form for WC.... if anything he's in the down slope of the 4 year cycle

He had a good run last time that, truthfully, has gotten a bit embroidered with time...this said as a LD fan.

On the other hand, maybe he would be able to mentor Coleman a bit????? Help him with the speedy outside-mid thing???

Totally underwhelmed, tbh.

He was adequate in his first spell, no more than that. If Moyes thinks he gives us a huge leap forward that Coleman cant deliver in that berth, and that filling it is the priority in January, then I really dont know what to think of the man's judgement anymore.

I don't know where your eyeballs were when he was playing here, but clearly not watching Landon. Look, you can say he wasn't "stellar/amazing" when he was here, but to say he "underwhelmed" or was just "adequate" is false davek. You only need to read any of the posts/articles/this forum when he was here to realize that.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw your follow-up post to TX Bill. Much less inflammatory.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'd love to see him back, but have misgivings...

He's not in the same form for MLS or USMNT he was prior to the last loan.... yes, I know he's been injured, but that's the point.....

He wouldn't have anything to prove to his "he can't make it in Europe" naysayers.....

He's not trying to get into peak form for WC.... if anything he's in the down slope of the 4 year cycle

He had a good run last time that, truthfully, has gotten a bit embroidered with time...this said as a LD fan.

On the other hand, maybe he would be able to mentor Coleman a bit????? Help him with the speedy outside-mid thing???

I agree with this - hasn't looked the same this year, but also has had some minor injuries this year (Apr, July, Oct) - mostly due to a horribly loaded MLS calendar for the Galaxy - they had a ridiculous amount of games in September.

With that said, he has always looked better when he can complement the players around him, and Everton will be better able to maximize his strengths. For LA, if he's not powering them forward, he has a tendency to fade (often times if they are having issues, they also can't get him the ball on the wing). I think that will be less of a problem here. As for proving himself, if LA wins the Cup, then he'll be done with that and looking for a new challenge, I don't think he'll be lacking for motivation and qualifying begins soon with a new coach.

Regardless if it's LD or someone else, I kinda am back to feeling like we're in the "same old" stage again. We need a pick me up...badly. And Seamus has indeed hit the wall a bit, so any help is good help with him right now.

I don't know where your eyeballs were when he was playing here, but clearly not watching Landon. Look, you can say he wasn't "stellar/amazing" when he was here, but to say he "underwhelmed" or was just "adequate" is false davek. You only need to read any of the posts/articles/this forum when he was here to realize that.

EDIT: Sorry, just saw your follow-up post to TX Bill. Much less inflammatory.

No problem.

I like Donovan. I've said it before that you get 110% out of American players - good attitude and good athletes. If we're being honest though, I think it's fair to say he drifted in and out of games as much as he provided a major difference. His debut against Arsenal away was probably the high point.

We need to use whatever funds we have on someone who can start snapping up these half chances being created.

No problem.

I like Donovan. I've said it before that you get 110% out of American players - good attitude and good athletes. If we're being honest though, I think it's fair to say he drifted in and out of games as much as he provided a major difference. His debut against Arsenal away was probably the high point.

We need to use whatever funds we have on someone who can start snapping up these half chances being created.

I don't agree with you, but that's okay. I think his high point was actually the Chelsea game. He was stellar.

I just don't know what to do with our fund situation. I DO think he would benefit us, I think he's more experienced and can do more on the right than Coleman right now (and apparently Moyes agrees). But we also need more clinical finishers. With that said, I don't know if players want to come to us right now with the way we look and our money situation. So honestly, he might be our best bet.

We need someone to give us a bit of a bright spark. Someone, anyone!

I would go as far as to say Donovan completely inspired and transformed our side in his spell with us, he was a player we had never had in the past, someone with blistering pace but intelligence in his passing and never over elaborate or too cute on the ball, he was a little bit of a talisman in his spell with us and we missed him big time when he left, if we'd of signed him in the summer of 10 we would of finished anywhere between fourth and sixth and not of had the same bad start, where we were left playing catch-up, because we had no real option of top quality out wide and couldn't really play the way we wanted, we still haven't recovered now and have had to start playing a more boring direct style to get results that got us into seventh, he was immense and you will notice the effect he has on us if he returns to full form and ends up back in January, twice the player Drenthe is imo and importantly, a blue. He was an outlet and someone who allowed us to counter-attack with quality and decisiveness which is something we just don't have, will also probably bring the best out of Coleman who needs a mentor as well as a breather. Donovan's dependability to track back could also allow us to play Coleman at right-back as Donovan will keep space occupied and put less pressure on Seamus on that right hand side, pressure that is crippling the lad a bit at the minute. I'm a bit disappointed to hear that Moyes has ruled out a permanent deal as I thought that the sales we have made over the last three windows would leave us with enough wonga to do a deal, but obviously not. I think today highlighted how much we need Landon back.

What? And...what?

P.S. A reporter at ESPN also tweeted yesterday that LD himself said it was "unlikely" that he'll go on loan in the offseason. Course that was before Moyes made this statement.

Some one pointed put on ESPN.com that the Galaxy have a post-season Australian visit lined up. But, Donovan's 'backers' would most likely try and nudge him our way - seeing as Australia has a host of home grown superstars already being used as poster boys for various advertising campaigns. Our own Tim Cahill often graces the cover of Fifa games.

Last time Landon came it was a glorified training exercise for him, to keep fit and stay sharp for the World Cup, this time it would be purely for the enjoyment of playing for and in front of the Everton team he still diligently tweets about regularly.

Up the Toffees..as Landon would say ;);)

End of the day, it'll be another plug to stop the leaks till the end of the season
Short fix for long term problems

Status
Not open for further replies.