2023/24 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Relatively ITK guy on The Peoples Forum saying he's heard DCL to Newcastle for £25m announced on June 1st.

If true, then I don't blame him one bit. He won't want to spend the prime of his career running around chasing scraps and getting his only supply from crosses pinged in from near halfway. Good luck to him.

It's a funny one, Dyche seems to have fixed DCL's body, but at the same time he's accelerated his departure by setting up a team where any striker can only get 10 goals a season max, if he flogs himself into the ground. The absolute opposite of Ancelotti*, who must be a strikers dream to play for.

*I am a fan of Dyche, better fit for the club than Ancelotti, but no striker will flourish here under him.

Relatively ITK guy on The Peoples Forum saying he's heard DCL to Newcastle for £25m announced on June 1st.

If true, then I don't blame him one bit. He won't want to spend the prime of his career running around chasing scraps and getting his only supply from crosses pinged in from near halfway. Good luck to him.

It's a funny one, Dyche seems to have fixed DCL's body, but at the same time he's accelerated his departure by setting up a team where any striker can only get 10 goals a season max, if he flogs himself into the ground. The absolute opposite of Ancelotti*, who must be a strikers dream to play for.

*I am a fan of Dyche, better fit for the club than Ancelotti, but no striker will flourish here under him.

If we got that amount for him and replaced him with Adebayo for half the price, I think that would be great business. Sorry lads.

I've seen that Beechside guy be right about team news but also wrong about a few other higher level things so a pinch of salt.

At the same time, the number I've seen flying about is we need 25m profit before June 30 to satisfy PSR and with DCL being pure profit that has the ring of truth if that's how we're choosing to sort it. I guess it makes sense if we can take that profit early as it will enhance our negotiating position for Onana and / or Branthwaite as we can leave it post Euros. MAYBE we could squeeze a year out of Branthwaite.

It's a worry with our striking options, and would be sad to lose him just as he's coming good but I guess we mustn't forget that 12 months ago Dom had practically zero value after his injuries so maybe in some respects 25m would be a bonus if he won't sign a contract. And while his all round contribution is hard to replace, he hasn't consistently scored goals for a number of years.

The post in question:

DCL to Newcastle £25m
Deal done & announced June1
Wanted to run his contract down so had to be sold.
£130k a week off the payroll…..& leaves us seriously depleted up front.

That fee seems a little on the low side. The wages are incredible :eek:

Effective though he is in a team that pour forward and bomb crosses in every 30 seconds, I don't think Adebayo is half the football player Calvert Lewin has become and he would be lost in this Everton side.

He’s younger, scored more in a much worse side, and has a much better injury record. For half the price I think it would be great business. Again, I’m awfully sorry.

I've seen that Beechside guy be right about team news but also wrong about a few other higher level things so a pinch of salt.

At the same time, the number I've seen flying about is we need 25m profit before June 30 to satisfy PSR and with DCL being pure profit that has the ring of truth if that's how we're choosing to sort it. I guess it makes sense if we can take that profit early as it will enhance our negotiating position for Onana and / or Branthwaite as we can leave it post Euros. MAYBE we could squeeze a year out of Branthwaite.

It's a worry with our striking options, and would be sad to lose him just as he's coming good but I guess we mustn't forget that 12 months ago Dom had practically zero value after his injuries so maybe in some respects 25m would be a bonus if he won't sign a contract. And while his all round contribution is hard to replace, he hasn't consistently scored goals for a number of years.

I think it should be £30mil but we could be taking a £5mil hit on the fee as we want all cash up front.

That £130k a week cant be true surely?

Would hope to sell Beto & Maupay as well and invest in a new CF.

Only a few months ago id have been made up with £25mil so...fair enough.

Effective though he is in a team that pour forward and bomb crosses in every 30 seconds, I don't think Adebayo is half the football player Calvert Lewin has become and he would be lost in this Everton side.

I think we need a different type of CF to DCL.

Someone rapid who can find the net makes more sense if we play on the counter.

He’s younger, scored more in a much worse side, and has a much better injury record. For half the price I think it would be great business. Again, I’m awfully sorry.
I haven't seen enough to comment even if he played against us, and I'm more likely to remember the Luton team from '85 than the one we played a few weeks back.
He's 26 according to wiki, would we get him for that sort of fee, say £13m? That seems really low for a lad who has slotted a few in the PL like?

The post in question:

DCL to Newcastle £25m
Deal done & announced June1
Wanted to run his contract down so had to be sold.
£130k a week off the payroll…..& leaves us seriously depleted up front.

That fee seems a little on the low side. The wages are incredible :eek:
I doubt that's the wage he's on but it's probably the wage he'd need to be on if he signed a new contract.

For me it comes down to whether or not the third line about him wanting to run down his contract is true. If it's his decision that he won't be signing then we have to take the money, as we did with Iwobi.

Even if we could get another year there's no point in having a player whose mind is on his next move next summer, especially the way Dom plays and the injuries he has would he put it all on the line next season or would he protect himself for his next fat contract?

An example is Leicester letting Tielemans wind down his contract rather than selling him with one year to go - not only did it cost them a big transfer fee, but he totally mailed it down in his final season and they got relegated.

If he wants to be here, give him a contract, if he doesn't, take the money.