2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren’t getting good money for him, and IF he suddenly becomes consistently fit, is he a striker of a level we definitely couldn’t afford to buy, and wouldn’t come here anyway.

Best to continue with the rehab, but pretend he doesn’t exist, buy at least one proven goal scorer with whatever funds we have, and if Dom rises from the ashes we’ve won the lottery, in terms of a player for next season and probably a sale.

We aren’t getting good money for him, and IF he suddenly becomes consistently fit, is he a striker of a level we definitely couldn’t afford to buy, and wouldn’t come here anyway.

Best to continue with the rehab, but pretend he doesn’t exist, buy at least one proven goal scorer with whatever funds we have, and if Dom rises from the ashes we’ve won the lottery, in terms of a player for next season and probably a sale.
was just about to say this, he's a really good player and the team plays better when he is in. He sent worth anything like true value if we were to sell now, but we cant go into another season relying own him. Get one good striker, possibly another backup, and if DCL comes good and fit, we are in a good position, if he doesn't, we may be able to cope with the new additions.

I can understand the skeptism totally, I just think with Dyche and his fitness regime he deserves one more roll of the dice. With another capable striker on board I’m hoping more than thinking that he may well comeback with a little less pressure on him. This is half full thinking.
No that's a really good point and I agree with it.

I wasn't saying get rid of DCL, but you worded as though we need to give him patience. We've given him.more time than most.

But yeah if Seany the scotch egg can get him firing on all cylinders then great. But we need another main CF as far as I'm concerned.

….I like Gyrokes but I’m not convinced about him making the huge step-up to PL. He’s competitive and combative but I can see most CBs being comfortable against him with superior pace and power.

I’d much prefer us to bring in somebody like El Bilal Toure, a youngster we were linked with yesterday.
This - I’ve not seen anything in his lad that convinced me he could make the step up

No one is buying him with his injury record so he’ll presumably be staying. The club has to work on having him fully fit for the season but Dave is right, we need to assume he’s not available and just get in two front line strikers. If DCL can offer depth and a bench option to add to that great but we can’t go into the season with him as first choice striker again because he’ll just break down in the first few games again.

No one is buying him with his injury record so he’ll presumably be staying. The club has to work on having him fully fit for the season but Dave is right, we need to assume he’s not available and just get in two front line strikers. If DCL can offer depth and a bench option to add to that great but we can’t go into the season with him as first choice striker again because he’ll just break down in the first few games again.
Agreed - rely on him as our main outlet and we'll be hurtling towards the bottom of the league before you know it.

I can understand the skeptism totally, I just think with Dyche and his fitness regime he deserves one more roll of the dice. With another capable striker on board I’m hoping more than thinking that he may well comeback with a little less pressure on him. This is half full thinking.
He needs to be an afterthought/backup option at best. No serious, sensibly run, professional football club can go into the third year of patiently waiting for their first choice striker to be injury free. Would not happen at any other club in the land.

At least he would have somebody to accompany him on the treatment table. Bamford has had a nightmare injury situation also in the last couple of seasons.
Yes that’s what I meant, he’s been very similar.
We’ll probably end up signing him!! 🤣

A fully fit DCL brings a lot to the team in the forward play, hold up and/or six yard box-style goal poacher role. However, 'fully fit' and Dom is something of a contradiction in terms.

I think too much has been placed on his shoulders as a lone striker these past couple of seasons - running channels, playing hold up, false number 10, main striker...but lacking the support. No wonder he is so injury prone, he's been doing the front line work of two or three players and I think some of that added pressure takes a toll both physically and mentally.

That's why I would love to see him in a forward TWO alongside someone who is equally strong - and he is now whereas he was not previously - and with someone who could share the pressure whilst being equally effective in front of goal. If we are to adopt the counter-attacking style especially away from home as seen in the last two or three games of the season then I honestly believe a forward line of DCL and A.N.Other (check him out on YouTube, brilliant player) would scare the sh1te out of opposition defenders.

It's time for us to be brave - no more relegation battles. Just think Gray and Sharpe, Sutton and Shearer!

Status
Not open for further replies.