2022/23 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pointless making any comparisons with haaland in my view as he is unique.

I don’t disagree with you though as ideally he would still be at Sunderland getting games at the level we need him to be at for us next season ?

I don’t know if he will make it with us. Some players don’t click until years later (eg vardy) but I know I’d rather have him in the squad than rondon (as at least simms has shown he can score some goals recently)
He just isn't PL ready and there's very few cases where players are 22 now and if they are going to make it, aren't already comfortable playing in the league.

My editor is a Sunderland fan, goes every game pretty much - he said he's nowhere near the level and it just backs up anytime I've seen him.

We've hindered his development. Let's hope he can get a run in the team and improve.

The club needs to be cut throat with these sort of players. Calvert Lewin had a great patch during COVID (No Crowds). Before that he scored 11 goals in 3 seasons (PL only). Young or not thats a dreadful return for a forward. Now he has scored 6 goals in his last two seasons and has had an injury ridden career. Good riddance, bring in someone like Muani or Di Maria who is out of contract in the summer. Stop giving these players who are just collecting paychecks new contracts! Its baffling. He will never reach the heights he reached in COVID, hes not that good.

He just isn't PL ready and there's very few cases where players are 22 now and if they are going to make it, aren't already comfortable playing in the league.

My editor is a Sunderland fan, goes every game pretty much - he said he's nowhere near the level and it just backs up anytime I've seen him.

We've hindered his development. Let's hope he can get a run in the team and improve.
I feel for the lad. He was getting game time, scoring goals and learning. He's been dragged back and rightly or wrongly there is a massive expectation on him because he has scored goals and he's not Maupay.
I said the other day, the few Sunderland games I caught he looked a bit lost but came to life in the box and for a team like us who don't really get the ball into the box, it kinda null 'n' voids him. He's not a lone striker, he's not going to win the ball in the air like Dom can, or run the channels but if they can get the ball to him he knows where the goal is. It's whether we have enough in the rest of the squad to support him.
I'm not sure he's premierleague quality but in Dom's absence what else can we do? If Simms is the preferred replacement then i hope Dyche stick with him regardless of whether he has a stinker or not.

and you never know, if he scores and his confidence peaks he may go on a little run.

Giving him his own schedule and road to recovery.

FFS, imagine Leeds coming out with this about Bamford who has pretty much the same record for them as Calvert-Lewin has for us and with a similar injury record. We'd be howling with laughter.

The standards of this club is in the bin. Imagine any halfway decent Everton striker from the past looking at this palaver for a player who's scored 46 goals over about a decade.
The Arsenal game followed by the derby showed beyond a shadow of a doubt that Dom is important for more than just goals. Especially when the other options can't do any of what he does

Giving him his own schedule and road to recovery.

FFS, imagine Leeds coming out with this about Bamford who has pretty much the same record for them as Calvert-Lewin has for us and with a similar injury record. We'd be howling with laughter.

The standards of this club is in the bin. Imagine any halfway decent Everton striker from the past looking at this palaver for a player who's scored 46 goals over about a decade.
59 in what’s now his 7th season, and we pretty much did the same with Yakubu after he snapped his Achilles before eventually binning him for a paltry amount

I feel for the lad, doesn’t sound too clever at all.

The lack of attacking signings in the Jan window is criminal and will likely condemn us to the drop, unless Dyche can find a workable system that fits the players he has available.
Dry up mate. Panic signings or Frank's last signings. Neither would've sufficed. Imagine the fume if we'd gone for a Wieghorst type. This entire fanbase is deluded. Remember Tosun and Niasse. Panic buys getting us deep in the mire. Dyche will sort. He's got no choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.