2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its quite simple isn't it. If the executive at the top are incompetent everyone ends up fiddling while Rome burns. People can moan about Thelwell but the question is what has he stepped into. Bill still at the coalface for negotiations so what's the true role he has been handed.

Our transfer business seems to be a combination of asking Frank and Kevin if they know anybody decent and / or raking through Marcels old notebooks. Selling Richarlison made a premier league survival shaped hole in the starting 11. DCL being injured shouldn't have needed to be the catalyst to get someone in.

On every footballing level this club is an utter shambles. The big fear is that we start bad and bin off a manager who seems to have largely united the fanbase and replace him with a mercenary who wants yet another set of players.

The second we lost richarlison, the only position that mattered was finding a goalscorer in attack. We can sign whatever midfielders, wingers, full backs we like, but if we have no one who can put the ball in the net, then we are going to get relegated.

A normal organised club lines up their replacement before completing the £50-£60m sale. Instead we had absolutely nothing planned, then signed other players in totally different positions, then got a serious injury. Now we are in a hole.

This is not bad luck. This is woeful planning and strategy, and there has been no improvement on previous years. You keep defending the club saying they are trying, but so what? Of course they are trying, but it's not about effort or wanting to do your best, it's about getting results. That's not just for football, but all walks of life. People will judge you on output and results, not on whether you tried hard.

Whatever money we have has to go on the goalscorer right now. If we have nothing left afterwards then fine. This is the priority and the only way to stay in this division. Who cares if we are midfielder light, it's not like our midfield has ever contributed anything in the past.

You've made this point over and over Tim, but it's just plain naive.

1. Richie had to be sold before 30th June for us to fulfil our p&s commitments to the PL.

2. These same commitments prevent us from structuring deals where we pay significant amounts upfront (ie. in the new financial year), which significantly restricts our deal making ability for this window.

3. We have (still) a number of superfluous players on high contracts that simply are not going to be bid for in the first 95% of the window. We have to move them on to generate wriggle room to deal for more players - under those same commitments.

4. We are not City, United, RS, Chelsea - we cannot just go out and bid for who we like and expect them to want to come to us. (On this point, I get that neither are WHU, Forest, Leeds etc, but for them points 1-3 above don't apply).

5. Considering 1-4 above, and the universally understood nature of the summer transfer window, the players accessible to us are most likely to become available in the final 5% of the window.

All of the above is public knowledge and is generally accepted. And yet you are still expecting the club to defy those constraints somehow and berate them as 'not trying' if they don't.

You've made this point over and over Tim, but it's just plain naive.

1. Richie had to be sold before 30th June for us to fulfil our p&s commitments to the PL.

2. These same commitments prevent us from structuring deals where we pay significant amounts upfront (ie. in the new financial year), which significantly restricts our deal making ability for this window.

3. We have (still) a number of superfluous players on high contracts that simply are not going to be bid for in the first 95% of the window. We have to move them on to generate wriggle room to deal for more players - under those same commitments.

4. We are not City, United, RS, Chelsea - we cannot just go out and bid for who we like and expect them to want to come to us. (On this point, I get that neither are WHU, Forest, Leeds etc, but for them points 1-3 above don't apply).

5. Considering 1-4 above, and the universally understood nature of the summer transfer window, the players accessible to us are most likely to become available in the final 5% of the window.

All of the above is public knowledge and is generally accepted. And yet you are still expecting the club to defy those constraints somehow and berate them as 'not trying' if they don't.

It's not naive at all to expect there to be a replacement when you sell a key player for over £50m. It's what happens at every other club in the league. The club hierarchy got us into the financial problems so it is their responsibility to find solutions. They can't absolve themselves of responsibility and you re making excuses for their ineptitude.

The league starts on Saturday and we have no striker. The judge us at the end of the window rhetoric is total nonsense with no substance. In what world do they deserve excuses rather than being held to account?

Rather they didn't as they seem pretty inept.

The investigation begins!

neil-patrick-harris-doctor.gif

It's not naive at all to expect there to be a replacement when you sell a key player for over £50m. It's what happens at every other club in the league. The club hierarchy got us into the financial problems so it is their responsibility to find solutions. They can't absolve themselves of responsibility and you re making excuses for their ineptitude.

The league starts on Saturday and we have no striker. The judge us at the end of the window rhetoric is total nonsense with no substance. In what world do they deserve excuses rather than being held to account?
so we should spend loads and get penalised for ffp, how does that help us out? we`ve strengthened in the most needed areas first so a main striker was last on the list. Dele, McNeil and Tarkowski have really strengthened us which will be proved in the very near future. chill man

so we should spend loads and get penalised for ffp, how does that help us out? we`ve strengthened in the most needed areas first so a main striker was last on the list. Dele, McNeil and Tarkowski have really strengthened us which will be proved in the very near future. chill man
I dont mean spend loads at all. There could be loans, frees or young players on small fees out there. Its about finding options not how much is spent. But going with Rondon and Alli as a false 9 will not work over a season and doing nothing will get us relegated. Surely that's the biggest risk here?

Every other piece of recruitment is pretty irrelevant while we have no fit goalscorer at the club.

The second we lost richarlison, the only position that mattered was finding a goalscorer in attack. We can sign whatever midfielders, wingers, full backs we like, but if we have no one who can put the ball in the net, then we are going to get relegated.

A normal organised club lines up their replacement before completing the £50-£60m sale. Instead we had absolutely nothing planned, then signed other players in totally different positions, then got a serious injury. Now we are in a hole.

This is not bad luck. This is woeful planning and strategy, and there has been no improvement on previous years. You keep defending the club saying they are trying, but so what? Of course they are trying, but it's not about effort or wanting to do your best, it's about getting results. That's not just for football, but all walks of life. People will judge you on output and results, not on whether you tried hard.

Whatever money we have has to go on the goalscorer right now. If we have nothing left afterwards then fine. This is the priority and the only way to stay in this division. Who cares if we are midfielder light, it's not like our midfield has ever contributed anything in the past.
I don't disagree but we had to also juggle that with the need for lots of players for the squad.

I'm not defending the club. You keep saying I am but I'm making it clear I am not. I'm just explaining the situation but you keep ignoring it.

We needed a striker before this and now we need one even more. IMO we should have been more proactive in pushing through a deal for a forward before this week, and it's disappointing that we haven't. I do however understand that there's a lot of caveats.

They need to try harder. The only positive is that there's a month of the window left. But it's not like we weren't going to keep on trying to sign a striker. All my point is, is that as of yesterday we as fans would all have accepted going into the first few games with the squad as it is, plus Gueye, on the pretence that we would be going to get that forward, that we've been chasing all window, in. But with finite resources, it's a risk. And unfortunately it looks like our luck is out, again ffs. So, now the club will have to make a decision - rush through a deal for a striker, and maybe pay more than we'd like to, which in turn means we cannot do other business until we shift some players out, which again they are trying to do but because of all the reasons like they're either crap, injury prone or overpaid (or a combination of these factors) that's going to drag on until late in the window.

Richarlison was a creative player?
Not in the sense of a true playmaker, of course not, but we don't exactly have a lot of creativity anyway.

For the record, last season in all comps, Richarlison's stats were

Chances created - 32 (5th most in our side, Gray 1st with 48)
Big chances (i.e. chances that were in the width of the goal in the six-yard box or 1v1s) - 15 (1st in our side, 7 clear of the next best)
Assists - 5 (joint-1st with Gray)

So yeah, we've lost a creative outlet for us

I dont mean spend loads at all. There could be loans, frees or young players on small fees out there. Its about finding options not how much is spent. But going with Rondon and Alli as a false 9 will not work over a season and doing nothing will get us relegated. Surely that's the biggest risk here?

Every other piece of recruitment is pretty irrelevant while we have no fit goalscorer at the club.
there are loans and frees out there, i think thats what Lampard would`ve been working on for a while, he`s not blind to our predicament and i`d sooner wait for the right player/deal than panic and go for some rubbish like Dennis, Toney etc. we`ll be fine. In Frank We Trust.

Status
Not open for further replies.