2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the point is that once Richarlison was sold, it should have been a high priority to replace the lost goals in some manner at least, whether it be in the form of a scoring winger or a striker that could play across the line, and we've failed to do so. Yes, funds were/are very limited and I do give the team credit for trying to fill some other gaps in Tark, Gueye and such, but bottom line is we knew we needed goals. Also, we knew Dom had a significant injury last season and even after recovery had various niggles that kept him out, so it was not unforeseeable that further injury may occur. Very little contingency planning is the issue. A false 9 at least would be more appealing, if necessary to play that formation in DCL's absence, if we had been able to sign a 10+ goal scoring winger to date. Hoping DCL is not injured badly and we can get a few more goals into the side.

I agree, but it was a priority - and we have failed in that priority.

It isn't for a lack of trying, and it's all our fault, but ultimately it's the financial restraitns that are costing us that.

We went for MGW - a versatile attacker who played CF for Sheff Utd. Wolves wanted £20m up front. That would have pretty much decimated our budget had we paid it.

We want (maybe still want) Cornet, but again, Burnley are - fairly enough - wanting a lot fo money up front. This is speculated that it is because Burnley owe Lyon money still, so need to pay that off and get some cash in for themselves. With McNeil, they were willing to accept a very lenient breakdown of the fee. I was told it was an initial £3.5m. The Athletic have reported today that it's 'below £5m'. Either way, it suited what we could afford and we've replaced Richarlison's 'creativity' if nothing else with him.

We hold, and have held all summer, an interest in Dennis. But again, perhaps Watford are just wanting too much as a downpayment. We also want Broja, which has been made very clear all summer. But the ball is in Chelsea's court and unfortunately they are going to take their time as their business is nowhere near done.

None of the above is a defence of the club. IMO they should have been more proactive in getting a player from elsewhere in Europe that could have come in and played across the front line. But people also need to realise we are not in a position where we can spend £15-20m on a 'back up' striker. We need any player we spend money on to not only be a back up, but also a genuine option for other areas of the pitch too, because we're so weak in the squad.

It's incredibly frustrating, and now, as I keep saying, the club probably have to bite the bullet and push for a forward. But that might well mean we can't go and get other targets, unless we ship out 3-4 players. I'm hoping they manage it, but it's not going to be easy.

I am probably the founding member of the Lampard fan club, but I don't think he has much chance with the lack of support coming from those above him at the club.

Dennis and Toney are also not rubbish compared to our current options. They are enormous upgrades, not that we could even afford or attract Toney right now anyway. I don't think people have quite grasped how bad a situation we are in. We have literally no goals anywhere in the side, and people seem deluded into thinking everything is fine.
This is what is worrying me we have very little threat in that team without Dom. It was imperative we got another goal scorer when Richy left but they didn't.

Not loaning out one of the only other strikers we have to Sunderland would have probably been a good star

Just looked up Broadhead. He is not yet out on loan. And, as I was startled to see, he is 24. I thought he was much younger.

He did well enough at Sunderland to merit a look and he's old enough and presumably seasoned enough. Give him a shot. We need the depth.

Edit: just realized you were talking about Simms. Still, Broadhead, yeah.

You've made this point over and over Tim, but it's just plain naive.

1. Richie had to be sold before 30th June for us to fulfil our p&s commitments to the PL.

2. These same commitments prevent us from structuring deals where we pay significant amounts upfront (ie. in the new financial year), which significantly restricts our deal making ability for this window.

3. We have (still) a number of superfluous players on high contracts that simply are not going to be bid for in the first 95% of the window. We have to move them on to generate wriggle room to deal for more players - under those same commitments.

4. We are not City, United, RS, Chelsea - we cannot just go out and bid for who we like and expect them to want to come to us. (On this point, I get that neither are WHU, Forest, Leeds etc, but for them points 1-3 above don't apply).

5. Considering 1-4 above, and the universally understood nature of the summer transfer window, the players accessible to us are most likely to become available in the final 5% of the window.

All of the above is public knowledge and is generally accepted. And yet you are still expecting the club to defy those constraints somehow and berate them as 'not trying' if they don't.

This is the best summary of our current scenario that i've seen. Well put @Blue_Berry

I think you are right and we may have to wait until the end of the window to see any significant incomings.

Just looked up Broadhead. He is not yet out on loan. And, as I was startled to see, he is 24. I thought he was much younger.

He did well enough at Sunderland to merit a look and he's old enough and presumably seasoned enough. Give him a shot. We need the depth.

Edit: just realized you were talking about Simms. Still, Broadhead, yeah.
He will never be good enough.

I am probably the founding member of the Lampard fan club, but I don't think he has much chance with the lack of support coming from those above him at the club.

Dennis and Toney are also not rubbish compared to our current options. They are enormous upgrades, not that we could even afford or attract Toney right now anyway. I don't think people have quite grasped how bad a situation we are in. We have literally no goals anywhere in the side, and people seem deluded into thinking everything is fine.
I don't think anyone thinks it's fine mate.

But you are one of the ones saying we should have sold Dom - who is (was if he's injured now) - the only goal threat we had left other than Dele if he can rekindle his form, which would have left us in an even worse position?

We have been trying to get forwards in. We need to try harder... But we're held back by a lot of things. Again, it's no defence, because it's our fault that we are in the position we are in.

I don't think anyone thinks it's fine mate.

But you are one of the ones saying we should have sold Dom - who is (was if he's injured now) - the only goal threat we had left other than Dele if he can rekindle his form, which would have left us in an even worse position?

We have been trying to get forwards in. We need to try harder... But we're held back by a lot of things. Again, it's no defence, because it's our fault that we are in the position we are in.

I'm not saying we should definitely have sold him because I didn't know the injury status, and I said many times I saw it as a huge risk to sell him and Richarlison in the same window. But those at the club would have had that information and were in a better place to make a judgement call. It was about weighing up bringing in 30 or 40m versus keeping a player who might be regularly unavailable.

It's easy to use hindsight, but if he is out long term then we should have sold him and reinvested in someone more reliable, but I get why we didn't. We are in a real mess here, with no one to score goals. I've seen people saying we are stronger across the pitch, but it's just not true and almost a bit delusional.

I am very critical of the club because they have not shown me at any time in the last 5 years that they have an organised strategy and a coherent plan, and we've literally had the owner of the club saying nonsense about judging at the end of the window. We have 6 competitive games before that where we will be judged by how we perform, whether the owner likes it or not.

Every day that goes by without getting a forward into the club, is another day where the manager is being enormously let down. He has no chance with this squad, absolutely none. How can you improve a side in this league when you lose the only 2 players you have capable of putting the ball in the net?

This is Rondons big chance to show how good he really is. Wouldn't be surprised to see him net a couple on Saturday. Up the Ronaldon

Status
Not open for further replies.