2021/22 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not surprised at all.

Everton striker Dominic Calvert-Lewin is an injury doubt for England next week after playing with a broken toe at the start of this season.

Calvert-Lewin, 24, has scored three goals in three Premier League games but battled through the pain barrier, with the help of pre-match injections for his fractured big toe, to help his club make an unbeaten start to the campaign.

Gareth Southgate named Calvert-Lewin in his squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Hungary, Andorra and Poland when England can take a huge step towards the finals in Qatar next year.

But he is likely to stay at Everton’s training base at Finch Farm to recover fully from the injury he has been carrying to make him ready for the resumption of Premier League football.

England have 3 games in just over a week, and I dare say DCL knows he would be going as a bit part player, no rest, lots of messing about for nothing. There was something about how he went down, spoke to the physio with his hand to his mouth so no one could lip read. Well, I'm quietly guessing it was something like "2-0 up, this game's in the bag, get me off now and we can make out it is bad enough to get me out of the England squad.. yeah... cheers, Ill limp off now".

His pen technique is boss. The short run up, which he starts very suddenly, catches keepers off guard. Then he hammers it in the corner where no keeper in the middle of their goal is getting too with that short notice.

….I’ve been calling for him to take penalties for a while after seeing him convert for England youth. Only slight concern is every one he’s taken has been to the keepers right. I imagine he’d have to adjust that run up to drive the ball into the other corner.

There was quite a delay and calamity ahead of his goal yesterday, taking that into account it was a very composed finish.

England have 3 games in just over a week, and I dare say DCL knows he would be going as a bit part player, no rest, lots of messing about for nothing. There was something about how he went down, spoke to the physio with his hand to his mouth so no one could lip read. Well, I'm quietly guessing it was something like "2-0 up, this game's in the bag, get me off now and we can make out it is bad enough to get me out of the England squad.. yeah... cheers, Ill limp off now".
That's why Vardy packed it in. He got sick of being messed around and knowing that Prince Harry is undroppable. What's the point in DCL even bothering to turn up for England? Southgate isn't going to pick him. He'll put wingers or centre mids up front before he puts DCL in.

After he penalty debacle of the Euros I'd refuse to play for Southgate ever again. A player like DCL with a proven record of knocking penalties in and he doesn't get brought on but Sancho does. It's a massive snub and he'll learn from this. I hope he follows in Duncs footsteps and refuses to play for his country because his country doesn't deserve him

Status
Not open for further replies.