2020/21 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don't eat yellow snow ....the stick DCL has had on here is rediculous imo..

It seems that way to me.

On another level though, I do understand it. He's bee a work in progress for some time. I remember Neville/Carragher saying, if you come through at your club, and don't move on, they get to see all of your bad games and it takes a lot of times for perceptions to change. Let's say, for arguments sake, United paid the £70m that we may have settled for in the summer, and he's got 5 goals in open play in 3 games. There fans have never seen him struggle before, they are just delighted.

To a degree it similar for us. So I can understand where people come from. In a lot of ways he was very limited, and to a degree he remains very limited. He's an uneven footballer to me. Richarlinson is far more rounded, but Calvert Lewin has aspects of his game which are incredible. Mccoist yesterday was almost salivating on the leap he had off that corner. In the air, he is the best I've seen since Duncan Ferguson at his peak. And Duncan Ferguson at his peak, was the best in the world at that. He may be the best I've ever seen at attacking balls in the air.

He's also quick, and ok at making runs. He's becoming better at holding positions close to the goal, even if it's a little forced. So he's by no means a thoroughbred, but he clearly works very hard and has made big improvements.

Thats what I would say to the doubters really. Who seem to put any obstacle in the way of him, and continually move the goalposts. It's fine to be wrong about a player. In all honesty, people weren't even wrong with Dom, he had a sketchy start and has improved a lot. In fairness I was always a fan, but I've called more wrong than right so it's not really any sort of validation for me. We all write things on here, some we get wrong, some we get right. I get more wrong than right. Not holding your hands up though, when it goes wrong is a bit foolish for me. It doesn't make you an idiot or anything else, it's inevitable sometimes we all have opinions that aren't born out.

As for Calvert Lewin, I think he will get bagfuls of chances each game. We now have a decent supply line. He is very difficult to handle for defenders, at times almost unplayable (in the way Ferguson was in the mid 90's for a time). He is not the best finisher, and while improvements can be made, and he will continue to make, he will still miss some. He gets chances very few can get though, I mean I really don't know many strikers that could get between Alderweiweld and Dier, outjump both, hang in the air and bullet a header past Lloris from 15 yards.

It seems that way to me.

On another level though, I do understand it. He's bee a work in progress for some time. I remember Neville/Carragher saying, if you come through at your club, and don't move on, they get to see all of your bad games and it takes a lot of times for perceptions to change. Let's say, for arguments sake, United paid the £70m that we may have settled for in the summer, and he's got 5 goals in open play in 3 games. There fans have never seen him struggle before, they are just delighted.

To a degree it similar for us. So I can understand where people come from. In a lot of ways he was very limited, and to a degree he remains very limited. He's an uneven footballer to me. Richarlinson is far more rounded, but Calvert Lewin has aspects of his game which are incredible. Mccoist yesterday was almost salivating on the leap he had off that corner. In the air, he is the best I've seen since Duncan Ferguson at his peak. And Duncan Ferguson at his peak, was the best in the world at that. He may be the best I've ever seen at attacking balls in the air.

He's also quick, and ok at making runs. He's becoming better at holding positions close to the goal, even if it's a little forced. So he's by no means a thoroughbred, but he clearly works very hard and has made big improvements.

Thats what I would say to the doubters really. Who seem to put any obstacle in the way of him, and continually move the goalposts. It's fine to be wrong about a player. In all honesty, people weren't even wrong with Dom, he had a sketchy start and has improved a lot. In fairness I was always a fan, but I've called more wrong than right so it's not really any sort of validation for me. We all write things on here, some we get wrong, some we get right. I get more wrong than right. Not holding your hands up though, when it goes wrong is a bit foolish for me. It doesn't make you an idiot or anything else, it's inevitable sometimes we all have opinions that aren't born out.

As for Calvert Lewin, I think he will get bagfuls of chances each game. We now have a decent supply line. He is very difficult to handle for defenders, at times almost unplayable (in the way Ferguson was in the mid 90's for a time). He is not the best finisher, and while improvements can be made, and he will continue to make, he will still miss some. He gets chances very few can get though, I mean I really don't know many strikers that could get between Alderweiweld and Dier, outjump both, hang in the air and bullet a header past Lloris from 15 yards.
I'm not really sure he deserves to be called limited. I mean he isn't a dribbler like Richarlison but that also isn't really a necessity for a striker is it? To me he's got a whole bunch of really useful attributes for his position. No he isn't going to be creating a ton of shots for himself by beating defenders but instead of doing that he bullies them aerially in a way that almost no other forward does. I don't know, I just don't see him as limited, or at least if he is than we might as well be describing every player aside from the true elite ones as such.

It seems that way to me.

Super Tim Cahill, was one of the best ive seen for attacking a header mate, all in for his size and effectiveness i think he has to be up there. He was ridiculous.

I dont see it at all I'm afraid.
Is this because Kane is physically diminished by the injuries (I think he's lost a yard), or just your general take?

Looking at the four assists that Kane got last week, as well as the one for Moura's goal yesterday, I think you'd struggle to make the case that Calvert-Lewin could match his level of passing, vision or ability to drop the shoulder and beat a man. To me, there's virtually no comparison in terms of raw ability.

Is this because Kane is physically diminished by the injuries (I think he's lost a yard), or just your general take?

Looking at the four assists that Kane got last week, as well as the one for Moura's goal yesterday, I think you'd struggle to make the case that Calvert-Lewin could match his level of passing, vision or ability to drop the shoulder and beat a man. To me, there's virtually no comparison in terms of raw ability.

Really the injuries mate. Look I doubt Calvert Leain can match "peak Kane" but this iteration of him, in my view heavily injury riddled I think Calvert Lewin will score more open play goals, win more headers, run the channels better etc. The things that are essential for a number 9.

If you are asking me who's the better number 10, or maybe all round footballer it's a different discussion. However as a number 9, Calvert Lewin is superior to Harry Kane at the ages they are both now at.

At the minute he is a striker bang in form yet people want to criticise him. He does miss chances what striker doesn't. Even when he was poor in the * period of the league he kept trying. I think we've finally put a team round him to get the best from him. I predict he will break the 20 league goals barrier this season.

Really the injuries mate. Look I doubt Calvert Leain can match "peak Kane" but this iteration of him, in my view heavily injury riddled I think Calvert Lewin will score more open play goals, win more headers, run the channels better etc. The things that are essential for a number 9.

If you are asking me who's the better number 10, or maybe all round footballer it's a different discussion. However as a number 9, Calvert Lewin is superior to Harry Kane at the ages they are both now at.
It's a big shout, and obviously only time will tell.

If Calvert-Lewin outscores Kane this season, it'll mean he's had an incredible showing. Even if you boil it down to just pure goalscoring, you could probably count on one hand the number of strikers with better records than Kane (144 in 210 PL games).

I don't mean to detract from Calvert-Lewin, by the way. I couldn't be more impressed with how much his work inside the penalty box has improved.

If you ask me, we definitely need another option, but that isn’t a knock on DCL as much as a testament to our lack of real depth (unless Kean gets the chance to prove otherwise).

I don’t think there is anyone better in the air right now. The amount of times he gets on the end of corners, crosses, etc. should be very alarming to other teams. Eventually they will have to adapt and that may leave others wide open. That means the others will have to step up and help carry the goal burden. Wouldn’t hurt to have another option to switch things up when needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.