2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCL is the anti Lukaku he works hard and tends to play better against good teams. However because of the type of character he is I can see him improving against the weaker sides. I'm still not 100% convinced he can be our main striker although I'm starting to believe. However he is definitely good enough to be a sub and the player that plays when our main striker needs a rest. I think PL most teams would like to have him at least in the squad and he would start for at least half of them.

I think people need to get off DCL back and recognise he's a good player. Whose development has been hampered by poor supply and lack of support in attack. He's showing improvements in accordance to his developmental trajectory and now banging in goals. I can't remember too many youngster giving a tough time for top defenders in the premiership. I mean the likes of Kompany and Van Dyjk all had to battle against him.

That's one of the best headed goals I've ever seen from an everton player. Match winning goal as well. Hopefully that will keep some of our ghoulish fans off his back for a little while

Ancelotti must rate him as he’s said in his interview he won’t be looking for a centre forward in January as the ones we have are good.

In PL football alone DCL averages a goal every 296 minutes. So one every 3 and a bit games, which at his age isn't too bad at all. Big Dunc averaged 1 in 5 or so, for example.

The really positive thing for me though is the fact he is so clearly progressing. If you look at him season by season:

2016/17: 1 goal in 346 mins
2017/18: 4 goals in 1876 mins (469 mins per goal)
2018/19: 6 goals in 1776 mins (296 mins per goal)
2019/20: 6 goals in 1043 mins (174 mins per goal)

He's definitely trending in the right direction.

His average is better when you factor in league cup goals too I think as he's been a bit of a beast in that.

Anyway...I spent a long time not really rating him - but he is really showing good signs now and should be a good squad player for quite some time, pushing for a starting place.

Mad when you think Liverpool sold Solanke for £20m, who has 1 goal in around 1800 premier League minutes.....

If stays fit and he scores at his current rate he will get 12/13 goals in the league this season which is ok. Next season the target should be 15-18 which given he'll hopefully have better players around is a realistic target and a good return. Obviously he won't score that many if we bring someone else in as first choice but that would be an excellent pro rata return if he manages that strike rate as a back up.

To be fair to him his goal scoring record is pretty good this season, and since he is young, his past doesn’t really matter because he was still growing. Still think we can find a better option for the lower sides though.

He is almost always up for the adventurous teams and that is a big weapon to have. Just continue to improve.

In PL football alone DCL averages a goal every 296 minutes. So one every 3 and a bit games, which at his age isn't too bad at all. Big Dunc averaged 1 in 5 or so, for example.

The really positive thing for me though is the fact he is so clearly progressing. If you look at him season by season:

2016/17: 1 goal in 346 mins
2017/18: 4 goals in 1876 mins (469 mins per goal)
2018/19: 6 goals in 1776 mins (296 mins per goal)
2019/20: 6 goals in 1043 mins (174 mins per goal)

He's definitely trending in the right direction.

His average is better when you factor in league cup goals too I think as he's been a bit of a beast in that.

Anyway...I spent a long time not really rating him - but he is really showing good signs now and should be a good squad player for quite some time, pushing for a starting place.

Mad when you think Liverpool sold Solanke for £20m, who has 1 goal in around 1800 premier League minutes.....
Is right mate. He's getting better, still young enough and definitely someone we should be getting behind.

I hope I am proven wrong because I do like the lad but I feel he turn out to be one of those players who is good to throw on off the bench to get stuck into tired defenders. I think if we have lofty ambitions then we would need someone a bit more prolific than he currently is.

Been really impressive recently and has piped me right down. Hope he carries on the improvement because his centre forward play seems to becoming more polished. You can tell that he is a real pain in the arse for CB’s to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.