2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
1577447909808-png.74961

I know he's a [four letter word], but how come Vardy isn't named on that graph ?

DCL is a classic of English coaching from A to Z. He can hold it up, turn, lay it off and get on the end of things. Whether he's good enough for where we want to be is another question.

But he's the top scorer so....respect.

Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin has scored six goals in his 17 Premier League games this season, equalling his best goal scoring return in a single top-flight campaign (six in 35 appearances in 2018-19).

DCL is a classic of English coaching from A to Z. He can hold it up, turn, lay it off and get on the end of things. Whether he's good enough for where we want to be is another question.

But he's the top scorer so....respect.

He's definitely moving in the right direction, he's scored as many now as he did all of last season.

At 22 he still has time on his side to improve his game, and judging by what Ancelotti had to say recently he obviously sees something in him. He would probably also be a little further on with his game had Koeman not stuck him out on the wing every game, which probably didn't do his confidence much good either.

Carlo obviously feels Kean and DCL are good enough, still think I'd rather ditch Tosun and Niasse and get another mind. I suppose Richarlison is playing more and more up front in a two as well so really we have 3 very young forwards who all have huge potential, In a few seasons time we may have an absolute beast of a forward line...and then they'll be sold.

Carlo obviously feels Kean and DCL are good enough, still think I'd rather ditch Tosun and Niasse and get another mind. I suppose Richarlison is playing more and more up front in a two as well so really we have 3 very young forwards who all have huge potential, In a few seasons time we may have an absolute beast of a forward line...and then they'll be sold.

Depends what formation we play. If it involves 2 up front we need one more in place of Tosun and Niasse. However that can maybe wait until summer when Ancelloti can decide who he wants rather than rush into a silly purchase.

I just can't see it. DCL may have gotten lucky when he flung himself at the cross and his header sneaked in off the post (and I know he had gotten himself in he correct position to do so in the first place) but his general play is just not good enough. There were a 2 or 3 chances to hit Burnley on the break, when they were temporarily not in their defensive formation. On each occasion DCL's poor control scuppered the opportunity. Although he wins a few headers in the middle of the park (ie-in non threatening positions) he rarely finds a team mate with these headers. He doesn't create goal scoring opportunities for himself or others and the chances others create for him he tends to head tamely over the bar or hit tamely at the keeper. He's 22. If he was going to be any good he would be by now. Watch him during the game. His positive contributions are few and far between.

I just can't see it. DCL may have gotten lucky when he flung himself at the cross and his header sneaked in off the post (and I know he had gotten himself in he correct position to do so in the first place) but his general play is just not good enough. There were a 2 or 3 chances to hit Burnley on the break, when they were temporarily not in their defensive formation. On each occasion DCL's poor control scuppered the opportunity. Although he wins a few headers in the middle of the park (ie-in non threatening positions) he rarely finds a team mate with these headers. He doesn't create goal scoring opportunities for himself or others and the chances others create for him he tends to head tamely over the bar or hit tamely at the keeper. He's 22. If he was going to be any good he would be by now. Watch him during the game. His positive contributions are few and far between.

Ian Wright was playing for Greenwich Borough at 22.

Carlo obviously thinks differently, he has been quoted in one of today’s rags(the Daily Fail) as saying he thinks Dom is a potentially great striker. Now while I may not agree with him I accept that he is a far better judge of a player than me, or indeed than any of us. He is adamant that he will not be asking for a centre forward in the window, because he thinks we are strong in that position.
I would also suggest, my own opinion, that whilst he does not produce defence splitting passes, he does create scoring chances by the constant pressure he puts on the opposition central defenders, which often pulls them out of position leaving gaps for other players to exploit.

Status
Not open for further replies.