2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think that's the issue mate. And i think you know that.

I agree he's the least of our problems but he / you / anyone can't be surprised he's getting some grief given the two misses from Richy crosses and the sitter he blazed straight at Leno. For the latter, he had the entire left of Leno's goal to slide the ball into. It was really poor.

But he's been great overall since Silva left. Lots to improve on still.

cc: @Saint Domingo

This is my primitive Ruthlessness Index.

Here are shots taken, goals scored, and % of shots scored for all goal scorers with 10+ goals this season. No xG stuff - not considering the probability of each shot.

GoalsShots% of Shots Scored
Vardy
17​
57​
29.8%​
Aubameyang
17​
64​
26.6%​
Mane
13​
57​
22.8%​
Ings
15​
66​
22.7%​
Aguero
16​
72​
22.2%​
Wood
10​
45​
22.2%​
Calvert Lewin
12​
60​
20.0%​
Kane
11​
56​
19.6%​
Martial
10​
54​
18.5%​
Abraham
13​
73​
17.8%​
Sterling
11​
67​
16.4%​
Salah
15​
94​
16.0%​
Pukki
11​
69​
15.9%​
Richarlison
10​
66​
15.2%​
Jesus
10​
67​
14.9%​
Jimenez
12​
90​
13.3%​

DCL is 7th out of 16, and ahead of some pretty good names.

With the exception of Wood, who's under the radar and probably benefits from this exercise by having considerably fewer shots in the denominator than most of these guys, and Ings, who is having a career season, the guys ahead of him have well-earned reputations as cut-throat finishers over several seasons.

Now I've watched the games. I've seen him miss the sitters and tap-ins. He unquestionably has room to improve on that, let's be honest.

Give him two more goals on the season - which is not a stretch, since he missed one sitter against Palace and at least two, if not three, against Arsenal, and he would be at 23.3%, a few decimals ahead of all but two strikers, and those two are truly elite.

What this tells me is that if he develops more of a clinical edge he will be one of the elite strikers in the entire PL.

All due caveats re: the blunt instrument of this measurement, small sample size, etc., although 27 games is a pretty good sample - almost 3/4 of a season.

This is my primitive Ruthlessness Index.

Here are shots taken, goals scored, and % of shots scored for all goal scorers with 10+ goals this season. No xG stuff - not considering the probability of each shot.

GoalsShots% of Shots Scored
Vardy
17​
57​
29.8%​
Aubameyang
17​
64​
26.6%​
Mane
13​
57​
22.8%​
Ings
15​
66​
22.7%​
Aguero
16​
72​
22.2%​
Wood
10​
45​
22.2%​
Calvert Lewin
12​
60​
20.0%​
Kane
11​
56​
19.6%​
Martial
10​
54​
18.5%​
Abraham
13​
73​
17.8%​
Sterling
11​
67​
16.4%​
Salah
15​
94​
16.0%​
Pukki
11​
69​
15.9%​
Richarlison
10​
66​
15.2%​
Jesus
10​
67​
14.9%​
Jimenez
12​
90​
13.3%​

DCL is 7th out of 16, and ahead of some pretty good names.

With the exception of Wood, who's under the radar and probably benefits from this exercise by having considerably fewer shots in the denominator than most of these guys, and Ings, who is having a career season, the guys ahead of him have well-earned reputations as cut-throat finishers over several seasons.

Now I've watched the games. I've seen him miss the sitters and tap-ins. He unquestionably has room to improve on that, let's be honest.

Give him two more goals on the season - which is not a stretch, since he missed one sitter against Palace and at least two, if not three, against Arsenal, and he would be at 23.3%, a few decimals ahead of all but two strikers, and those two are truly elite.

What this tells me is that if he develops more of a clinical edge he will be one of the elite strikers in the entire PL.

All due caveats re: the blunt instrument of this measurement, small sample size, etc., although 27 games is a pretty good sample - almost 3/4 of a season.
The only counter to this is that his shots in general tend to be quite close to goal, but I honestly can't get my head round the fact that some on here are complaining about a 22 year old striker who's scored 12 goals in 20 starts this season. It's bonkers.

The only counter to this is that his shots in general tend to be quite close to goal, but I honestly can't get my head round the fact that some on here are complaining about a 22 year old striker who's scored 12 goals in 20 starts this season. It's bonkers.
Hey hey your counter is the exact reason that expected goals was created, but we can't talk about that.

Anyway you're right, he's really playing well and shooting from closer to the goal is clearly a good thing. Someone said when's the last time he scored from outside the box and honestly who the bleep cares? It doesn't matter at all. Good goal scorers are the ones who get shots away from in the box.

Its what will stop him becoming a top player.

Forget how many goals he scores from tap ins and headers - if he's missing those chances frequently especially in big games that decide trophies and european qualification it becomes an issue.

He'll never get the strikers instinct - the fact he was originally played as a midfielder suggests finishing was never his thing he's just going through a good patch but if that simmers down he hasn't much to hang his hat onto.

Least of our problems. Strikers have to be absolutely perfect when they’ve got the midfield we have behind them. If we got a decent midfield then he can be judged on his finishing. What do people expect him to do with punts from Pickford or crosses from Coleman more than he is already doing?

To not miss absolute sitters at the rate he currently is.

he is crud.
I think in that particular incident he could have slotted the ball to the left or the right, put it through the goalies legs, put into the net anywhere, I think it would have been ruled out by VAR, the referee let the game go on from the save, but if it had gone in then VAR would have come into play and would have given offside.

Carlo Ancelotti is picking you to play alongside the Brazil striker, but you are championship level, apparently.

Mind boggles at some folks obsession with an internet agenda.

I think he's doing ok . I've seen Graeme Sharp miss easy chances . Watched Yakuba hit it over the bar from what seemed like three inches . Lineker cost us the title by squandering chance after chance at Oxford. If posters on here think he's rubbish , that's fine . They should stop boring the normal ones on here with their constant whining .

I think in that particular incident he could have slotted the ball to the left or the right, put it through the goalies legs, put into the net anywhere, I think it would have been ruled out by VAR, the referee let the game go on from the save, but if it had gone in then VAR would have come into play and would have given offside.
He misses guilt edged chances far too often. He’ll do it in a big big game soon an you’ll all get the daggers out

He misses guilt edged chances far too often. He’ll do it in a big big game soon an you’ll all get the daggers out
Dominic will get no daggers from me, he has made continual improvement since he came into the first team squad over two seasons ago, proving himself as a scorer this season and I expect the goal tally to keep rising. The only players who get the dagger from me are the shirkers who don’t pull their weight, we have two or three in the squad and they let themselves down, their team mates and us fans down, but doubt very much if it weighs heavy on their conscience.

Status
Not open for further replies.