2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.

He's definitely getting there. A year ago he wasn't even getting into positions where he could miss. The fact that he should have scored more yesterday is a definite upgrade from him just making up the numbers. Hopefully we will see him stepping up again next season, by putting his chances away.

He could develope into something special. On the other hand, this might be as good as it gets.

According to some at this time last year DCL was just not a Premiership standard striker and should not be in the team.

This year, he is a Premiership standard player but not good enough for Everton, scoring 12 Premiership goals apparently is not enough.

If he improves further next season, what will the argument against him be then ?
I have to admit I was saying that he wasn't a Premier League striker this time last year but he has proven me completely wrong. He is certainly good enough for us and has the potential to become better in the future. For some people though, whether it is to save face over their earlier comments or some delusion over having a Shearer-like striker instead, he will never be good enough. I'm sure if you go on the fans forums of other teams you will see similar things but the vitriol that some people have for our own players, including those that are performing well is utterly bizarre.

I think Dominic is a very good striker who will continue to improve, he is that good, in my opinion, that I just take him for granted and don’t write and give him the praise he deserves for his whole hearted and clever play for the Blues, keeps the line moving, makes space for his team mates, especially Richarlison and that is also without mentioning his goals and some assists. He will play for England soon, possibly this year.

I think that the sum of DCL and Richarlison playing together is greater than the total of their individual parts
DCL has to play in a front two and Richarlison creates masses of space for him. DCL definitely needs Richarlison but I don't believe Richarlison needs DCL. That's not taking anything away from DCL, he's playing very well for the most part, but he can only play in one position and is far, far more effective with a partner whereas Richarlison can play in numerous positions and, although he clearly has a good thing going with DCL currently, he doesn't need a partner to do what he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.