2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't disagree with anything you say in relation to DCL's actual play - good link work, still improving, at least potentially a useful squad player, maybe will even be a good scorer one day. I do disagree a little with what you said about people on this forum, however. There is a significant proportion thinking he is the long term front player and should be accepted as he is, or given more time as a regular starter to become a good goals man.

What some of us think, is that DCL, especially in view of the paucity of other potential scorers in the side (Richarlison excepted), should be replaced in the starting 11 if possible by someone more reliably slotting chances and capable of making his own. Not really much separating the views of most people, but really causing a lot of feeling.

In the long run he is going to be a rotation player/sub.

To be that player our squad needs to improve and we have more critical areas to improve before another striker. A keeper, centre half and midfielder first....

David nugent has played for england

Michael ricketts has played for england

francis Jeffers has played for england

Jay bothroyd has played for engand

you can see where I am going with this?

Peter Crouch played for England and had one of the best goals to games ratios for them..... it's not always your fanboy type players who do well.

Amazing how Rashford rarely gets a mention when striker comparisons are made, or lists of the top English strikers are drawn up. Rashford is light years ahead of DCL and he also cost zilch.

He also got slated by clueless man United fans before third season where he finally got some consistency....

It will be interesting to see when the “he’s only young, he’s 22” arguments become redundant. When do players stop improving? Do players get much better after 24 after playing about 150 premier league games? I’m in the middle really, think he’s alright. Good for now but not good for when we are serious about challenging the top four. He’s played over 100 games and he has improved, but do people think he’s going to become one of the best strikers in the premier league in the next two years?

It will be interesting to see when the “he’s only young, he’s 22” arguments become redundant. When do players stop improving? Do players get much better after 24 after playing about 150 premier league games? I’m in the middle really, think he’s alright. Good for now but not good for when we are serious about challenging the top four. He’s played over 100 games and he has improved, but do people think he’s going to become one of the best strikers in the premier league in the next two years?

Off the top of my head drogba never did much. Then it all seemed to click in his mid 20s.

The understanding of the game gets better each year. There's no upper limit to this.

However, there's a peak age curve in terms of physical performance which tails when your legs give up.

Yes, he can become one of the best strikers in the premier league as he's got everything in his locker. He just needs to develop a certain arrogance in his style and be more focus in scoring goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.