2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
A proven goalscorer to put away the chances we don't create?

OK then.
Richy scored from what was effectively a non-chance at the point when he received the ball. With a top scorer, there's always a chance of a goal when they have the ball in or around the opposition area, even if no shooting opportunity when the ball lands at their feet. Despite recent improvement, not seeing this from DCL.

Richy scored from what was effectively a non-chance at the point when he received the ball. With a top scorer, there's always a chance of a goal when they have the ball in or around the opposition area, even if no shooting opportunity when the ball lands at their feet. Despite recent improvement, not seeing this from DCL.

Yeah true enough but there are not a lot of them around and people just keep saying we need a "goalscorer". Not someone who can create his own chances which every team could do with.

We struggle to attack as a team. Or have done until recently anyway.

This for me is the difference. I like DCL, I think he has a great attitude an he can contribute to the team in various ways. However, to be a top striker you need to be able to create chances for yourself from nothing. Exactly what Richie did which won us the game. I havent seen anything to suggest DCL can do this but he is certainly worthy of starting at the moment. If we are challenging for a top four start at the beginning of 21/22, which has to be the aim surely, I dont think DCL will be good enough for that CL assault. There's certain things you can improve, which he definitely has. Ultimately, that bit of brilliance, quality that all the top sides have at their disposal up front, I dont think you can teach.

I don't know... is there??? By all accounts DCL is close to a call up.... had rave reviews off managers and pundits.
You like to create arguments with no real credibility to justify your bile for the lad.

You think TAA would leave the best team in the league, his boyhood club ? He has probably forgot what it feels like not win win a match . People don’t bid for the best teams players when that player is such an important part of the system.

Crackers how polarising Dom is, He's either loved or loathed, doesn't seem to be a lot of grey area. I like the kid and I honestly believe he will become a 15 a season striker personally. He will certainly have a top flight career and I think it will be with us. His attitude is spot on, he works hard, seems to be a good student of the game and is improving all the time. Happy days.

Crackers how polarising Dom is, He's either loved or loathed, doesn't seem to be a lot of grey area. I like the kid and I honestly believe he will become a 15 a season striker personally. He will certainly have a top flight career and I think it will be with us. His attitude is spot on, he works hard, seems to be a good student of the game and is improving all the time. Happy days.

I think hes alright

No one who rates him is actually expecting this from him... Richarlison is a bonfide world class striker in the making who could play for most sides in the world.

DCL is a lad who has had rough edges that are being smoothed away and make him a worthy squad member. But that is too much to comprehend for some on here.... it's as if they have been told "he is your striker and goalscoring hopes for the next 10 years so enjoy"

DCL has a place in many squads due to his ability to get other players brought into the game and to stretch a defence.

You think TAA would leave the best team in the league, his boyhood club ? He has probably forgot what it feels like not win win a match . People don’t bid for the best teams players when that player is such an important part of the system.

That wasn't your point... your point was DCL can't be good cos no one has bid for him.

Has anyone bid for Rashford, Richarlison, cantwell?

If we chose to sell DCL there would be an abundance of interested clubs. Liverpool got £20m plus for solanke! DCL would get in most lower half of the table teams absolutely no question. Someone like moyes would pay big for him at West ham.

No one who rates him is actually expecting this from him... Richarlison is a bonfide world class striker in the making who could play for most sides in the world.

DCL is a lad who has had rough edges that are being smoothed away and make him a worthy squad member. But that is too much to comprehend for some on here.... it's as if they have been told "he is your striker and goalscoring hopes for the next 10 years so enjoy"

DCL has a place in many squads due to his ability to get other players brought into the game and to stretch a defence.
Don't disagree with anything you say in relation to DCL's actual play - good link work, still improving, at least potentially a useful squad player, maybe will even be a good scorer one day. I do disagree a little with what you said about people on this forum, however. There is a significant proportion thinking he is the long term front player and should be accepted as he is, or given more time as a regular starter to become a good goals man.

What some of us think, is that DCL, especially in view of the paucity of other potential scorers in the side (Richarlison excepted), should be replaced in the starting 11 if possible by someone more reliably slotting chances and capable of making his own. Not really much separating the views of most people, but really causing a lot of feeling.

That wasn't your point... your point was DCL can't be good cos no one has bid for him.

Has anyone bid for Rashford, Richarlison, cantwell?

If we chose to sell DCL there would be an abundance of interested clubs. Liverpool got £20m plus for solanke! DCL would get in most lower half of the table teams absolutely no question. Someone like moyes would pay big for him at West ham.

The point is you said that pep rates him ... if he rated him so highly he would buy him. Just like stones , just like Man U did with lukaku. Nobody is bidding for TAA because on no level does that transfer even get off the ground. Player, club don’t want it and are happy. Nobody has bid for rashfors because he plays for Man U and they would want 100+ and wouldn’t sell to a rival. DCL has been here years and nobody has been interested. The teams he would get into can’t afford him and the teams that can afford him he isn’t good enough for

Crackers how polarising Dom is, He's either loved or loathed, doesn't seem to be a lot of grey area. Crackers how polarising Dom is, He's either loved or loathed, doesn't seem to be a lot of grey area. I like the kid and I honestly believe he will become a 15 a season striker personally. He will certainly have a top flight career and I think it will be with us. His attitude is spot on, he works hard, seems to be a good student of the game and is improving all the time. Happy days.

as someone relatively new to GOT, my impression is that this is the case with the majority of players in the squad

He’s quality/promising/puts in a shift/good stats/I like him

He’s jarg

Repeat

Status
Not open for further replies.