2019/20 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The understanding of the game gets better each year. There's no upper limit to this.

However, there's a peak age curve in terms of physical performance which tails when your legs give up.

Yes, he can become one of the best strikers in the premier league as he's got everything in his locker. He just needs to develop a certain arrogance in his style and be more focus in scoring goals.

He also needs to develop a significant amount more footballing talent unfortunately though, which is sadly impossible. If he was showing some next-level kind of ability in flashes (as Richarlison, for example, shows regularly e.g. the skill for the goal on Saturday), then you'd say he has it in his locker and he could really improve with time. He quite clearly doesn't have that level of technical ability and imagination though and he's never shown it. I think, having watched DCL for years now and knowing his attitude etc, that he is not far off maxing out on what he's capable of.

He also needs to develop a significant amount more footballing talent unfortunately though, which is sadly impossible. If he was showing some next-level kind of ability in flashes (as Richarlison, for example, shows regularly e.g. the skill for the goal on Saturday), then you'd say he has it in his locker and he could really improve with time. He quite clearly doesn't have that level of technical ability and imagination though and he's never shown it. I think, having watched DCL for years now and knowing his attitude etc, that he is not far off maxing out on what he's capable of.

The main problem was that DCL was badly managed by managers who were mainly defenders in their earlier careers. Hopefully, Carlo will help his development by providing him the support he needs to score goals.

Incidentally, his goals per minute in the premiership is better than Kane and Rashford's if you exclude their penalties.

The thing is, we're paying other players who shouldn't be near the starting XI over £100k a week.
They should probably consider putting all contract talks on hold until Niasse leaves.

I can definitely buy the argument that no one is going to accept less money than what he's on.

In two minds with Dom, love to give him time to develop. but needs to be taking chances like the one on one Saturday. His movement and link up play is great but finishing leaves a lot to be desired at times. If we do want to kick on and have ambitions of breaking the 'sky lovies top 4/6' then we need a much higher quality of No.9

In two minds with Dom, love to give him time to develop. but needs to be taking chances like the one on one Saturday. His movement and link up play is great but finishing leaves a lot to be desired at times. If we do want to kick on and have ambitions of breaking the 'sky lovies top 4/6' then we need a much higher quality of No.9

We do - Richarlison.

Said it before, this guy needs about 6 chances in a game to score, not a natural striker.

He can work as hard as he wants which is good however if we were ever in a final of a cup competition and he is running through on goal 2 minutes to go would you be confident he scores for us to win it?

I will leave that thought there.

Should have scored again Saturday, needs to start taking more of the chances he gets so we can kill games, I like players who score goals even if thats so called pointless ones

Said it before, this guy needs about 6 chances in a game to score, not a natural striker.

He can work as hard as he wants which is good however if we were ever in a final of a cup competition and he is running through on goal 2 minutes to go would you be confident he scores for us to win it?

I will leave that thought there.

That's the problem, isn't clinical enough, we don't create that many 'clear cut' chances in games as it is. Need someone to be slotting when chances present themselves.

Drogba didn’t even have a pro contract until 20 as he kept moving from France to Ghana . DCL has been playing footy and being coached probably for the last 10 years

True but he still never came to most peoples attention until he was 25 at marseille.

The main problem was that DCL was badly managed by managers who were mainly defenders in their earlier careers. Hopefully, Carlo will help his development by providing him the support he needs to score goals.

Incidentally, his goals per minute in the premiership is better than Kane and Rashford's if you exclude their penalties.

I know this is a popular excuse for young players, but I'm genuinely amazed you've used it for DCL.

He's one of the luckiest players in the premier league. Our laughable attempts at signing strikers over the last 3 years saw DCL play tens of games and gain huge premier league experience before he was even actually premier league standard. He's now played 100 league games, near enough. Most in his preferred position, at a top-half club. That's the dream. It's no surprise he's improved a bit. Managers have been forced to play him because the alternatives were Oumar Niasse and Cenk Tosun. He's been given game after game after game here. There's barely been an opportunity to mis-manage him and he certainly hasn't been.

"But he got played at right wing-back once though!!".

Status
Not open for further replies.