2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I Don't know where this myth about DCL's great link play/holding the ball up etc has come from. He continually under hits his passes, he never sees the killer pass soon enough (if at all), his 'holding the ball up' consists of falling over next to the defender and he has a knack of giving away needless fouls when we are in a dangerous attacking position. Add to that his total inability to stick the ball in the net and the fact that (in footballing terms) he's no longer young! He'll be playing for the likes of Preston or Wigan in the Championship within a few seasons. Get rid!

He's got a lot of potential, but he's never going to be the poacher that we all want.

But... Silva doesn't want a poacher. His system relies on a player with pace, strength and tenacity - all of which DCL has and it's why we've seen an upturn in form since he got in (not that he is the only factor, but him having an established run is part of it, to deny it would be stupid).

We need a striker. We need a player who can get into double figures at least.

But that player needs to also bring to the table what DCL does, but with the goals on top.

It's not easy to find that player but I trust Marcel/Marco will know who they want. And that way, we should have at least two very capable options for that role next season.

I Don't know where this myth about DCL's great link play/holding the ball up etc has come from. He continually under hits his passes, he never sees the killer pass soon enough (if at all), his 'holding the ball up' consists of falling over next to the defender and he has a knack of giving away needless fouls when we are in a dangerous attacking position. Add to that his total inability to stick the ball in the net and the fact that (in footballing terms) he's no longer young! He'll be playing for the likes of Preston or Wigan in the Championship within a few seasons. Get rid!

Look at his play for our first goal on Friday lad.

He's played a crucial role in a team that has won five out of seven games, three of which have been against teams in the top six. His play at times has been integral to that.

We all know he needs to improve his a) positioning and b) finishing. Everything else has improved massively in the last six months along.

Silva clearly rates him highly, so a div comment like 'get rid' is just moronic.

And he's 22. He's still young (even in football terms).

People lauding his link play are very easily impressed. It´d be tough going to find a striker in the league who isn´t capable of getting the ball and laying it off. It´s professional football after all...
Depends on whether you think lukaku is in the prem league anymore.....

I find it all a bit strange that people will defend DCL to the hilt but the very same people get upset when we´re languishing around the likes of Bournemouth all season.
Its cos DCL hasn't played "all season" and only when he has played in the centre forward role on a consistent run for the last 10+ games is when we improved as a team.

He's got a lot of potential, but he's never going to be the poacher that we all want.

But... Silva doesn't want a poacher. His system relies on a player with pace, strength and tenacity - all of which DCL has and it's why we've seen an upturn in form since he got in (not that he is the only factor, but him having an established run is part of it, to deny it would be stupid).

We need a striker. We need a player who can get into double figures at least.

But that player needs to also bring to the table what DCL does, but with the goals on top.

It's not easy to find that player but I trust Marcel/Marco will know who they want. And that way, we should have at least two very capable options for that role next season.

If DCL is given the first choice role for an entire season he'd defo get double figure goals. I have no doubt about that at all.

Based on what though? He's played 35 times in the league this season as a forward and only slotted 6, and hasn't scored in the last 7 games in which he's pretty much played 90 minutes in every one

Progress.

Minutes played.

Confidence.

No idea why it's like a race to call a 22 year old that's shown promise not good enough. We've had 1 striker that 1 time managed 20 league goals in Premier League era.

He's good enough in so many places that I am more than willing to be patient and see what happens.

Let me put it this way, he's definitely not the squeaky wheel preventing us from moving forward. Silva was all over the place for months...as was our goalkeeper and defence. That said I think he's earned another season...as has DCL.

Status
Not open for further replies.