2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
6 league goals in 19 starts and 16 sub appearances isn’t enough.

It's not, but the team also isn't built around creating chances for him to score from.

We definitely need another striker, but they have to offer what Dom can in terms of running the line and creating space for others. Otherwise, our current system won't work.

What I will say is in the main when Dom has got good chances this season he has taken them. The only real exception I can think of is the Fulham game.

The improvement this season is there for all to see.

Dominic Solanke went for £20m mate.

Dom is on a deal until 2022 (IIRC) and is a first-choice striker for a side that has just beaten 3 of the top six in a row and generally is one of the bigger clubs in the league.

He's 22 and English. He's got pace and can bully defenders. He obviously needs to improve on the actual goalscoring side but also Silva's system isn't built around creating chances for the striker.

So while you or I can believe his 'true' value would probably be closer to 10/15m, there's absolutely no chance he'd go for anywhere below £20m in the current market. Not that he'll be getting sold anyway and not that there will be any of the top six in for him, so it's all academic :)

*2023 deal.

Gerrard and Keane were just different types of player. It's like comparing Gomes and Gana, they're not doing the same things. Keane actually had the ability to score goals, as evidenced by his record at Forest where he scored 32 goals from midfield by the age of 21 (DCL has 17 for us by the age of 22 just for context) but at United he was given a different role due to the attacking options they had.

Bergkamp's just an awful example for you to use really. Aswell as the fact that his scoring record was much better than that until he reached the veteran stage and the goals dried up, you have to remember he wasn't the main striker for Arsenal. He played a role like Sigurdsson plays for, us behind Wright and then Henry who definitely were prolific. They were the ones in DCL's position. Bergkamp was also a gifted player capable of moments of match winning magic, either scoring unbelievable goals or ripping teams open with passes. He was not a Dutch Shane Long.
Oof outscored by Roy Keane.

Heavy that.

6 league goals in 19 starts and 16 sub appearances isn’t enough.
That's the bottom line really isn't it?

He's like Andy Johnson when the goals dried up. Puts in an effort and helps the team but that's not all we want or need from a striker.

I'm pleased with how he's kicked on but if he doesn't add the goals to his game then he's not going to go any further than being a squad player for us.

It's not, but the team also isn't built around creating chances for him to score from.

We definitely need another striker, but they have to offer what Dom can in terms of running the line and creating space for others. Otherwise, our current system won't work.

What I will say is in the main when Dom has got good chances this season he has taken them. The only real exception I can think of is the Fulham game.

The improvement this season is there for all to see.
It's not just about missing sitters though.

Again I want to point out that i'm not slating him here or saying he can't improve on this, but I think people are being a little too forgiving about the lack of goal threat in general.

If you don't recall him missing any chances, and he's only got 6 goals, then that tells it's own story I think, that he needs to improve on his ability to get chances. There was an example in the second half on sunday where Sigurdsson teed him up at the edge of the box and I think the entire ground expected him to hit it. He didn't though, he took a touch, maybe 2, and then passed it. It's that type of thing that he needs to work on, it was a chance but he didn't even get a shot away. It's all very well lauding him for running round when we're winning 4-0 but if he does that at 0-0 we're all going mad, hence you remembering him missing a chance at Fulham when we lost but not at West Ham when we won. The other players won't always score the goals we need, he has to be able to get his fair share too, and I think that's all anybody is saying in here.

Dominic Solanke went for £20m mate.

Dom is on a deal until 2022 (IIRC) and is a first-choice striker for a side that has just beaten 3 of the top six in a row and generally is one of the bigger clubs in the league.

He's 22 and English. He's got pace and can bully defenders. He obviously needs to improve on the actual goalscoring side but also Silva's system isn't built around creating chances for the striker.

So while you or I can believe his 'true' value would probably be closer to 10/15m, there's absolutely no chance he'd go for anywhere below £20m in the current market. Not that he'll be getting sold anyway and not that there will be any of the top six in for him, so it's all academic :)

It is only my opinion as I stated. Not bothered about Bournemouth paying a stupid amount. All I am saying is DCL is not proven (as Solanke wasn't) and has played quite well only just recently. Does that then make him worth 20m minimum? Who do you think would buy him for that much taking Eddie Howe out of the equation. Wouldn't most clubs in the PL look at what they already have and say there strikers score probably more than DCL so slap a 20-30m price tag on them regardless of how good they are.

I wouldn't sell for 20m because I think he has a chance to improve his scoring but time is running out for him. The question we ask is how long do we wait for him to turn goalscorer. We need someone else in with DCL continuing with his progress or we will have to continue this debate next season wondering why we didn't get a goalscorer in. Let us be realistic and admit that our striker has to chip in with 15+ goals or we will continue to struggle as we have since Lukaku left.

Again I want to point out that i'm not slating him here or saying he can't improve on this, but I think people are being a little too forgiving about the lack of goal threat in general.

If you don't recall him missing any chances, and he's only got 6 goals, then that tells it's own story I think, that he needs to improve on his ability to get chances. There was an example in the second half on sunday where Sigurdsson teed him up at the edge of the box and I think the entire ground expected him to hit it. He didn't though, he took a touch, maybe 2, and then passed it. It's that type of thing that he needs to work on, it was a chance but he didn't even get a shot away. It's all very well lauding him for running round when we're winning 4-0 but if he does that at 0-0 we're all going mad, hence you remembering him missing a chance at Fulham when we lost but not at West Ham when we won. The other players won't always score the goals we need, he has to be able to get his fair share too, and I think that's all anybody is saying in here.
His situational awareness is something he needs to work on for sure. Not long ago he had two wide open runners (in the Arsenal game I think?) and he tried to go solo. I’m fine with strikers being selfish, but for an unselfish player to do something like that hurt my brain a bit. He often makes weird decisions. Hopefully that and his finishing improves with time.

It's not about hate. . But he can't finish, but lukakus better but solanke is worth more but all he does is run but he's 22 and should be better, but but but but....

The boo boys are just sharpening their knives eh....

So what you are actually agreeing is that some players inputs aren't measurable in goals.....

Which in short is what we are saying about DCL...

But DCL is the main striker lol it’s totally different. You can’t have a single striker and him not be able to even hit the target when he’s through on goal

Yes mate because it makes perfect sense that a 38 year old Mark Hughes will perform the same as a 26 year old Mark Hughes, how marvellous.

And I haven’t said anything about bergkamps stats, only Baggio the non-scoring Italian who has a 1 in 2 strike rate

Please tell me DCL and Roberto Baggio aren’t being mentioned I’m the same sentence ?

This^^^^

What are you even talking about? Lol if he was a 30 goal a season striker he would literally be the best goal scorer I have ever seen at Everton in my life
I think you're now getting obsessive about this mate, look how many you're now answering and how much Kb you're now occupying, he needs to score more goals lets move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.