2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
The point is their value to the team was more than goals....

Roy Keane is a perfect example of this..... in my mind he never stood out as having anything particularly brilliant about his game from a technical or goalscoring standpoint. Yet every player who played along him said he made the game easier for them.

On talk sport Matt Holland said you knew that when he played other players would get 10% more out of their game. I see that in DCL....

There is definitely some merit to that. His harrying and chasing down sets the tone for other players to do the same.

He still needs to improve on a lot of areas of his game if he’s going to be top class. At present he’s on a level with King at Bournemouth and we need better than that.

The point is their value to the team was more than goals....

Roy Keane is a perfect example of this..... in my mind he never stood out as having anything particularly brilliant about his game from a technical or goalscoring standpoint. Yet every player who played along him said he made the game easier for them.

On talk sport Matt Holland said you knew that when he played other players would get 10% more out of their game. I see that in DCL....
I'm pretty sure them scoring every other game was quite important though, no?

Keane wasn't a goalscoring midfielder (although his numbers were probably quite similar to DCL's) but to say he wasn't particularly good technically is laughable. He had the perfect skillset to play his role in the team. Part of the perfect skillset in a striker is the ability to score goals, it's not really debatable. You don't have to be able to score 30 a season, but if you're not capable of getting 12 to 15 in the league as a sole striker you ain't getting very far. I'm not saying DCL can't do that by the way, just that he needs to if he's going to be our main striker.

I'm pretty sure them scoring every other game was quite important though, no?

Keane wasn't a goalscoring midfielder (although his numbers were probably quite similar to DCL's) but to say he wasn't particularly good technically is laughable. He had the perfect skillset to play his role in the team. Part of the perfect skillset in a striker is the ability to score goals, it's not really debatable. You don't have to be able to score 30 a season, but if you're not capable of getting 12 to 15 in the league as a sole striker you ain't getting very far. I'm not saying DCL can't do that by the way, just that he needs to if he's going to be our main striker.

Bergkamp was 1 in 4 for arsenal

Regardless.....Keane wasn't technically anything out of the ordinary. His best technical attribute probably his passing.... simple balls to keep possession and keep the team in shape.

His real attribute was his hunger, leadership, ability to face a team and not care for reputations and to be the man who would take the fight and give his teammates courage. That gave his team a platform and that is what I see in DCL...

Tell me something that Keane could do that Gerrard couldn't? Gerrard was arguably a far better footballer talent wise yet Roy Keane often got the better of him. It's all part of what makes DCL an unknown quantity in where he could go and achieve.

Only my opinion.
DCL worth about 12m currently because he doesn't slot.
DCL is improving and doing a job for us but failing in his main job as a scorer.
We need a scorer next season that integrates hard work with goals. The question is whether DCL will add the goals to his play for next season.
The scenario is that lack of goals from your main striker is going to hurt the team and cost us many points therefore IMO we desperately need another striker.
Let DCL continue with his progress and hopefully add the important factor of making, creating and scoring goals to his already impressive progress.
In my book he is not there yet but very well could be soon. That inbetween time we need a slotter to add goals to Siggy and Ricos tally and not wait for something that may or may not happen.

Selection of players that moved for more than £12m in 2018/19:

- Davy Klaassen
- Diego Rico (can't displace Charlie Daniels at Bournemouth)
- Benik Afobe to Stoke City FC
- Rachid Ghezzal (can't get in Leicester team)
- DANNY WARD
- Sokratis LOL
- ALFIE EFFING MAWSON
- Ben Gibson
- Terence Kongolo

I started crying after this.

Bergkamp was 1 in 4 for arsenal

Regardless.....Keane wasn't technically anything out of the ordinary. His best technical attribute probably his passing.... simple balls to keep possession and keep the team in shape.

His real attribute was his hunger, leadership, ability to face a team and not care for reputations and to be the man who would take the fight and give his teammates courage. That gave his team a platform and that is what I see in DCL...

Tell me something that Keane could do that Gerrard couldn't? Gerrard was arguably a far better footballer talent wise yet Roy Keane often got the better of him. It's all part of what makes DCL an unknown quantity in where he could go and achieve.
Gerrard and Keane were just different types of player. It's like comparing Gomes and Gana, they're not doing the same things. Keane actually had the ability to score goals, as evidenced by his record at Forest where he scored 32 goals from midfield by the age of 21 (DCL has 17 for us by the age of 22 just for context) but at United he was given a different role due to the attacking options they had.

Bergkamp's just an awful example for you to use really. Aswell as the fact that his scoring record was much better than that until he reached the veteran stage and the goals dried up, you have to remember he wasn't the main striker for Arsenal. He played a role like Sigurdsson plays for, us behind Wright and then Henry who definitely were prolific. They were the ones in DCL's position. Bergkamp was also a gifted player capable of moments of match winning magic, either scoring unbelievable goals or ripping teams open with passes. He was not a Dutch Shane Long.

Status
Not open for further replies.