2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
DCL was class today. No question.
He never scored but superb all round centre forward play. His timing, control, and ability to link the play has improved so so much in just a few games.
If he could start scoring a few for general confidence in front of goal then I’m more than happy to go into next season with him leading the line. He’s earned his chance imo.

Thought Marco's interview after today's game was quite telling:

Normally in my teams we don’t just have one player to score goals, not just the striker or one winger.

“I like it spread. The wingers can score, like Richarlison and today Theo Walcott also.

“We have one offensive midfielder like Gylfi who can score also.

Think it tells you all you need to know about how he views Dom at the moment

Keeps working hard and it’s thay hard work which could be allowing other players to score, a couple of goals will be great for him, every striker wants to score goals but he’s doing a great job for the team.

I would have Rom back tomorrow because he is a great goal scorer. His attitude looks a bit wrong but maybe there is rot at the core of his present club. DCL did really well today. As is so often said, if only his goal touch was good. He can be proud of his performance today, he gave Smalling a very hard time.

I would have Rom back tomorrow because he is a great goal scorer. His attitude looks a bit wrong but maybe there is rot at the core of his present club. DCL did really well today. As is so often said, if only his goal touch was good. He can be proud of his performance today, he gave Smalling a very hard time.

Managers need players who fit the system and Lukaku wouldn't get medical clearance these days to do the job Silva wants, he'd need Lance Armstrong's doctor just to do what DCL did in the first-half. I like Rom, and I like Tosun more than most, but this system needs a workhorse at 9 and that means a certain type of player.

If someone knows of another Aguero that'd be great.

Quite nice that he didn't score today...... he actually proved what I had been saying all week in perfect style.

Smalling and Jones will be sat in a bath of Epsom salts tonight soothing their aching bones. He dragged them into positions where they got confused... beat them to nearly every ball, had them burning 1000s of calories just trying to track him. Our attacking trio behind him must be buying him meals out in gratitude for his efforts. He and Gana make their lives easier....

It was as good as a performance you will see from someone doing that role without scoring.

Think of a prime Andy Carroll, Duncan Ferguson, Kevin Davies type player..... mix it with the athleticism of a young Anelka and thats what we have at the moment with this kid.... the rest will come.

That's man United, arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool centre halves he has taken on ' by himself and done a bloody good job.

The kid was absolutely outstanding today. Anyone who thinks otherwise has clearly never competitively kicked a ball in their lives.

Maybe that's why I rate him...I never Played at anything like pro level but played against centre halves who had played along the Welsh coast. I'm 5ft11 and played at about 14-15 stone so I was often involved in physical tussles. But that was in my late 20's

Im a strong lad but If I came up against a smalling or Phil Jones I would have got beaten up. This lad took them on by himself today.... his leap and hold up play is exceptional.... he has to be one of the fittest players at the club. To carry the increased bulk around at pace, jumping for headers and getting digged left right and centre is hard hard work.

He leaves it all on the pitch. Proper warrior.

Maybe that's why I rate him...I never Played at anything like pro level but played against centre halves who had played along the Welsh coast. I'm 5ft11 and played at about 14-15 stone so I was often involved in physical tussles. But that was in my late 20's

Im a strong lad but If I came up against a smalling or Phil Jones I would have got beaten up. This lad took them on by himself today.... his leap and hold up play is exceptional.... he has to be one of the fittest players at the club. To carry the increased bulk around at pace, jumping for headers and getting digged left right and centre is hard hard work.

He leaves it all on the pitch. Proper warrior.

You had trials mate? You sound a player

You had trials mate? You sound a player

No was a good skilful player at young age but was proper small (looked 2 or 3 years younger than my mates) .played for a local team but my size meant I got proper bypassed and I packed it in .... it wasn't like it is today.... all the better kids were bigger or vice versa. There were obvious exceptions to the rule were talent was just freakish - my mate in year above played for wirral schools vs Liverpool schools at goodison.... the player who stole the show was a scrawny little lad called Robbie Ryder.... he reappeared a few years later as Robbie Fowler.

Started playing for my local pub team at 21 after barely kicking a ball for 5 or 6 years and having a growth spurt and filling out. Pity I didn't stick at it when younger as my technique transferred well to my physical increase in size and it was as if I had played non stop. Never near good enough to make it... but can see and appreciate what the likes of DCL has.

Status
Not open for further replies.