2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you look at DCL's xG (https://understat.com/player/5555) - it's only 5.6 xG vs. 6 actual goals, so he's really performing as expected. Kind of goes against the point that seems to be made that he should be scoring a lot more goals.
What this points to as much as anything is that we are seriously not good at creating chances. Now whether that is Dom or the creative players is up for debate and is probably a little of both but aside from the 3 game Chelsea, West Ham, Arsenal run we really haven't been a good attacking side overall. Dom does what he can but as he is a part of an average attack we should at least be looking to bring in another striker to compete with him if we can't find an outright replacement. That goes for Sigurdsson, Bernard and Richarlison too. If we have the opportunity to sign a good attacker none of them have done enough to not be replaced.

Tosun is much better than him.

Tosun is a better natural finisher, no doubt, but to play in the premier league in a modern formation (usually one striker up top), you need a lot more to your game than finishing alone. Tosun is slow, poor at holding up the ball and doesn't make runs in behind or give defenders much to worry about.

DCL doesn't have Tosun's finishing ability, but he creates a lot more problems just by virtue of his pace and strength. His hold up play has also gotten a lot better in recent months and he's created a lot more chances than Tosun typically does.

That's why it is incomprehensible to start Tosun ahead of DCL - Tosun is simply not as good an all round centre forward for a premier league game. Chuck them both in a Turkish league game and Tosun would likely find the net more than DCL, but at this level DCL is a far better shout for his other attributes.

Tosun is a better natural finisher, no doubt, but to play in the premier league in a modern formation (usually one striker up top), you need a lot more to your game than finishing alone. Tosun is slow, poor at holding up the ball and doesn't make runs in behind or give defenders much to worry about.

DCL doesn't have Tosun's finishing ability, but he creates a lot more problems just by virtue of his pace and strength. His hold up play has also gotten a lot better in recent months and he's created a lot more chances than Tosun typically does.

That's why it is incomprehensible to start Tosun ahead of DCL - Tosun is simply not as good an all round centre forward for a premier league game. Chuck them both in a Turkish league game and Tosun would likely find the net more than DCL, but at this level DCL is a far better shout for his other attributes.

I think the overall point is neither are good enough. DCL is alright for games against the top teams when it´s his job to be a nuisance but at no point do I see him becoming the long term first choice striker.

What this points to as much as anything is that we are seriously not good at creating chances. Now whether that is Dom or the creative players is up for debate and is probably a little of both but aside from the 3 game Chelsea, West Ham, Arsenal run we really haven't been a good attacking side overall. Dom does what he can but as he is a part of an average attack we should at least be looking to bring in another striker to compete with him if we can't find an outright replacement. That goes for Sigurdsson, Bernard and Richarlison too. If we have the opportunity to sign a good attacker none of them have done enough to not be replaced.

I'm a big Siggy fan and argue that he's created chances that the likes of DCL, Walcott, etc. can't finish. But the stats seem to suggest that it's both the quality of finishing on DCL's end and not enough chances being created from the likes of Siggy.

I'm a big Siggy fan and argue that he's created chances that the likes of DCL, Walcott, etc. can't finish. But the stats seem to suggest that it's both the quality of finishing on DCL's end and not enough chances being created from the likes of Siggy.
Way too much of what Sigurdsson produces for others comes from set pieces. In open play he finds his way on the end other players passes to shoot himself but doesn't create for others at a good rate for a #10. Is some of that down to not having a top striker? Maybe. But for me finding another player to challenge both DCL and Gylfi makes sense.

Way too much of what Sigurdsson produces for others comes from set pieces. In open play he finds his way on the end other players passes to shoot himself but doesn't create for others at a good rate for a #10. Is some of that down to not having a top striker? Maybe. But for me finding another player to challenge both DCL and Gylfi makes sense.

I would argue his set piece play this season has not been up to par from his previous seasons.

But I agree with you - he's also not being played as a real #10 and probably wouldn't actually be good at what we typically think a #10 does. I think someone like Vlasic could make things interesting for Gylfi this summer - and possibly give us better opportunities to play a 4-3-3. Or someone else entirely.

I think the overall point is neither are good enough. DCL is alright for games against the top teams when it´s his job to be a nuisance but at no point do I see him becoming the long term first choice striker.
We blew 27 million on Tosun , and he cant trap a bag of cement - he is also so slow....

I would argue his set piece play this season has not been up to par from his previous seasons.

But I agree with you - he's also not being played as a real #10 and probably wouldn't actually be good at what we typically think a #10 does. I think someone like Vlasic could make things interesting for Gylfi this summer - and possibly give us better opportunities to play a 4-3-3. Or someone else entirely.
I agree regarding the set pieces. What has done has been more due to volume than quality. For me transitioning to a true 433 should be a priority.

We blew 27 million on Tosun , and he cant trap a bag of cement - he is also so slow....
Throw the money we wasted on Tosun, Bolasie and Klaasen together...
Rather than focus on failings of the past, let’s look to see how Brands can recoup as much cash as possible. Like me trying to go to the pub.

And DCL, perhaps he’s not someone who can lead the line, but for me he’ll be more than capable of being a good backup forward. Seems to enjoy it here too and always puts the effort in.

Rather than focus on failings of the past, let’s look to see how Brands can recoup as much cash as possible. Like me trying to go to the pub.

And DCL, perhaps he’s not someone who can lead the line, but for me he’ll be more than capable of being a good backup forward. Seems to enjoy it here too and always puts the effort in.
I have faith in DCL would love him to make the grade for us , and not some other club .....

Needs a season on loan in championship or in Germany to try to develop his goal scoring, we haven’t got time to wait, we need a goal scorer now

Needs a season on loan in championship or in Germany to try to develop his goal scoring, we haven’t got time to wait, we need a goal scorer now
We have not replaced Lukaku as yet - our whole budget would have to go on a striker who probably wants champions league football anyway - not happening - we have signed Tosun for 27 million , and he is very poor.......
we need to look in the bargain basement as the rest of the team is under review loan players may return back leaving our squad very average.... and older players need moving on etc etc....... we need maybe five players a striker is one of them yet we don't want another Tosun.........

Status
Not open for further replies.