2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think DCL plays the lone striker role well. Probably better at that than anyone since Felli was played up top.
Yes, he hasn't got a lot of goals in him yet but he definitely helps the likes of Sig and Richarlison (and hopefully Bernard) find space to score.
It probably makes more sense to count the goal return from the front four rather than the lone striker these days.

Can't see this happening, one not two will come in. Brands and Silva are clearly working to a brief of nurturing and developing young talent. If we ditch DCL to be a bench warmer not only does it undermine the seriousness of that strategy it would not do much to convince other young talents that we are a club where they will get chance to come through.

Cant see us signing more than 1 CF. Then DCL and the new chap will compete for a spot ;)

The grief that this lad gets epitomises the instant gratification fan base we have.

Doesn’t matter that he’s improving at a good rate, he isn’t a 15 a season striker yet so he is gash.
He’s in the unfortunate position of being thrown to the wolves before having a chance to build some confidence on loan. Done very well (especially recently) all things considered. Plenty of work to do if we don’t bring in someone over the summer, but there is no reason why he can’t make the leap next season.

The grief that this lad gets epitomises the instant gratification fan base we have.

Doesn’t matter that he’s improving at a good rate, he isn’t a 15 a season striker yet so he is gash.
That is not the way I look at it. I see an ever improving DCL which bodes well. I see a DCL who is not clinical which is understandable at his age. We are in need of someone that is more clinical to lead the line. DCL carries on improving and becomes more clinical then brilliant but to use him as our main striker next season (because he has potential) will be totally wrong for this club and will not do us any good. I think many of us recognise his potential but to lead the line on that potential only is not the way forward. He needs to improve further. Someone mentioned Graeme Sharp but it took him several years of in and out before he was good enough not to drop. I hope DCL goes on to become a monster striker for us but I pray he doesn't lead the line next season.

That is not the way I look at it. I see an ever improving DCL which bodes well. I see a DCL who is not clinical which is understandable at his age. We are in need of someone that is more clinical to lead the line. DCL carries on improving and becomes more clinical then brilliant but to use him as our main striker next season (because he has potential) will be totally wrong for this club and will not do us any good. I think many of us recognise his potential but to lead the line on that potential only is not the way forward. He needs to improve further. Someone mentioned Graeme Sharp but it took him several years of in and out before he was good enough not to drop. I hope DCL goes on to become a monster striker for us but I pray he doesn't lead the line next season.
It's not rare for ANY taller player - striker or otherwise - to mature a little later for whatever reason. He's got great physical tools. He's useful. It would be lovely to find a #1 striker that could do all the things DCL could do and more, but my guess is that we might get an established #1 another young talent...although Richy can play CF if needed.

It's not rare for ANY taller player - striker or otherwise - to mature a little later for whatever reason. He's got great physical tools. He's useful. It would be lovely to find a #1 striker that could do all the things DCL could do and more, but my guess is that we might get an established #1 another young talent...although Richy can play CF if needed.
Talking of which, is he still with the fit bird?

Please show your workings

You want me to show all the chances he has missed?

His shot against westham last week was a nothing shot, hit the target but not anywhere near the corner. This is common for him, his goal against city wasn’t going in until Delph put it in the top corner, his 1 on 1 ( can’t remember who against) when his shot was weak and not in the corner , took a deflection over the keeper, his chance against arsenal when he could have squared for R9 at 0-0 and he didn’t shoot or pass when 1 on 1 , the list goes on mate. He seems to be a decent kid, who knows he’s lucky to be a footballer for a living, really down to earth and works hard and I like him for that, but, his finishing is way below what is required and that imo means he will never be good enough for where we want to be.

The finishing will get better with games,confidence & more goals...

The lad is coming on & now looks disappointed when he does not score...

Expect more improvement the more he plays, he has every chance of becoming a top striker here & getting 20 goals a season in the near future...

You want me to show all the chances he has missed?

His shot against westham last week was a nothing shot, hit the target but not anywhere near the corner. This is common for him, his goal against city wasn’t going in until Delph put it in the top corner, his 1 on 1 ( can’t remember who against) when his shot was weak and not in the corner , took a deflection over the keeper, his chance against arsenal when he could have squared for R9 at 0-0 and he didn’t shoot or pass when 1 on 1 , the list goes on mate. He seems to be a decent kid, who knows he’s lucky to be a footballer for a living, really down to earth and works hard and I like him for that, but, his finishing is way below what is required and that imo means he will never be good enough for where we want to be.

You’ve just listed 2 of his goals, one game we won 2-0 regardless and then Arsenal where most of our players could have scored.

Also, when did we sign Ronaldo Luis Nazario de Lima

Without going back too far, the West Ham game should prove the point.

I have watched Everton and football long enough to know what a natural finisher is and DCL is not one

One game doesn't really prove much one way or the other.

I mean you could go back a couple of games to the goals where he has scored in and say he is a natural finisher just based off them. Doesn't make it true.

He is alright, we seem better when he plays centrally and he will probably keep improving. I don't get why we have to think too deeply about this.

The finishing will get better with games,confidence & more goals...

The lad is coming on & now looks disappointed when he does not score...

Expect more improvement the more he plays, he has every chance of becoming a top striker here & getting 20 goals a season in the near future...

That is possibly true but do we keep him as our main man until he starts getting 20 goals per season. That could mean the next 2 or 3 seasons we will still struggle for goals while we are waiting for him to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.