2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wrong - some do have that natural instinct i.e. Lukaku but its still something that can be worked on. Im not its his finishing that needs work, its his composure - he needs to learn to calm down and not rush etc when he's on goal.
Isn't that just a different side of the same coin? Composure is a significant part of being able to finish. Also, I'm struggling to think of an example of a striker who has shown no natural ability but learnt the how to finish as they've progressed.

https://www.premierleague.com/players/9576/Dominic-Calvert-Lewin/stats?co=1&se=210

His stats are not good enough scores about 1 in 6 chances. Stats also show this accuracy is worse than last season, yet he has scored more goals with less shots so far this season. So they dont tell the whole story, he is improving and if he continues to improve i say stick with him as one of a couple of strikers. We still need another as Tosun has not proven to be a decent alternative. we need at least two first choice strikers fighting for their place and i would like to see DCL be one with A N Other signed in the summer.

I think if we can offload the couple of deadwood strikers we have and sign a couple of new ones DCL will be a bench warmer striker, find it hard to see him becoming a real first choice scorer.

I think if we can offload the couple of deadwood strikers we have and sign a couple of new ones DCL will be a bench warmer striker, find it hard to see him becoming a real first choice scorer.
Can't see this happening, one not two will come in. Brands and Silva are clearly working to a brief of nurturing and developing young talent. If we ditch DCL to be a bench warmer not only does it undermine the seriousness of that strategy it would not do much to convince other young talents that we are a club where they will get chance to come through.

Can't see this happening, one not two will come in. Brands and Silva are clearly working to a brief of nurturing and developing young talent. If we ditch DCL to be a bench warmer not only does it undermine the seriousness of that strategy it would not do much to convince other young talents that we are a club where they will get chance to come through.

There is that point but given the age of DCL and the number of games in the first team he has had surely he should be much better by now. do you think in the some of the last games young players like Simms should be given a shot for say 30 mins?

Physically he has beefed up recently - for the knockers a young sharpy on arrival did not set the world alight - this lad cost us 1.5 million - he has a lot to learn in the finishing department , but I feel it will be achieved he has been feeding off scraps - he now links the play up from the midfield , and is a very good target man - compare him to Tosun - hes miles ahead...... in that he can trap a ball - and he is far faster - how much did we waste on Tosun?

I wouldn't even want him on the bench, if we want to be a decent football team we need players who are a lot better, fact.

Holy moley.

There is that point but given the age of DCL and the number of games in the first team he has had surely he should be much better by now. do you think in the some of the last games young players like Simms should be given a shot for say 30 mins?

Not at this stage of the season, I think he should have the chance to train with the first team in pre-season so Silva can assess his readiness for the step up.

I wouldn't even want him on the bench, if we want to be a decent football team we need players who are a lot better, fact.
There's a lot more players than him we need to get rid of before him - his counterpart in the England under 23 set up from over the park was sold for 19 million to Bournemouth, and imo DCL is way ahead of him.......not the finished article, but potential to make the grade next season if we sign a cheaper experienced striker as we did when signing Andy Gray.....

Status
Not open for further replies.