2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been critical of DCL for a long time and I still don’t believe he should be a regular starter (but who else have we got) Richarlison is a better striker, but he seems to be needed else where on the pitch. But DCL has shown me enough to think he should be kept as a squad player, he’s decent enough for back up, Him along with Davies Lookman Kenny and Baningame are the players I’d like to see us keep as squad players.

Spot on regarding his record Dave looking like a poor goal return and I've been a big critic of his because I want my strikers to "want" to score goals but I'll tell you what I've seen the past few games mate, a player who has been told by the manager "go on I'll give you a run of games as the front man and you show me what you have" and I've seen the players start to trust him a little more that he is capable of running the channels, hold the ball up and bring others into play and also to try and hit that box and look for a goal

Cardiff 3-0 scored
Rs 0-0
Newcastle 2-3 scored
Chelsea 2-0

4 games as first choice and he's scored 2 and that ain't to be sniffed at.

I just dont see him ever being good enough to claim the striker's role. We need to be filling a Lukaku shaped hole and Calvert-Lewin can never fill it. I wouldn't even retain him as a striker in reserve. All his work is done outside the box...way outside the box.

Brands needs to deliver in the summer on that no.9 if Silva is to persist.

In 2 or 3 seasons DCL could well be able to lead our attack, as long as he keeps progressing. Let's be honest he'll probably be here longer than Silva.
It'll mean we haven't progressed if he is.

Spot on regarding his record Dave looking like a poor goal return and I've been a big critic of his because I want my strikers to "want" to score goals but I'll tell you what I've seen the past few games mate, a player who has been told by the manager "go on I'll give you a run of games as the front man and you show me what you have" and I've seen the players start to trust him a little more that he is capable of running the channels, hold the ball up and bring others into play and also to try and hit that box and look for a goal

Cardiff 3-0 scored
Rs 0-0
Newcastle 2-3 scored
Chelsea 2-0

4 games as first choice and he's scored 2 and that ain't to be sniffed at.
No he’s done ok, but he ain’t a top 6 side striker, he wouldn’t even be back up for any of the top 6 sides. I’m happy with him as out number 2 striker, but shouldn’t be a regular starter next season, if we want t9 move higher u0 the table, which of course we do.

Sorry, but that’s absolute nonsense.
Wouldn’t push Rondon? Get a grip.

Do you really think that if we splurge 40/50mil on a top quality striker that we are then going to spend another 20/30 mil on another striker at the level to push them?

Or maybe we spend 10/20 mil on a young up and coming striker who could develop into a player who may take a season or 2 to get to the level needed to push our main striker?

Why do that, when we have a decent up and coming attacker already with first team experience?

You say he’s not squad level quality or ever will be.
Firstly, he’s been one of our best performers recently, so by that metric, NONE of our first team are good enough.
Secondly, he is very highly thought of by the manager, DOF and the England set-up, and I’ll take their opinion over yours tbh.
As far as your point about rondon, Dom is nowhere near the front man that Rondon is, nowhere near. As for the rest of your post, not sure what you’re going on about.

No he’s done ok, but he ain’t a top 6 side striker, he wouldn’t even be back up for any of the top 6 sides. I’m happy with him as out number 2 striker, but shouldn’t be a regular starter next season, if we want t9 move higher u0 the table, which of course we do.

I think we'll definitely find out won't we because the shirt is currently in his hands and he's probably got until the end of the season to convince everyone he can either a) be the main man or b) good enough to at least be in rotation

One things for sure he is rightly ahead of Tosun now in the pecking order and it's him who needs to be shipped out and replaced first.

As far as your point about rondon, Dom is nowhere near the front man that Rondon is, nowhere near. As for the rest of your post, not sure what you’re going on about.
TBH as bad as we have been, I still think the basis of our squad is quite good, striker is our biggest issue DCL has do ok, but for example Rondon would have been much better at bringing the forward players together. We need the goth striker in and that doesn’t have to be a big big name player, just one that will connect the midfield and forwards better.

Status
Not open for further replies.