2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but how many players who fell under the "potential/late-bloomer" bracket, consistently played in the Premier League, when their current ability was League 2 standard?
Loan the lad out to Rangers... he will score 9 goals up there. I would sell if someone wants potential! Come on Eddie Howe!!!!

So much wrong with this I don't know where to begin. Can't have sensible debates with people who are so out of touch with reality.

So you say my list is spread out and shows how rare it is? Yet you come up with only 3 ? Also at 22 shearer moved for a British transfer record so I would say he was a good player at 21. Dominic is crap and won’t turn into a decent prem striker so we should sell while someone will gamble on him and stop wasting our time with him

That wasn't me, I finished my point.

However good or crap DCL may be is open to debate. I am not taking sides. However he is possibly the only front man we have if your ignore the likes of Tosun etc. His future, if he has any here, will be up for a decision at season end.

However good or crap DCL may be is open to debate. I am not taking sides. However he is possibly the only front man we have if your ignore the likes of Tosun etc. His future, if he has any here, will be up for a decision at season end.
Sorry you’ve lost me there. He’s the only front man we’ve got if you ignore that he’s not the only front man we’ve got? I mean it’s true, I can’t argue with that, but I’m not sure that’s how it works.

DCL was playing against the best team in the league feeding off scraps. See how he gets on in games where he can actually get on the ball. As I've said earlier he isn't ready, maybe never will be, to be the main numbet 9. However Tosun isn't good enough either and it stifles Richarlisons game to play there. Given this season is now over I would play him from the start in every remaining game as I would with Kenny and see how far away he actually is. I think knowing he was going to get a run would ease the pressure and just maybe he might start taking his chances. He will never be prolific but some teams dont need their strikers to be prolific if they work for the team and create opportunities for others.
You say this like every match he played was against City.

We've seen him play against lesser teams and look gash. See the Lincoln match thread for evidence of this.

You say this like every match he played was against City.

We've seen him play against lesser teams and look gash. See the Lincoln match thread for evidence of this.

He's had good matches he's had poor matches but in the remaining 12 games we are playing against varying quality from 2nd best in the league down to 2nd worst if he stinks out every game he likely wont make it. If he plays well in some and poor in others we have something to work with. If he plays well in most maybe people will cut him some slack. I think it will be option 2, good games and bad games and if he starts 10-12 I back him to score 4-5 which is an ok return for someone I would be using off the bench/occasional rotation next season.

He's had good matches he's had poor matches but in the remaining 12 games we are playing against varying quality from 2nd best in the league down to 2nd worst if he stinks out every game he likely wont make it. If he plays well in some and poor in others we have something to work with. If he plays well in most maybe people will cut him some slack. I think it will be option 2, good games and bad games and if he starts 10-12 I back him to score 4-5 which is an ok return for someone I would be using off the bench/occasional rotation next season.
Did we not already do this last year when we had to play him as our only striker before Tosun came in???

Did we not already do this last year when we had to play him as our only striker before Tosun came in???

In a Sam Allardyce hoofball team?? He was played everywhere. I'm not saying he is the answer but I don't think Tosun will make it in this league and Richarlison is better suited to the wing. On that basis I would like to see him given a proper run as I would with Kenny to see exactly where they are! There is no one tearing up trees at u23 level so it makes sense to me!!

However, all strikers. What about Vardy and Wright your logic dictates they should have been ignored? And you are factully wrong about Shearer, you can say all you want jump up and down and thump the keyboard, the fact is his stock rose while playing in England youth side at 21. His club form at Southampton had been sporadic. Coincidently Lewin has just won an award with England youth...

What I’m saying is that you have named 4 players dating back to the early 90’s that we’re late bloomers. That shows how rare it is and if a player looks crap at 21 it’s exremely unlikely he will make it to the level we need and therefore gambling on him Ian a massive risk. With him being young, English and potential we and fees like 19m for solonke we should bank the money and find another Youngblood’s forward for peanuts and use the rest of the fee to go towards buying the best striker we can .

Status
Not open for further replies.