2018/19 Dominic Calvert-Lewin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok how many players were crap at 21 and turned out to be very good players ?
We aren't talking about crap players though, we are talking about teenage phenoms. You seem to have completely changed context.

Ask yourself how many players whom have'good'careers not even, spectacular, just good, that you had heard of as a teenager. never mind a teenager who is the best player on the park which seems to be the standard these youngsters are measured against.

The point stands, there are not many teenagers in the Rooney/Ronaldo(Brazilian) mould who utterly tore it up as teenagers and were up there with the best at that age. It is something that happens once a generation. You cannot hold the academy to the fact they don't produce at least one of these players each season, it doesn't happen, at any club in world football.

DCL was playing against the best team in the league feeding off scraps. See how he gets on in games where he can actually get on the ball. As I've said earlier he isn't ready, maybe never will be, to be the main numbet 9. However Tosun isn't good enough either and it stifles Richarlisons game to play there. Given this season is now over I would play him from the start in every remaining game as I would with Kenny and see how far away he actually is. I think knowing he was going to get a run would ease the pressure and just maybe he might start taking his chances. He will never be prolific but some teams dont need their strikers to be prolific if they work for the team and create opportunities for others.

We aren't talking about crap players though, we are talking about teenage phenoms. You seem to have completely changed context.

Ask yourself how many players whom have'good'careers not even, spectacular, just good, that you had heard of as a teenager. never mind a teenager who is the best player on the park which seems to be the standard these youngsters are measured against.

The point stands, there are not many teenagers in the Rooney/Ronaldo(Brazilian) mould who utterly tore it up as teenagers and were up there with the best at that age. It is something that happens once a generation. You cannot hold the academy to the fact they don't produce at least one of these players each season, it doesn't happen, at any club in world football.

Yeah but how many players who fell under the "potential/late-bloomer" bracket, consistently played in the Premier League, when their current ability was League 2 standard?
Loan the lad out to Rangers... he will score 9 goals up there. I would sell if someone wants potential! Come on Eddie Howe!!!!

Ok how many players were crap at 21 and turned out to be very good players ?

Ian Wright Jamie Vardy, although I would suggest their talent was not picked up on and of course Alan Shearer at 21 for England youth team, his club form had been sporadic upto that point.

Ian Wright Jamie Vardy, although I would suggest their talent was not picked up on and of course Alan Shearer at 21 for England youth team, his club form had been sporadic upto that point.

So you say my list is spread out and shows how rare it is? Yet you come up with only 3 ? Also at 22 shearer moved for a British transfer record so I would say he was a good player at 21. Dominic is crap and won’t turn into a decent prem striker so we should sell while someone will gamble on him and stop wasting our time with him

So you say my list is spread out and shows how rare it is? Yet you come up with only 3 ? Also at 22 shearer moved for a British transfer record so I would say he was a good player at 21. Dominic is crap and won’t turn into a decent prem striker so we should sell while someone will gamble on him and stop wasting our time with him

However, all strikers. What about Vardy and Wright your logic dictates they should have been ignored? And you are factully wrong about Shearer, you can say all you want jump up and down and thump the keyboard, the fact is his stock rose while playing in England youth side at 21. His club form at Southampton had been sporadic. Coincidently Lewin has just won an award with England youth...

Last edited:
However, all strikers. What about Vardy and Wright your logic dictates they should have been ignored? And you are factully wrong about Shearer, you can say all you want jump up and down and thump the keyboard, the fact is his stock rose while playing in England youth side at 21. His club form at Southampton had been sporadic. Coincidently Lewin has just won an award with England youth...
Factually, Shearer scored 21 goals in a season for his club at 21, reaching a total of 43 goals before his 22nd birthday. I'm pretty sure that played a part in him getting noticed.

Status
Not open for further replies.