Does Moyes' reign look better with hindsight given the dismal performances of his successors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh look I was spot on at the time (see also Sigurdsson, Martinez and Koeman) :)

Circular argument.

We have the 7th best squad in the league.

Which of the 6 teams with better squads should we be finishing above?

So suddenly putting together a squad better than all the other teams with similar financing and finishing above these teams EVERY season is failure.

If what Moyes does is so easy how come decent managers like Jol, O'Neill, Redknapp etc have only managed to match his performances when they've been given vastly larger budgets? As soon as they work with similar resources they finish 10 points a year worse off.

And which teams play better football than Everton CONSISTENTLY on similar budgets?

I don't think Moyes is perfect by any means but I hate the way the fire is turned on him after every set back. He is one of the few decent things about this club at the moment and the day he does leave will result in an almost certain drop in performance and consistency.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
Timak, Mar 11, 2013

Moyes benefited from a different regime. He encountered several rubbish patches. I suspect he'd have been offed long before he even got the chance to act the big cheese.

Edit: I suspect if Moshiri hadn't taken over Bill would have stuck with Martinez at least for another season.

Overstayed his welcome by four seasons and I didn't appreciate the fanfare behind his departure either (but that's more down to BK and his flair for the dramatic) but yeah... definitely better than the clowns that replaced him.

A dullard who achieved nothing in 11 years. As for the "we played some decent stuff at times"...if you can count those performances on one hand over the course of a decade that sort of defeats the claim in the assertion.

He killed United, Sociedad, Sunderland and almost killed West Ham. An appalling manager.

Yes and no. The big teams are now so much better than they were back then.

Better than Arsenal’s invincibles of 04? Better than Mourinho’s 05/06 Chelsea, Benitez’s Liverpool with two CL finals in 3 seasons? Fergie’s United from 07-11 with 3 CL finals?

The big 4 were at their strongest when Moyes was our manager no doubt about it. The top 6 might get more attention now but City aside they are nowhere near the strength of some of those sides that were literally strolling through CL campaigns season after season.

I think as the years roll on his reign will be viewed more favourably, especially as he got us comfortable in the top half despite having far less money than those who have had the job before or since
Allardyce: one season here = 8th place. D'you reckon he'll be viewed more favourably as the years roll on?

I used to get abuse for saying my "stats" had Moyes as being worth 10 points a season over similarly financed clubs.

60 points average in Moyes last 6 seasons in charge.
55.2 in 5 since he left including Roberto's first season.
51 over the last 4.
And Moyes last 6 included almost 2 years without signing a first team player rather than being in the top 10 spending clubs in Europe.

I used to get abuse for saying my "stats" had Moyes as being worth 10 points a season over similarly financed clubs.

60 points average in Moyes last 6 seasons in charge.
55.2 in 5 since he left including Roberto's first season.
51 over the last 4.
And Moyes last 6 included almost 2 years without signing a first team player rather than being in the top 10 spending clubs in Europe.
...last 6 seasons, last 5 seasons, last 4 seasons. Very selective. His successor needed just 10 months to bury Moyes' points record.

Oh, and he all but relegated us "achieving" 17th.

Stats eh?

the thing with moyes is, he absolutely loved the fact he could say we didn't spend every single year, so he could play it as over-achieving every year and make it all about himself and how good he is getting little everton 7th with no money

negative man who has been found out

Yes and no. The big teams are now so much better than they were back then.
lish t

Will disagree with you there. English teams performed much better in Europe in the late '00's than they have in the five years since. Last season was the first one where I thought that English teams were beginning to get competitive again. Albeit in Moyes' reign it was really only ever four teams, not six that were dominant.

I dont think anyone discredits Moyes, he was stellar for us.
Still, I dont want him back.

I think Moyes did ok. To cautious and never exciting. Don't want him back...Phil Neville in mid-field says all I need to say about Moyes' playing style.

He did manage to build a very good team towards the end of his tenure. That's why Martinez was able to have so much success in his first season here.

Better than Arsenal’s invincibles of 04? Better than Mourinho’s 05/06 Chelsea, Benitez’s Liverpool with two CL finals in 3 seasons? Fergie’s United from 07-11 with 3 CL finals?

The big 4 were at their strongest when Moyes was our manager no doubt about it. The top 6 might get more attention now but City aside they are nowhere near the strength of some of those sides that were literally strolling through CL campaigns season after season.

We got 4th with a horrendously average team. You’re picking specific squads there but overall the Top 6 are miles ahead of us now.

Status
Not open for further replies.