Does Moyes' reign look better with hindsight given the dismal performances of his successors?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All our permanent managers after Moyes have effectively stunk the place out. When Martinez, Koeman and Allardyce departed, they had all long outstayed their welcomes. I appreciate that a lot of people still feel animosity toward Moyes, but based on his performance as Everton manager, he was leagues better than any of his successors have been. He got us into the top 4 (which he still doesn't get enough credit for), led us to an FA Cup Final, and got us further in Europe than any manager since Kendall. He did this on a comparatively small budget. If Moyes had the money that Martinez and Koeman had, I reckon he would have spent it much more wisely. He also wouldn't have stood for transfer targets being dictated to him by a DOF, which has been a disaster for us thus far.

No, but then I judged him correctly at the time :eek: :p :D

Yes and no. The big teams are now so much better than they were back then.
This really. That gap has grown since Moyes left as we always predicted it would.

The TV deals have reduced the distance between us and the competition below us also but Moyes did work some miracles with his pittance of a transfer budget.

That said the few times he had money he mostly spunked it. The deals we made after the CL qualification and Lescott sales were mostly failures besides Distin and arguably Neville.

he was hardly a disaster lets be honest, moyes had us finishing 17th 1 season didn't he? like I said 99% of managers would have got the chop at the point, he was very lucky he had kenwright in charge who loved him
Not in the circumstances of the time mate. We'd been relegation fodder for a decade prior to the arrivel of Moyes and in his first full season he deliverd our second best premier league finish at that time. His second season was a disaster and he'd of probably been let go had we been doing badly by Christmas the next season but as we all know we finished 4th and only ever finished outside the top half of the table one more time during Moyes tenure.

Nope I still have the same opinion of Moyes as I always have - good manager who did well, especially in the first half of his reign, but also as the bloke who missed a massive chance to push that extra bit and raise us to the top table. And not sure I would want to trust him with Mosh's pile of dosh considering his how some of his bigger buys turned out to be honest, always seemed better on a shoesting. Best manger since Joe maybe but missed out on being great.

Head Scout Boy Fraud Walsh was never a DoF despite what his CV says.

Not in the circumstances of the time mate. We'd been relegation fodder for a decade prior to the arrivel of Moyes and in his first full season he deliverd our second best premier league finish at that time. His second season was a disaster and he'd of probably been let go had we been doing badly by Christmas the next season but as we all know we finished 4th and only ever finished outside the top half of the table one more time during Moyes tenure.

yer don't get me wrong I think he done a great job overall, took us from fodder to "best of the rest" but I remember some bad bad times/games under him and know if that was in todays game he'd have been under a lot more pressure

remember Bolton and west brom putting 4 past us at goodison, remember Bolton beating us at the reebok and thinking it was the worst performance I had ever seen

It's like saying Gaddafi was worse than Saddam Hussein,Everton have been rubbish for 30 years, doesn't matter who was the manager,moyes just took 11 years to build his team of failures,there's always likely to be ups and downs!

Best of a bad bunch and treated us with absolute contempt at the end.
I respect the stability he gave us but utterly despise the man.
Ultimately he won nothing for us and can therefore be consigned to the failures bin.

Moyes' reign was let down by poor performance above him, people have said he should have challenged kenwright for more money but it wasn't there due to the poor commercial performance from those at the top

however, he was a defeatist, and we would never have gotten anywhere with his mentality of 'happy to be here'

so yeah, he did a great job, brought pride back the club, and it was the right time to call it quits

just because you bounce around a few rotters in a nightclub after splitting with your long time GF you couldn't see a future with does not mean you were wrong to split up

moyes and his team are the reason everton grew on me and why i have been supporting them for the last 10+ years. hasnt felt the same since he left. and since moshiri has taken over all the fans care about is how much money we have and are spending or what other clubs are doing/spending. our transfer business has been so [Poor language removed] and players not giving a fk. we are the laughing stock of the prem.

Nope. We finished 4th and got CL under Moyes. Points totals don’t mean anything. You think the RS celebrate their points total when city pipped them to the league? Points totals all depend on how much fodder the season has. Look at city this season. Best team ever? Nope. Best points ever, yup. Just bumming fodder weekly.

Finishing fourth and then failing to qualify for the champions league don’t mean anything either. Unless you win a trophy it’s all irrelevant.

We were dire before Moyes and battling relegation. He stopped that. But was also incredibly negative and unbearable to watch a lot of the time. He brought some good understated players in who produced some nice football but he didn’t achieve anything with us. Just like none of the following managers have. But I’d rather have that first season under Martinez than any of the Moyes seasons.

Under Moyes, we were consistently fighting for Europe, played some far better football than is generally remembered and bought some absolute diamaonds for relatively little dosh. However, he will never be a winner as he has self-doubt and seemed to inject that into his players in the big games. Was way past his sell-by dawhen he eventually left!

Under Martinez, we were treated to some dazzling football in that first season, but where Moyes had self-doubt, Martinez had a blinkered attitude to the teams weaknesses and sadly believed that his natural positivity would fix all ills. Sadly, as seasons two and three proved, he was mistaken. Had just reached his sell-by date when he left.

Koeman? Christ knows, utterly baffled at what happeneed on his watch!

Allardyce, he gave us what we knew we would get, soul crushing football and the required number of points to hit his primary target. Deserved to go as when we reached safety, he insisted on playing dire football.

Silva, we will have to wait and see, between him and Brands, I am hoping for a return to buying relatively unknown players who turn out to be gems. I am also hoping for the levels of attractive football we enjoyed during the best of Moyes and Martinez managerial terms.

Moyes did a good job. But the opposition improved immeasurably and he was incapable of producing a team that could dominate the ball and a game, even at home.

Want proof? Look at his first season at Utd. At one point WBA had more of the ball than Utd. At Old Trafford.

Status
Not open for further replies.