Dixie Dean

Status
Not open for further replies.

monty

Sack Sky and donate to GOT...donations are needed
In Waterstones today looking for some presents and noticed a book based on the legend William Ralph Dean.................it covered a period of 27 games in 1923/24.............it was issued as a book for Tranmere Rovers fans and encompassed his entire Tranmere career, all 27 games.................how many others have books written covering such a short tenure at one club. As far as I'm concerned it serves to underline just how great Dixie was, legend and the greatest ever;);)

My dad, when he was younger, went with some mates to the pub Dixie had in Chester, ( I think it was the Dublin Packet) where he was happy to talk to all and sundry about his Everton days. He described him as a top man and gentleman

My dad, when he was younger, went with some mates to the pub Dixie had in Chester, ( I think it was the Dublin Packet) where he was happy to talk to all and sundry about his Everton days. He described him as a top man and gentleman

I saw him in there myself and when he was a doorman at Littlewoods in Canning St Birkenhead......given the job by John Moores to save him from being on the dole...............just look at what they get these days.............what would he be worth today

Provided he was at Everton...more than the club.

Straight up when I chatted with him he just oozed EFC, love the club to bits he sounded a bit like Bill Dean the actor but with his Birkenhead northend accent..............he would have worn that shirt of Rooneys and lived the motto to the end which he did dying at a derby game. I was on cloud nine to have had the privilege of meeting the man himself...one of my best ever moments more so now than at the time I must add

My mum still remembers seeing him with the Cup in '33 when she would have been about 4 1/2 years old - didn't stop her turning to the dark side though!

I saw him in there myself and when he was a doorman at Littlewoods in Canning St Birkenhead......given the job by John Moores to save him from being on the dole...............just look at what they get these days.............what would he be worth today

I read a book a few years back written by John Keith of Radio Merseyside on Dixie,
This is what a few of these big names could learn from this day and age

Dixie was talking a bout a time when he met up with Babe Ruth the yank baseball player
Not sure if it was at Goodison or not
Ruth was telling Dixie he should be a Millionaire by now and
To use the club to make his fortune
Dixie said he was not interested in using the club he loved

Read and weep Rooney,Lescott,Jeffers,
Fellas Dad,

I read that, the forgotten tapes I think it was called. He signed for Everton without even knowing what wages he was going to be on. A true legend and a true blue

For all the money they get now, how many of todays mercenaries would warrant a statue in their honour? - At any club that is, not just Everton.

damn, I could talk about William Dean all day, but I'm not going to.

You just run out of superlatives with this player, I just wish I had of had the chance to have seen him play, to score those goals he needed towards the end of the 27-28 season with the games remaining was nothing short of miraculous.

never booked or sent off, despite losing a testicle to some rough play, and even playing on after a nasty bike accident while out in Wales, the man was a colossus.

Soon nearing the 30th anniversary of his passing, surely there will be some event at Goodison to honor this, don't get up to Liverpool much these days to hear the talk on the streets, someone will know.

Status
Not open for further replies.