Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

My gf is struggling at the moment.

Due at the end of May and with two miscarriages in the last 2 or so years I think she has enjoyed being pregnant for about 2 weeks.

Hopefully all will be ok.

Keep us posted mate, it's bloody damn hard as the other half knowing what our girlfriends and wives have to go through so a lot of the time words of comfort aren't enough.

Stay strong and stay positive for her mate, not much advice but the best I can offer.

Take care and hopefully in around 5/6 weeks time you'll both have one of the greatest moments of your lives ;)

Keep us posted mate, it's bloody damn hard as the other half knowing what our girlfriends and wives have to go through so a lot of the time words of comfort aren't enough.

Stay strong and stay positive for her mate, not much advice but the best I can offer.

Take care and hopefully in around 5/6 weeks time you'll both have one of the greatest moments of your lives ;)

Thanks mate.

I'm hoping by the time it gets to the due date she just wants to have the baby so much other worries will go away... But what do I know.

Thanks mate.

I'm hoping by the time it gets to the due date she just wants to have the baby so much other worries will go away... But what do I know.

As has already been said, words are rarely comforting at a time like this. Likely, all she’ll want right now is reassurance, as simple as a hug and you to tell her “it will all be OK”.

Due at the end of May and with two miscarriages in the last 2 or so years I think she has enjoyed being pregnant for about 2 weeks.

All the best mate. Just take care of her best you can (which I'm sure you doing anyway). Look after yourself and use this thread if you need to vent.

You're nearly there. Can totally understand your girlfriend's worry- and yours. It's daunting enough anyway without the added past history. Keep us posted x

I am feeling acute anxiety about the whole situation (the virus, its impact on my family, friends and colleagues, the economic impact, the security of my job and my ability to keep paying the mortgage....). Does anyone else feel like this? How are you coping? I have previously been treated for anxiety and depression so I'm familiar with managing worry etc. But still this situation feels like way too much to cope with.

I am feeling acute anxiety about the whole situation (the virus, its impact on my family, friends and colleagues, the economic impact, the security of my job and my ability to keep paying the mortgage....). Does anyone else feel like this? How are you coping? I have previously been treated for anxiety and depression so I'm familiar with managing worry etc. But still this situation feels like way too much to cope with.

Thousands of people around the world will be feeling exactly the same way mate.

Anyone who says they’re not worried is either a liar or an idiot / both.

Just try and take each day as it comes and try to enjoy the little things in life that are still unaffected by all this.

Make sure you get out at least once a day for a walk or exercise / walk the dog, as cabin fever will only add to it.

Keep posting mate ;)

Yes.
Its rough goin. And if it lasts for months it will be very difficult for people.
Have suffered myself in the past and know i will with this . Most of the things that make me happy and keep my mind busy and occupied I cannot do now.

I was going to type the following, but the boy from L25 beat me to it.

Anyone who says they’re not worried is either a liar or an idiot / both.

Individually, there's next to nothing we can do about the situation, but collectively, we can help lessen the impact of the virus itself.

On the finances, if you're struggling, you can defer your mortgage.

On the economy, no-one knows, but, putting aside my political allegiances, there's not much to criticise the government on in that area, and it's in their interest to do what they can going forward

On your friends and family and the virus itself, you can help by phoning or skypeing them rather than calling round.

For yourself, set aside an hour or two a day to do something to take your mind off the situation. Can be almost anything, just so long as it avoids the news, twitter and anything else which is wall to wall talk about the virus ( including here ! ).

Things will get better, but it'll take time.

This is really more to everyone out there during this time: If you ever need anyone to "talk" to please do. These are very trying times and isolation is a massive issue in and of itself. I've been really trying myself to get my wife and I to cut back on alcohol because this is a MASSIVELY slippery slope to issues being locked in a place.

Nobody is alone no matter how few people may be in your flat.

I've just be sent to me by a friend , apologies if anyone has seen something similar but I found it quite comforting .......

This is from a teacher in China reflecting on lock down.

We are just finishing our 7th week of E-Learning, seven weeks of being mainly housebound and seven weeks of uncertainty. We are healthy, we are happy, and we are humbled.

We are allowed to move around freely now with a green QR code that we show when we get our temperature taken. You get your temperature taken everywhere, and it's just become part of the routine. Most restaurants and shopping centres are now open, and life is coming back to our city.

As we watch the rest of the world begin their time inside; here are some of my reflections on the last seven weeks:

1. Accept that you have no control over the situation. Let go of any thoughts of trying to plan too much for the next month or two. Things change so fast. Don't be angry and annoyed at the system. Anxiety goes down, and you make the best of the situation - whatever that might be for you. Accept that this is what it is and things will get easier.

2. Try not to listen to/read/watch too much media. It WILL drive you crazy. There is a thing as too much!

3. The sense of community I have felt during this time is incredible. I could choose who I wanted to spend my energy on - who I wanted to call, message and connect with and found the quality of my relationships has improved.

4. Appreciate this enforced downtime. When do you ever have time like this? I will miss it when we go back to the fast-paced speed of the 'real world'.

5. Time goes fast. I still haven't picked up the ukelele I planned to learn, and there are box set TV shows I haven't watched yet.

6. As a teacher, the relationships I have built with my students have only continued to grow. I have loved seeing how independent they are; filming themselves to respond to tasks while also learning essential life skills such as balance, risk-taking and problem-solving, that even we as adults are still learning.

7. You learn to appreciate the little things; sunshine through the window, flowers blossoming and being able to enjoy a coffee in a cafe.

To those just beginning this journey, You will get through it. Listen to what you are told, follow the rules and look out for each other. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm gonna be honest, I've found today a real struggle. Well, the last two weeks but today has hit hard.

I feel bad as a I know a lot of people are in a worse position than me but knowing I'm not gonna get any meaningful support from the government has knocked me a bit.

I know everyone is out of their comfort zone at the moment and hopefully everyone can get through this.

I'm gonna be honest, I've found today a real struggle. Well, the last two weeks but today has hit hard.

I feel bad as a I know a lot of people are in a worse position than me but knowing I'm not gonna get any meaningful support from the government has knocked me a bit.

I know everyone is out of their comfort zone at the moment and hopefully everyone can get through this.

I’m just living day to day mate and find that not thinking about tomorrow helps.

The thing that’s making it bearable at the mo, is that the weather is fantastic, so at least when you do get out it’s enjoyable.

I shudder to think what it would’ve been like if it’d been wet and cold all week.