Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

Guys, for the first time in my life I'm struggling. Working from home and I hate it - social distancing or whatever you call it isn't good for me. I'm worried about my Dad in Liverpool - he's 82 but I don't want to visit in case I unknowingly infect him. He's decided to go to a funeral tomorrow - which will be full of old people!! I'm worried about my son who has a customer facing job and deals with the public every day. I'm worried about my brother who lives with my Dad because if he gets sick, he can't stay with Dad and has nowhere to go. He'll have to come up here and be with us and we can all self isolate together. I'm worried about my Union members, I was supposed to be off today ( I don't work Wednesdays) I have spent the whole day dealing with f*ckw*t arsey managers who appear to know more about this thing than the Chief Medical Officer and are refusing to let people go home who have the underlying conditions. What's so hard about following the Government advice? I've told them not to come in, tell their manager they are following public health guidelines, work from home if they can and we'll fight the battle on the other side Some of our Liverpool staff who process DBS checks have been identified as key workers to fast track NHS applications. Which is fine - except they have all been told to sit together in one area to be " a team". People are phoning me about their partners workplaces and what should they do. One of my team mates, a lovely person but very very anxious was in tears on the phone to me because she is scared and worried. I am exhausted and feel like crying - which is very wussy and not like me at all. I have never felt so not in control ever. The only positive is because I don't have to drive to work for the immediate future I can drink on a school night. The rose is going down nicely right now.

Hope you don't mind me letting all this out to you x
One of the most difficult things a person can do is learning to accept what you can control versus what you can't control. Fight like hell for what you believe in, but don't take some tw*t manager putting his/her employees in jeopardy as a sign of failure. Report them, if need be.

This is a very unusual and unnerving time. I don't think anyone is expecting perfection. Vent away and pass the rosé.

Feeling a bit better today. Got things straightened out amongst family so hopefully people can move on. Four days of overwhelming anxiety was horrible, so my thoughts are with anyone who is suffering like that long term.

Thank you for the support I've received from everyone. You never know when you're going to need this thread and it's a god send.

Guys, for the first time in my life I'm struggling. Working from home and I hate it - social distancing or whatever you call it isn't good for me. I'm worried about my Dad in Liverpool - he's 82 but I don't want to visit in case I unknowingly infect him. He's decided to go to a funeral tomorrow - which will be full of old people!! I'm worried about my son who has a customer facing job and deals with the public every day. I'm worried about my brother who lives with my Dad because if he gets sick, he can't stay with Dad and has nowhere to go. He'll have to come up here and be with us and we can all self isolate together. I'm worried about my Union members, I was supposed to be off today ( I don't work Wednesdays) I have spent the whole day dealing with f*ckw*t arsey managers who appear to know more about this thing than the Chief Medical Officer and are refusing to let people go home who have the underlying conditions. What's so hard about following the Government advice? I've told them not to come in, tell their manager they are following public health guidelines, work from home if they can and we'll fight the battle on the other side Some of our Liverpool staff who process DBS checks have been identified as key workers to fast track NHS applications. Which is fine - except they have all been told to sit together in one area to be " a team". People are phoning me about their partners workplaces and what should they do. One of my team mates, a lovely person but very very anxious was in tears on the phone to me because she is scared and worried. I am exhausted and feel like crying - which is very wussy and not like me at all. I have never felt so not in control ever. The only positive is because I don't have to drive to work for the immediate future I can drink on a school night. The rose is going down nicely right now.

How are you doing today?

Hang in there. These are strange and slightly surreal times for all of us, and I think most of us will be thinking "what's wrong with this picture?" for a good while yet. Let's not forget that, for many, life wasn't perfect before all this mayhem started. I'm quite lucky as I've mainly worked from home for years (although I'm not used to doing it with all the family around me) so it won't be as big a change for me as it will be for others. So try not to stress too much about things you can't influence, and just focus on looking after you and yours as best you can. IIRC you've always been a big help/encouragement to others on this site, but I think it's great (and very healthy) that you posted when you're the one that's struggling. You'll be fine. x

Feeling a bit better today. Got things straightened out amongst family so hopefully people can move on. Four days of overwhelming anxiety was horrible, so my thoughts are with anyone who is suffering like that long term.

Thank you for the support I've received from everyone. You never know when you're going to need this thread and it's a god send.
Pleased to hear it all worked out, mate ;)

I’ve never posted in here before but have been struggling with stress and anxiety lately and nearly took time off work to go home for a few weeks ago for a short period. I regret not doing this now as I’m living in a shared house in London and as my parents are in their mid sixties and have had health issues in the past I can’t risk going up there just in case.

Since about Sunday I’ve had really bad tinnitus which I’ve never had before in my life but it’s quite loud and it’s driving me a bit crazy. I’ve been off work due to it as I work on a construction site and don’t want to risk any more damage. The site has remained open much to my amazement and I’ve been told that if we are not ill with the virus and are ‘just’ self isolating then we will only be getting statutory sick pay. What kind of a message is that? The idea of getting on the tube and going to work on a building site with hundreds of people fills me with fear right now. I’m hoping the government puts the city in to lockdown as the sick pay won’t even cover my rent of a room in a shared house.

Regarding my tinnitus I have been to the walk in centre and they told me to see my GP. Stupidly I never registered with a GP in London so I did so on Tuesday and was told I could apply for an appointment within 2-3 working days. It’s looking less and less likely that I will be able to get an appointment with each day that passes but I will try tomorrow at 8am nonetheless. I’m worried that I’ve got permanent hearing damage and I’ll be stuck with this white noise ringing in my ears for the rest of my life and it would likely require me to change jobs. The annoying thing is I could have got a GP appointment back home in a day or two. Down here it is a battle even at the best of times. I’m just trying to stay calm and not let it affect me too much and hopefully I can see someone soon, or it just goes away.

This is a bit of a ramble and I’m not sure what use it will do but there you go.

Take care everyone x

I’ve never posted in here before but have been struggling with stress and anxiety lately and nearly took time off work to go home for a few weeks ago for a short period. I regret not doing this now as I’m living in a shared house in London and as my parents are in their mid sixties and have had health issues in the past I can’t risk going up there just in case.

Since about Sunday I’ve had really bad tinnitus which I’ve never had before in my life but it’s quite loud and it’s driving me a bit crazy. I’ve been off work due to it as I work on a construction site and don’t want to risk any more damage. The site has remained open much to my amazement and I’ve been told that if we are not ill with the virus and are ‘just’ self isolating then we will only be getting statutory sick pay. What kind of a message is that? The idea of getting on the tube and going to work on a building site with hundreds of people fills me with fear right now. I’m hoping the government puts the city in to lockdown as the sick pay won’t even cover my rent of a room in a shared house.

Regarding my tinnitus I have been to the walk in centre and they told me to see my GP. Stupidly I never registered with a GP in London so I did so on Tuesday and was told I could apply for an appointment within 2-3 working days. It’s looking less and less likely that I will be able to get an appointment with each day that passes but I will try tomorrow at 8am nonetheless. I’m worried that I’ve got permanent hearing damage and I’ll be stuck with this white noise ringing in my ears for the rest of my life and it would likely require me to change jobs. The annoying thing is I could have got a GP appointment back home in a day or two. Down here it is a battle even at the best of times. I’m just trying to stay calm and not let it affect me too much and hopefully I can see someone soon, or it just goes away.

This is a bit of a ramble and I’m not sure what use it will do but there you go.

Take care everyone x

Stay well mate.

For what it's worth, the secretary of state for Housing recently announced that emergency legislation has been passed so that landlords cannot begin eviction proceeding for at least a 3 month period, so that's at least some comfort for many during all this.

I would eradicate all your non-essential spend, including any subscriptions, and minimise / delay your essential spend where possible. Call all of your outgoings including your landlord and council and request payment holidays / deferred payments or reduced / spread payments to ease your cash flow. On top of all that, plan for a cut in income, whatever happens. If you do all that as quickly as possible, as everyone else should be right now, you'll come out on the other side just fine.

With regards the tinnitus, my Dad had it after working in a manufacturing plant for 25 years so I know that can be nasty stuff, he no longer gets it so I know that there are things that can be done to ease it, or even cure it, even if they can't always do so fully for everyone. Definitely keep pushing to see someone about it though, the sooner it's caught and treated the better it will be for you.

Take care everyone x

I`ve suffered with tinnitus off and on for years mate, which is exclusively down to my anxiety problems.
I now use it as a barometer / early warning sign that my anxiety is ramping up and that I need to takes steps to address it.

Without wanting to be the harbinger of doom, tinnitus is something that is hardly understood.
The causes are known - anxiety, stress and prolonged exposure to loud noise, but there is no quick fix.

GP`s from my own experience know next to nothing about it and if you do get to see your GP you`ll be more than likely just be given a leaflet.

You`ll get much more help from - the British Tinnitus Association.

If you think back, when did it start ?

Was it after a really stressful period or was it after you`d been on site for a prolonged period ?

The way it reads to me, is that yours is as a result of stress and anxiety, which would be good news, as it means your ears aren`t actually damaged, it`s just a stress reaction.

The body / brain reacts to stress / anxiety in different ways and tinnitus can be one of them.

If it`s affecting your sleep the way I got around was by putting ear buds in and putting talk radio on, but barley audible, so it was just white noise, but enough to take the edge off the tinnitus.

Remove the stress and I`d wager it`ll go away.

I`ve suffered with tinnitus off and on for years mate, which is exclusively down to my anxiety problems.
I now use it as a barometer / early warning sign that my anxiety is ramping up and that I need to takes steps to address it.

Without wanting to be the harbinger of doom, tinnitus is something that is hardly understood.
The causes are known - anxiety, stress and prolonged exposure to loud noise, but there is no quick fix.

GP`s from my own experience know next to nothing about it and if you do get to see your GP you`ll be more than likely just be given a leaflet.

You`ll get much more help from - the British Tinnitus Association.

If you think back, when did it start ?

Was it after a really stressful period or was it after you`d been on site for a prolonged period ?

The way it reads to me, is that yours is as a result of stress and anxiety, which would be good news, as it means your ears aren`t actually damaged, it`s just a stress reaction.

The body / brain reacts to stress / anxiety in different ways and tinnitus can be one of them.

If it`s affecting your sleep the way I got around was by putting ear buds in and putting talk radio on, but barley audible, so it was just white noise, but enough to take the edge off the tinnitus.

Remove the stress and I`d wager it`ll go away.
Yeah it started after a stressful period.

I’m 32 now and have been wanting to move in to my own place for a while. I’ve saved a good amount of money living in a far from ideal shared house in order to buy as even though I earn a good salary it still isn’t enough to even rent a 1 bed flat an hour from work that isn’t in an absolute dump. I decided to try and buy but I just don’t earn quite enough to get something worth spending up to £250k on a 1 bed flat! This has caused me a lot of stress as I have a girlfriend that I love very much but she doesn’t want to leave London, whereas I’m starting to think it is something I must do.

My job is stressful and often requires me to do 12+ hour days with a 1 hour commute either side. I felt myself getting towards breaking point last week as I think the Coronavirus stuff has possibly pushed me too far and coincidentally that’s when discomfort in my ears started, and tinnitus started around Sunday. I also probably listen to music too loudly and regularly use ear plugs as my house is noisy and I have to go to bed before everyone else. I have stopped doing all this now and have cut out caffeine too as apparently that can contribute.

From what the nurse has said, you and what I’ve read online it is stress induced. I hope it is. My GP recently offered to sign me off work for two weeks as I was having very dark thoughts but I rejected it out of fear of what my boss/colleagues/builders would think of me. Silly in hindsight really.

I’ve known I’ve needed to make a change for some time but I have ignored some very clear signs and tried to be a hero and just push on. I think if I’d heeded my own advice a few weeks ago I wouldn’t be experiencing this right now.

Yeah it started after a stressful period.

I’m 32 now and have been wanting to move in to my own place for a while. I’ve saved a good amount of money living in a far from ideal shared house in order to buy as even though I earn a good salary it still isn’t enough to even rent a 1 bed flat an hour from work that isn’t in an absolute dump. I decided to try and buy but I just don’t earn quite enough to get something worth spending up to £250k on a 1 bed flat! This has caused me a lot of stress as I have a girlfriend that I love very much but she doesn’t want to leave London, whereas I’m starting to think it is something I must do.

My job is stressful and often requires me to do 12+ hour days with a 1 hour commute either side. I felt myself getting towards breaking point last week as I think the Coronavirus stuff has possibly pushed me too far and coincidentally that’s when discomfort in my ears started, and tinnitus started around Sunday. I also probably listen to music too loudly and regularly use ear plugs as my house is noisy and I have to go to bed before everyone else. I have stopped doing all this now and have cut out caffeine too as apparently that can contribute.

From what the nurse has said, you and what I’ve read online it is stress induced. I hope it is. My GP recently offered to sign me off work for two weeks as I was having very dark thoughts but I rejected it out of fear of what my boss/colleagues/builders would think of me. Silly in hindsight really.

I’ve known I’ve needed to make a change for some time but I have ignored some very clear signs and tried to be a hero and just push on. I think if I’d heeded my own advice a few weeks ago I wouldn’t be experiencing this right now.

It’s easy for me to say, but you need a break.

Maybe if you get shut down it might not be a bad thing for you ;)

It’s easy for me to say, but you need a break.

Maybe if you get shut down it might not be a bad thing for you ;)
Thanks mate.

I’m currently off work due to the ear stuff so I’m in full pay for now. I’ve been with my company for 4 years so I’d be due a bit of redundancy if they wanted to let me go.

Once this all dies down I might go back home for a bit and get a doctor to sign me off work for a bit. I think I need a proper extended break. Maybe a couple of months.

Take care everyone x

Hi mate. Sorry to hear that you're struggling. You're amongst friends here. Keep posting and let us know if you have any luck with the doctors tomorrow.