Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I think you'll find they will be of great help.

I went from sertraline to citalopram... and they were very good.
Hey, sorry for quoting an older post but I would like to thank you very much. I'll admit that I was hesitant to make an appointment again as my last experience with the medication wasn't the best. However, after reading your experience and what you have overcome with the medication, it give me the extra little boost needed to make an appointment and try the medication again. Even though the past two weeks I have been suffering from the side effects of the medication I had the extra motivation I needed to get through it and I'm sticking to it when I would have definitely give up by now. I know it sounds silly but reading some of the comments here have helped me a lot. I can't express my gratitude in enough words to you and the fellow users who replied to me in this thread. I hope a thank you is suffice and god bless you.

Hey, sorry for quoting an older post but I would like to thank you very much. I'll admit that I was hesitant to make an appointment again as my last experience with the medication wasn't the best. However, after reading your experience and what you have overcome with the medication, it give me the extra little boost needed to make an appointment and try the medication again. Even though the past two weeks I have been suffering from the side effects of the medication I had the extra motivation I needed to get through it and I'm sticking to it when I would have definitely give up by now. I know it sounds silly but reading some of the comments here have helped me a lot. I can't express my gratitude in enough words to you and the fellow users who replied to me in this thread. I hope a thank you is suffice and god bless you.

reading this makes it all worth while mate.

it goes to show that we can all help eachother on here ..

@COYBL25 posts and replies to me had the same effect on me. I wouldn't have taken the meds due to the stigma if it wasn't for reading this thread.

so glad that I did now, and glad that you've found some help too.

keep us updated

I've posted on here before about my son. We've been having trouble with him again over the last 6 months. Severe anxiety and depression. He's 13 (14 in August). He's not been out of the house in 4 weeks and not been to school for 2 months. We had to take him to hospital about 7 weeks ago because he was talking of suicide and he cut himself. Worryingly for me, he's recently started having some bad experiences overnight. He can't sleep and imagines he's hearing things, seeing things, thinks people are coming for him, the dog might attack him etc etc. Paranoid delusional type thoughts. It's taken a lot of pushing from our side but we are finally getting some traction with CAMHS. Tomorrow we have a consultant Psychiatrist coming to our house to access him as they are reluctant to put under 16's on medication. He won't leave the house for appointments so we have a CAMHS key worker who visits weekly and has been good. I'm hoping this is going to be a big step towards getting him in a better place. This is no life for a anyone let alone a kid. Not to mention the impact its having on the family.

I read this thread regularly as it shows that he's not alone with his struggles and there is help out there, including those providing help, support and encouragement on this forum.

From what I've seen on here, I've not seen much about people having issues with a child but if anyone is going through something similar then feel free to message me. If I've learnt anything through this nightmare, it's that it's good to talk.

Loneliness is a hard thing to deal with for me . Can do stuff during the day and try to but goin Into an empty house at night and only talkin to the dog has a major affect on me .

I lived by myself for years mate in an area where I initially knew no one.

There was a pub near to my house that I’d go to on my own to watch any live footy that was on.

Within a couple of weeks I’d become mates with the other lads who went into watch the matches and eventually got to know virtually everyone who went in.

Even though I’ve got a family now, I can still walk into the same pub and know most of the customers.

I’ve been on holidays, race meetings, weddings etc with lads I met in there.

Footy was the common bond !

I've posted on here before about my son. We've been having trouble with him again over the last 6 months. Severe anxiety and depression. He's 13 (14 in August). He's not been out of the house in 4 weeks and not been to school for 2 months. We had to take him to hospital about 7 weeks ago because he was talking of suicide and he cut himself. Worryingly for me, he's recently started having some bad experiences overnight. He can't sleep and imagines he's hearing things, seeing things, thinks people are coming for him, the dog might attack him etc etc. Paranoid delusional type thoughts. It's taken a lot of pushing from our side but we are finally getting some traction with CAMHS. Tomorrow we have a consultant Psychiatrist coming to our house to access him as they are reluctant to put under 16's on medication. He won't leave the house for appointments so we have a CAMHS key worker who visits weekly and has been good. I'm hoping this is going to be a big step towards getting him in a better place. This is no life for a anyone let alone a kid. Not to mention the impact its having on the family.

I read this thread regularly as it shows that he's not alone with his struggles and there is help out there, including those providing help, support and encouragement on this forum.

From what I've seen on here, I've not seen much about people having issues with a child but if anyone is going through something similar then feel free to message me. If I've learnt anything through this nightmare, it's that it's good to talk.

nothing i can relate to with that mate, but wow you (and your lad) have had a time of it there!, fingers crossed for all of you that you manage to start down a more positive path. I couldn't even begin to fathom how taxing all that must be on a still developing brain.....

I lived by myself for years mate in an area where I initially knew no one.

There was a pub near to my house that I’d go to on my own to watch any live footy that was on.

Within a couple of weeks I’d become mates with the other lads who went into watch the matches and eventually got to know virtually everyone who went in.

Even though I’ve got a family now, I can still walk into the same pub and know most of the customers.

I’ve been on holidays, race meetings, weddings etc with lads I met in there.

Footy was the common bond !

Same @blue to the bone - i used to walk my daughters dog to the local and sit outside, i got mates with a few lads who did the same. It may not be as straight forward for you, but there is nothing wrong with going the pub to have a few cold ones and get some food, its even better in the summer and when there is some footy on to get you away from things. Its one favorite things to do - i don't like eating my own cooking so getting food cooked for you when you're half cut is AMAZINNG. I go when there is a boxing match on too, loads of lads usually turn up then, i mean if you turn up to a local known for punch ups its probably not gonna end well and make you more anxious, but if you know a local 'quietish' one, like not a chain, you should be sound.

Good luck la

nothing i can relate to with that mate, but wow you (and your lad) have had a time of it there!, fingers crossed for all of you that you manage to start down a more positive path. I couldn't even begin to fathom how taxing all that must be on a still developing brain.....

Cheers mate. When I hear him trying to explain to a professional how he feels its sounds exhausting.

We had the visit today. Initially they said they wouldn't prescribe any medication but after much discussion she changed her mind and has prescribed him an anti-depressant. If there's one thing I've learnt with my interactions with CAMHS it's that you have to fight and push for everything. I think if you just sat back and waited you'd be waiting for something severely bad to happen before they did anything.

Posted a few weeks back about having some troubles and im working through them at the moment, been to see someone today and i am getting put on Citalopram. It is the only thing i can take due to the meds i take for my epilepsy, and i am trying to adjust the dose with them at the moment and that is a very complicated process as it has to be done in stages. What are peoples experiences of Citalopram? is it any good? thanks guys.

Posted a few weeks back about having some troubles and im working through them at the moment, been to see someone today and i am getting put on Citalopram. It is the only thing i can take due to the meds i take for my epilepsy, and i am trying to adjust the dose with them at the moment and that is a very complicated process as it has to be done in stages. What are peoples experiences of Citalopram? is it any good? thanks guys.

anyone got any experience for Simon?

i don't myself mate but just giving this a bump

I actually found a 20mg dose of citalopram the best meds for me , until I got severe nightmares on them. that's not to say you will get these, its just trial and error until you find the right dose and right med for you.

ive gone from sertraline to citalopram … now im on fluexitine, and have had to taper down off all of them before tapering up again.

its a bit of a pain in the ass having to do it, but the end game is worth it.

im currently on 40mg of fluexitine , im about 6 weeks in to them now and feel OK.

I defo don't feel as normal as I did on citalopram, but im hoping the bigger dose will 'kick in' as it suggests it does after 6-8 weeks.

if not i'll go back to the docs and see what they recommend doing.

one things for certain from now for me though, I will be staying on the meds regardless, as the side effects are worthwhile if it means not suffering from the horror that depression gives you.

I actually found a 20mg dose of citalopram the best meds for me , until I got severe nightmares on them. that's not to say you will get these, its just trial and error until you find the right dose and right med for you.

ive gone from sertraline to citalopram … now im on fluexitine, and have had to taper down off all of them before tapering up again.

its a bit of a pain in the ass having to do it, but the end game is worth it.

im currently on 40mg of fluexitine , im about 6 weeks in to them now and feel OK.

I defo don't feel as normal as I did on citalopram, but im hoping the bigger dose will 'kick in' as it suggests it does after 6-8 weeks.

if not i'll go back to the docs and see what they recommend doing.

one things for certain from now for me though, I will be staying on the meds regardless, as the side effects are worthwhile if it means not suffering from the horror that depression gives you.
Yeah this is what i have been put on at the moment (20mg) I will see how i go with it and hopefully it will help me as it really is the only thing i can take from what the GP and my Neurologist have said, everything else will cause my epilepsy more problems and im having enough issues with that at the moment as it is. Im not too worried about nightmares as my sleeping is pretty poor as it is and they want too refer me to a sleep therapist, i only sleep for 2-3hrs most nights, Will see how it all goes anyway, cheers mate.

I've stopped taking my Citalopram. I've been taking it for a few years, My reliance has been on helping me sleep, but its turned me into a fat zombie. I dropped my daughters breakfast, knocked the milk over and dropped a plate because i was so tired yesterday, My body was pleading with me to operate on its own.

I know people worry about cold turkeying from them, but i've had a few weeks in the past 12 months where i've not taken them with no ill effect. I look forward to being unhappy in real life and not on citalopram.