Discussion & help on depression & mental health related issues

I've stopped taking my Citalopram. I've been taking it for a few years, My reliance has been on helping me sleep, but its turned me into a fat zombie. I dropped my daughters breakfast, knocked the milk over and dropped a plate because i was so tired yesterday, My body was pleading with me to operate on its own.

I know people worry about cold turkeying from them, but i've had a few weeks in the past 12 months where i've not taken them with no ill effect. I look forward to being unhappy in real life and not on citalopram.

go steady bry..

keep us updated, ive noticed you have prolonged periods away from here , let us know how this goes though mate

Been a bad night, realised its time to just cut off my family because all they care about is me embarrassing them, and not my health at all. Painful decision to make that.

I've posted on here before about my son. We've been having trouble with him again over the last 6 months. Severe anxiety and depression. He's 13 (14 in August). He's not been out of the house in 4 weeks and not been to school for 2 months. We had to take him to hospital about 7 weeks ago because he was talking of suicide and he cut himself. Worryingly for me, he's recently started having some bad experiences overnight. He can't sleep and imagines he's hearing things, seeing things, thinks people are coming for him, the dog might attack him etc etc. Paranoid delusional type thoughts. It's taken a lot of pushing from our side but we are finally getting some traction with CAMHS. Tomorrow we have a consultant Psychiatrist coming to our house to access him as they are reluctant to put under 16's on medication. He won't leave the house for appointments so we have a CAMHS key worker who visits weekly and has been good. I'm hoping this is going to be a big step towards getting him in a better place. This is no life for a anyone let alone a kid. Not to mention the impact its having on the family.

I read this thread regularly as it shows that he's not alone with his struggles and there is help out there, including those providing help, support and encouragement on this forum.

From what I've seen on here, I've not seen much about people having issues with a child but if anyone is going through something similar then feel free to message me. If I've learnt anything through this nightmare, it's that it's good to talk.
I haven't been in this thread for a couple of weeks but saw this post and it really hit home. Everything you have said here is exactly what I have gone through with my daughter, now 17, even the paranoia. she was convinced that our dog had spy cameras in his eyes so refused to let him into her room.
She was diagnosed with depression, adhd, bpd, possible schozophrenia and bipolar (apparently they are impossible to accurately diagnose in a teenager) as well as ptsd from a horrible event she went through a few years ago, and has had 3 genuine suicide attempts.

I can see her getting better and consider myself lucky that for the past few months, for the first time in years I am now starting to believe I may not have to bury my child. I really hope you get to see the day where you can believe that too, there is no worse feeling in the world.

Please feel free to PM me if you think I can be of help, you are not alone and I know it is much harder to talk about this in public when it is not your fight

I can see her getting better and consider myself lucky that for the past few months, for the first time in years I am now starting to believe I may not have to bury my child. I really hope you get to see the day where you can believe that too, there is no worse feeling in the world.

Thank you. It's great to hear that you are getting somewhere and that it's a possibility for my son. I'll drop you a pm.

I haven't posted in here for a while. I was meant to be going away this weekend but I've had to cancel as I'm under going chemo and after this bout had a really bad time. I'm gutted about not going but was terrified about having an anxiety attack out there. I've had a few bad times before when I've went away and felt this had a good chance of going the same way.

I've posted on here before about my son. We've been having trouble with him again over the last 6 months. Severe anxiety and depression. He's 13 (14 in August). He's not been out of the house in 4 weeks and not been to school for 2 months. We had to take him to hospital about 7 weeks ago because he was talking of suicide and he cut himself. Worryingly for me, he's recently started having some bad experiences overnight. He can't sleep and imagines he's hearing things, seeing things, thinks people are coming for him, the dog might attack him etc etc. Paranoid delusional type thoughts. It's taken a lot of pushing from our side but we are finally getting some traction with CAMHS. Tomorrow we have a consultant Psychiatrist coming to our house to access him as they are reluctant to put under 16's on medication. He won't leave the house for appointments so we have a CAMHS key worker who visits weekly and has been good. I'm hoping this is going to be a big step towards getting him in a better place. This is no life for a anyone let alone a kid. Not to mention the impact its having on the family.

I read this thread regularly as it shows that he's not alone with his struggles and there is help out there, including those providing help, support and encouragement on this forum.

From what I've seen on here, I've not seen much about people having issues with a child but if anyone is going through something similar then feel free to message me. If I've learnt anything through this nightmare, it's that it's good to talk.

Struggling to find time to read this thread at the moment. Just read this post and I really feel for you and your family. I hope your son gets some help and his condition improves. Take care.

I haven't been in this thread for a couple of weeks but saw this post and it really hit home. Everything you have said here is exactly what I have gone through with my daughter, now 17, even the paranoia. she was convinced that our dog had spy cameras in his eyes so refused to let him into her room.
She was diagnosed with depression, adhd, bpd, possible schozophrenia and bipolar (apparently they are impossible to accurately diagnose in a teenager) as well as ptsd from a horrible event she went through a few years ago, and has had 3 genuine suicide attempts.

Please feel free to PM me if you think I can be of help, you are not alone and I know it is much harder to talk about this in public when it is not your fight

I hope your daughter continues to get better. All the best.

nice to read that she is moving in the right direction mate!

I've just spent two days doing a mental health first aid course run by TUC. It was very informative and will help me a lot in representing some of my members who have depression and anxiety. What I found extremely useful was the advice we were given on how to approach somebody who we feel is struggling and how to have a conversation with them especially if they are expressing that they are having suicidal thoughts. The guy who ran the course was from Carlisle and let slip he was a blue - Gary Speed and Aaron Lennon got mentioned. So, tutor at TUC Newcastle, just in case you ever check into this thread - thank you. The course was fabulous.

Aside from that, would recommend any of you asking for mental health first aiders to be introduced into your workplace. Mental Health England organise them. https://mhfaengland.org/